Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Kids thank you cards

19 replies

Doyouwritecards · 08/09/2022 14:46

My DD has just had her 3rd birthday. She’s not a child prodigy and can’t write yet. Should I be writing ‘thank you’ cards on her behalf to everyone who gave her a present?

She opened most after people left the party, she we didn’t say a lot of ‘thank you’s’ at the time. Just the usual thank you for coming and for her gift.

I feel it’s a massive waste of money, buying cards, possibly posting some. And a lot of people will just recycle it after a week.

I could message everyone to say thank you etc. But am I right in thinking I shouldn’t bother with cards? My SIL’s write them so I’m feeling the pressure!

YABU - write cards
YANBU - don’t bother

Thanks in advance!

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

35 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
40%
You are NOT being unreasonable
60%
Sunnydaysunny · 08/09/2022 14:47

It's worth a card. It means a lot to people who have chosen carefully and you will get more presents for more years!

FrozenGhost · 08/09/2022 14:52

Why not do texts to those you know would like texts, and cards to those who would like cards. It will hardly be a massive waste of money though? You aren't sending expensive greeting cards, a couple of bits of cardboard will do or just some blank paper.

KiraKiraHikaru · 08/09/2022 14:55

Just say Thankyou when you see them. I do not understand this huge deal on mn about bloody Thankyou cards and letters. I don’t know anyone in real life who cares about this stuff.

PuzzyGalore · 08/09/2022 14:57

How about a little drawing done by your DD. I know it will be a bit of a scribble but doesn't matter. Drawing, note from you at the bottom, thank you for present love DD. Job done

I have stopped sending or giving presents to children who don't thank me, happy with texts, FaceBook messages or whatever. If you've posted a gift at least you know it's arrived if a thank you comes

HowManyWaysAreThereToSayThatEverythingSucks · 08/09/2022 14:58

I always send text or whatsup messages. Sometimes with a photo of dc playing or opening the preswnt. Sometimes video messages from DD to say thank you but its difficult to catch her on camera when she sounds enthusiastic enough.

Darbs76 · 08/09/2022 14:59

I’d just sent a text, no need to waste cards

OnlyFoolsnMothers · 08/09/2022 14:59

Nursery Friends- no need to follow up
Family/ Family Friends- send a whattsapp
do not bother with cards, unless an old relative would really value it, no one else will. If i received one it would go straight in the bin.

girlmom21 · 08/09/2022 15:00

I'd do texts.

DelurkingAJ · 08/09/2022 15:00

With us it depends who…DMum and DPIL get a phone call on the day, anyone who saw them open it gets thanked in person, my former nanny (DGM #3) gets a video message because that’s what she prefers. Everyone else gets a thank you card. At 3 I got blank card ones and DSs scribbled a ‘picture’ on the front with bonus points if they could tell me what it was!

abovedecknotbelow · 08/09/2022 15:01

Yes to cards, we've always done cards. It's particularly nice for the older generation.

mogtheexcellent · 08/09/2022 15:04

We do cards for those DD doesnt see very often and for the older generation. At the age of 3 for DD I remember writing them myself and drawing random squiggles with crayon on the front. Now I print a letter with an up to date picture and a printed thank you/what she did on her birthday note and DD adds more/does a sketch and signs them.

Rutland2022 · 08/09/2022 15:05

We do thank you cards for all family and close friends, we will do a Whatsapp for all the nursery friends. We are having a nursery softplay party and a separate family tea (she is also turning 3).

It’s basic good manners that I want to instill. DD will “write” her name on every card, she loves to do a scribble of her name.

mogtheexcellent · 08/09/2022 15:06

sorry forgot to add that I did the scribbles because DD was drawing stick figures with tits and willies on. It was a phase that didnt last long thankfully!

PuzzyGalore · 08/09/2022 15:12

mogtheexcellent · 08/09/2022 15:06

sorry forgot to add that I did the scribbles because DD was drawing stick figures with tits and willies on. It was a phase that didnt last long thankfully!

Ah yes that phase. As a young child about 6 I wrote a thank you letter to my Granny then spoiled it by drawing a bum on it. Made to redo the letter, my mother was not best pleased with me

Biker47 · 08/09/2022 15:29

I've never written a thank you card in my 30 odd years of being here, you say thank you at the time or when you next see them, or if you can't; you or your parents says thank you over the phone, or likely nowadays, you text somebody thank you.

holidaynightmare · 08/09/2022 15:33

You can buy 10 little cards for 99p at the card factory - I was brought up to always send a card

wednesday32 · 08/09/2022 15:34

Any form of thankyou is appreciated, but if you prefer not to do cards, maybe send a picture of them with the gift/toy/wearing the outfit and send that to the recipient. They know you have got the gift and are happy with it which is what they would want to know. As they get older get them to do a drawing/handmade card etc especially for grandparents and older relatives who would appreciate the thought that went into it.

Marvellousmadness · 08/09/2022 15:35

What we do is take a photo of dc with the given present and then send that photo to the mum of the kid.

Done

Marvellousmadness · 08/09/2022 15:35

Send that photo via text i mean

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.