My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

to think that you should be able to exchange an item with tags on even if you've lost the receipt?

115 replies

bigyellajacket · 11/09/2022 16:05

Shocking service in New Look this morning. I'd lost my receipt but wanted an exchange, which I thought was normal?

The assistant was so dismissive and the manager just surly and rude.

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

347 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
82%
You are NOT being unreasonable
18%
hamsterchump · 11/09/2022 16:07

I've had this in Next as well when I wanted to exchange a gift, seems they won't do an exchange or refund or anything without a receipt now which I obviously can't get if it was a gift. It's shit I won't buy anything from them now, I sold the thing on Facebook marketplace instead.

Sh05 · 11/09/2022 16:07

Check out their returns policy on the website then go back if their actions did not match up.

JenniferAllisonPhillipaSue · 11/09/2022 16:08

What's to say that you didn't shoplift the item earlier or on a previous day, but realised you took the wrong size?

SavoirFlair · 11/09/2022 16:09

Just keep the receipt?

ClocksGoingBackwards · 11/09/2022 16:09

New look offer email receipts, get one of those next time.

LIZS · 11/09/2022 16:09

Legally they are not obliged to exchange or refund even with a receipt unless faulty or damaged or bought online.

RoomOfRequirement · 11/09/2022 16:09

It's to try to stop people shoplifting the item and then upon 'exchange' you get given a real receipt without ever having bought anything.

unfortunateevents · 11/09/2022 16:10

Fairly normal, you'd be amazed how many shoplifters return with stolen items looking for a refund!

OnlyFoolsnMothers · 11/09/2022 16:11

Zara say this- was given a present for my child that was way too big and wanted a smaller size no gift receipt. I gave a lot of Attitude and had a manager called who agreed. Bloody ridiculous

Pixiedust1234 · 11/09/2022 16:11

No. How do they know you didn't shoplift it or buy it from a shoplifter?

Keep the receipt safe or get it emailed (if they do that service).

bigyellajacket · 11/09/2022 16:11

I really hope I don't look like a shoplifter! Dear god!

Lesson learned, I'm usually lax with receipts because I don't mind an exchange, but I'll need to be more on top of them. I don't like the email ones and you can never get a signal inside that shopping centre anyway.

OP posts:
CapMarvel · 11/09/2022 16:11

Shops have no legal obligation to refund/exchange products bought in store just because you have changed your mind, and certainly not without a proof of purchase.

GertrudePerkinsPaperyThing · 11/09/2022 16:12

They can’t go by if you “look like a shoplifter” though. Can you imagine how discriminatory some peoples ideas of “looking like a shoplifter” might be?

dementedpixie · 11/09/2022 16:13

If you bought instore there is no legal right to an exchange or refund if the item isn't faulty. They may do it as a gesture of goodwill but would usually need a proof of purchase to do so.

carefullycourageous · 11/09/2022 16:13

Lesson learned, I'm usually lax with receipts because I don't mind an exchange, but I'll need to be more on top of them. I don't like the email ones and you can never get a signal inside that shopping centre anyway.

What does a shoplifter look like Confused?

Obviously they have to apply the same policy to everyone equally.

latetothefisting · 11/09/2022 16:14

LIZS · 11/09/2022 16:09

Legally they are not obliged to exchange or refund even with a receipt unless faulty or damaged or bought online.

This. Offering a refund at all is optional so they can dictate the terms in which they offer it. Otherwise anyone could (and people often do), walk into shop, pick up item, carry it to till and say they want to return it. The person at the till isn't able to scan the whole shop while also serving other customers so they wouldn't know you've done this.

As above, new look ofter email receipts (I'd be surprised if they didn't ask you at the time as they've done it for at least 5 years or so and they always ask at point of purchase in the shops I've been in) so take that option next time.

Pixiedust1234 · 11/09/2022 16:14

What does a shoplifter look like?

Discovereads · 11/09/2022 16:14

YABU
Its a well known scam to wander into a shop, pick up a few items, slip them off the hangers, stuff them in a carrier bag and then beeline for customer service and claim you are making a return but “lost the receipt”. So policy is always a flat no receipt, no refund. One way to avoid losing a receipt is to ask for them to email one to you, most shops will do this if you ask at the till. Then you can show the email receipt on your phone if you lose the paper one.

unfortunateevents · 11/09/2022 16:15

Funnily enough, shoplifters don't wear a sign advertising it. I remember in a Saturday job decades ago seeing a shoplifter apprehended by security – middle-aged woman, very well dressed and carrying a very classic handbag. I also remember the fiftysomething-year-old man, very respectable (looking!) came in and purchased an entire outfit allegedly for his adult daughter and paid for it using a stolen credit card. If that was happening all those years ago I can only imagine how finely tuned the processes are now!

bigyellajacket · 11/09/2022 16:15

I can't imagine the cheek of picking something up and trying to return it!

OP posts:
pigsDOfly · 11/09/2022 16:15

You do know that shops are not obliged to change or take items back unless they're faulty don't you?

Why should they change it if you don't have a receipt? As pp said you could have shoplifted it.

It's quite common, I understand, for shoplifters to try to get the money for things they've previously stolen by asking for a 'refund'.

Soubriquet · 11/09/2022 16:15

JenniferAllisonPhillipaSue · 11/09/2022 16:08

What's to say that you didn't shoplift the item earlier or on a previous day, but realised you took the wrong size?

In which case, most shoplifters would simply get the next size and take it.

It’s only when they want money will they try to return something

Discovereads · 11/09/2022 16:16

hamsterchump · 11/09/2022 16:07

I've had this in Next as well when I wanted to exchange a gift, seems they won't do an exchange or refund or anything without a receipt now which I obviously can't get if it was a gift. It's shit I won't buy anything from them now, I sold the thing on Facebook marketplace instead.

The gift buyer should always ask for and include a gift receipt for exactly this reason. It’s not the shops fault the person who bought you the gift didn’t get a gift receipt.

hamsterchump · 11/09/2022 16:16

Of course they don't have to offer a refund or exchange without proof of purchase (doesn't actually have to be a receipt) but they all used to as a goodwill gesture and now don't so maybe they should remember that we don't have to shop there.

pigsDOfly · 11/09/2022 16:16

See I've cross posted with pps

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.