Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To see the GP about this?

20 replies

Doctor111 · 09/09/2022 19:13

I had a cold around 2.5- 3 weeks ago that was particularly nasty for a couple of days (took multiple Covid tests which were all negative) which included a sore throat and cough.

I only felt properly unwell for about 3 days.

Since then when I inhale or eat I can't stop coughing. It's like the air from breathing is really sensitive on my throat and causes a coughing fit. My throat is on absolute fire from all of the dry coughing and it hurts to eat, drink, evening yawing has me wincing.

The cough is dry throughout the day but in the morning when I wake up I bring up quite a lot of bright green mucus (sorry!)

I know coughs can linger but my throat is now feeling red raw and I'm sick of having a horrible coughing fit whenever I inhale a breath!

WIBU to see the GP about this now?

OP posts:
HangOnToYourself · 09/09/2022 19:18

It could be worth getting a throat numbing spray as it could just be your throat is sensitive and raw so it's easily irritated (which makes you cough and perpetuates the cycle). Maybe speak to your pharmacist?

Sunnyqueen · 09/09/2022 19:19

I'd probably go to a chemist and get some advice from them, there's probably cough medicine or something for it.

Doctor111 · 09/09/2022 19:19

I've been using Difflam spray but it doesn't seem to help for long

OP posts:
Happenchance · 09/09/2022 19:21

I'd definitely consult a pharmacist first.

Exasperatednow · 09/09/2022 19:21

I would. It sounds like you might have an infection

Darkstar4855 · 09/09/2022 19:22

I’m not sure what the GP would do for a cough.

Allmarbleslost · 09/09/2022 19:22

Bright green mucous suggests an infection. Yea see a GP.

whatshouldIdo2022 · 09/09/2022 19:23

I had this a while ago after a vile cold/flu that lasted, I shit you not, 5 weeks. I remember crying at the GP because she said to eat lots of fruit and veg to boost my immune system but anything I ate or drank sparked a horrible coughing fit. I was told it was viral and sent on my way, and it did get better. Tiny sips of water helped.

shedwithivy · 09/09/2022 19:24

Allmarbleslost · 09/09/2022 19:22

Bright green mucous suggests an infection. Yea see a GP.

This.

Do you have a persistent temperature or racing heart rate? Could be chest inf/pneumonia. I had this a couple of weeks after a normal cold

TitInATrance · 09/09/2022 19:27

There was a lot of radio advertising 5 years ago urging anyone who had a cough more than 3 weeks to see their GP. This is still NHS advice, lots of details on their website.

I had a cough for six weeks at the time, scans found nothing out of the ordinary and it went away on its own eventually.

But yes - see your GP.

hewouldwouldnthe · 09/09/2022 19:29

A mainly dry irritating cough, is more about inflammation in the airways rather than an infection. One morning episode of green mucus isn't significant. You need something to calm down the inflammation, so steroids would be a better idea. Yes, speak to your GP. You used to be able to buy cough suppressants at the chemist but not any longer. I have this after a cold and it is just awful, the constant coughing and soreness. Throat lozenges may help, but be careful not to inhale one when you cough!

hewouldwouldnthe · 09/09/2022 19:32

Breathing warm, moist air at night helped with sleeping so i slept with my head under the duvet! It is awful though. Also night nurse as it contains something to help with sleep and sleep was elusive because of the coughing.

MyneighbourisTotoro · 09/09/2022 19:40

You can have coughs that linger, I had a cough for nearly 6 weeks, GP did the usually checks and weren’t concerned so sent me on my way, it eventually cleared up and it’s never repeated itself.
Hopefully your cough will also clear it’s self up with time but there’s no harm phoning the doctor though they may say book an appointment once it’s been over 4 weeks.

cherrypiepie · 09/09/2022 21:36

I'd call to the gp as I also remember the three weeks of coughing campaign From the NHS.

Have you tried pholcodiene to
Give you a rest from coughing? Especially at night

WibbleBibble · 09/09/2022 21:38

If its everytime you breathe in then you probably need some steroids so yes do get it checked

Hymnulop · 09/09/2022 22:28

God some of this advice 😲

Yes of course you speak to the GP. It's not normal to cough green stuff up and feel like shit for so long. Not sure why you need to start a thread about it.

QuestionableMouse · 09/09/2022 22:31

Darkstar4855 · 09/09/2022 19:22

I’m not sure what the GP would do for a cough.

There's been a campaign urging people to see their GP if they have a lingering cough.

Egghead68 · 09/09/2022 22:39

You might have laryngeal hypersensitivity if you feel like you have to keep coughing to clear your throat. It often gets missed. Advice is to try to avoid coughing (coughs beget coughs) and swallow/drink/suck sweets instead. Inhaling steam once a day can also help.

Another common cause of persistent coughs is post-nasal drip. You could try taking antihistamines for a week to see if it improves it.

Lingering coughs can also be a symptom of asthma and in some cases cancer so you should see your GP.

sarahc336 · 09/09/2022 22:46

If you have a persistent cough lasting for up to 3 weeks your gp would see you op, it's probably just left knee infection but this is one of the guidelines proposed by the nhs so I think just go and be checked over xx

sarahc336 · 09/09/2022 22:47

Left over infection not left knee infection 🙄

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.