Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Broken shower in rented property

11 replies

Helena189 · 07/09/2022 19:11

Hi, we rented a property a month ago, currently still not moved in, house was in a state, filthy, mold etc but that's another post 🙄 after significant cost to ourselves we're ready to move in this weekend.

Firstly i'd like to say this house was advertised with a shower downstairs and a bath upstairs. We was told the house would undergo an inspection, anything broken would be fixed prior to us receiving the keys. So when we first received the keys it was clear no inspection had been done, so we reported that the downstairs shower was broken, amongst a few other small things, majority of which has been repaired at either cost to us or the landlord. however after weeks of chasing the estate agent has said the landlord is not prepared to pay out to either repair or replace the shower because we have a bath upstairs but we can do so ourselves at our own cost if we wish. However the property was advertised with a working shower downstairs and a bathroom upstairs? AIBU to think that the shower should be repaired at a cost to the landlord?
the bath upstairs also doesn't have a shower head so I've looked online it also doesn't look like we could fit a temporary one due to the shape of the bath tap! the extra shower was one of the reasons we was drawn to this house to begin with because we have 3 teenagers, all of which take forever in the bathroom so we thought having an extra bathroom would have helped massively.

OP posts:
worriedatthistime · 07/09/2022 19:14

Should of been in a rentable state ? Mould etc is not in a rentable state, I would insist they repair the shower or reduce the rent

LionessesRules · 07/09/2022 19:25

Shower should be working, and the landlord should be paying.

Helena189 · 08/09/2022 07:53

Thanks, I thought it should have been, after already spending a small fortune I don't fancy having to pay out to have a shower fixed that should have already been in working order. I've sent another email, so will see what they say this time.

OP posts:
Lemonyfuckit · 08/09/2022 08:06

Your tenancy agreement should say something about the state of any fixtures and fittings provided with the property - ie that they're in working order, and that it's the landlord's responsibility to repair them if they stop working (unless due to your misuse etc etc).

OhmygodDont · 08/09/2022 08:11

Ask for a rent reduction due to the property not being as advertised due to the shower not working. Also send a copy of the advert or any emails where you have it in writing about a working shower.

Lemonlemon88 · 08/09/2022 08:15

That’s unacceptable. Your landlord needs to get the shower fixed.

Diplidocus4 · 08/09/2022 08:18

Isn't there a walk through handover with photos on rental property ? I certainly did as used the photos when I left to show damage already in place (and agreed) that they then tried to claim was me !

Helena189 · 08/09/2022 10:14

No walk through instead they had taken photos and had us sign them when we collected the keys, which we have since realised that they had angled the photos to hide the mould issues etc. when we collected the keys and signed the photo's I asked if the repairs had been done and he assured me they had. We've clearly been really naive but we didn't see any reason not to believe him 🤦‍♀️ we've only rented from family before so we didn't think to question anything!

When we viewed the house the previous tenants still had their furniture In so we didn't see the extent of the mould issues. They assured us an extensive inspection would take place after the previous tenants move out and then everything would be repaired and any mould issues resolved/treated prior to us receiving the keys. They had only fixed a door to the boiler and painted a small patch of mould treatment over the wallpaper under a window in one of the rooms!

I have sent a copy of their advertisement where they've said there is a downstairs shower room and a upstairs bathroom on the email this morning and I've also included a list of why we've been unable to move in yet.

OP posts:
Helena189 · 08/09/2022 12:11

They've emailed back and said they'll get it sorted next week for us! Thanks everyone

OP posts:
adalynsmith10 · 21/04/2023 05:52

This reply has been deleted

This has been deleted by MNHQ for breaking our Talk Guidelines.

sanityisamyth · 21/04/2023 06:03

This reply has been deleted

This has been deleted by MNHQ for breaking our Talk Guidelines.

OP said it was being fixed 6 months ago ...

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.