Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Rees- Mogg appointed minister for climate and energy

44 replies

TenRedThings · 07/09/2022 12:10

Liz Truss has gone and put fossil fuel loving, deregulation-obsessed, rich as Croesus, Jacob Rees Mogg in charge of both energy & climate crises. AIBU to believe this is going to be disastrous for anyone who doesn't have investments in fossil fuels ?

OP posts:
FlorettaB · 07/09/2022 13:17

’He has gimlet eyes’

That always makes me think of Terry Pratchett.

Friars23 · 07/09/2022 13:26

FlorettaB · 07/09/2022 12:37

There are a lot of Conservatives who see us leaving Europe as an opportunity to cut all kinds of regulations - things that were regulated even before we joined the EU. Employment law, environmental protections, farming regulations covering things like permitted pesticides and antibiotic usage in animals.

So v true and during Brexit discussions on here and elsewhere, so many refused to believe this. It’s grim.

Friars23 · 07/09/2022 13:29

cormorant5 · 07/09/2022 13:00

Might we get some strategic reserves of our own now and ignore the renewables only & anti-nuclear clowns.
However nice it would be to rely on Wind and Solar, we cannot yet. In this crisis we need everything we can get. We are likely to need these for some years yet.
I have close knowledge and a different perspective from DH who is a mining engineer.

Yes, we can’t get all our energy from renewables and some nuclear yet, but we need a government thar will accelerate the switch in the long term. Mogg will do the opposite.

OhhhhhhhhBiscuits · 07/09/2022 13:31

RaRaRaspoutine · 07/09/2022 12:42

He has gimlet eyes. Would hate to work with him.

He reminds me of the demon headmaster. I can't look at him as he creeps me right out.

Believeitornot · 07/09/2022 13:31

Ultimately, these are people who haven’t really had to confront the reality of their decisions.

They have made it to their positions, spouting nonsense ideas, and are insulated by money and power and will be when they leave office.

Look at their career history!

I have met so many people like them with similar ideas but as soon as you start picking apart their positions, it all falls down. No one around them will pick apart their thinking and they are not interested in actively seeking it out. Their thinking is so basic.

Either way, they will remain rich and privileged and have nothing to fear no matter what. They will never reap what they sow. We will.

I was a child when the last Tory government finally fucked off, and the country was driven into the ground. The Tories are doing it again. I can only hope that they don’t get a third pop.

Believeitornot · 07/09/2022 13:32

OhhhhhhhhBiscuits · 07/09/2022 13:31

He reminds me of the demon headmaster. I can't look at him as he creeps me right out.

Instead of criticising his appearance, criticise his policies.

Friars23 · 07/09/2022 13:33

TenRedThings · 07/09/2022 12:50

Suella Braverman, appointed home secretary is set to take us out of the European convention on human rights. Hold on tight folks, your rights as you know it are set to be decimated!

And she and the govt will try and conflate ECHR with. EU in the media to reduce opposition amongst potential Cons supporters. I am pro EU. I truly hope that the heavily weighted right wing media in this country will not mislead many again and this awful govt will not be voted back in again in 2024. I have been despairing since 2010 and they are just getting worse and worse.

lucielou82 · 07/09/2022 13:33

The haunted pencil strikes again!

CapMarvel · 07/09/2022 13:35

Can be criticise the fact that he can't stay awake in the HoC?

Just checking.

OhhhhhhhhBiscuits · 07/09/2022 13:36

When he releases any I will! As he is yet to release any what is their to criticise?

balalake · 07/09/2022 13:38

I think Ben Wallace has a clue, Chloe Smith and James Cleverly may have a clue, but the rest of the cabinet are useless. Or dangerous in their ideas, or both.

Jacob Rees-Mogg or someone like him would have no place in the government of any other country.

Believeitornot · 07/09/2022 13:38

OhhhhhhhhBiscuits · 07/09/2022 13:36

When he releases any I will! As he is yet to release any what is their to criticise?

You can criticise what he’s already said and done! He’s been in government a while. Plenty to choose from.

The reason why I said criticise his policies not appearance is that it is easy to dismiss childish insults but go for the substance - because that’s what matters. It is like criticising Liz Truss for wearing wrap dresses all the time. Irrelevant.

Magnus18 · 07/09/2022 13:45

GonnaGetGoingReturns · 07/09/2022 12:47

God - they'll hate him at BEIS!

I used to know a few policy people at Defra when I contracted there and one of them regularly saw Jacob walk past him on his way to HOC and said he looked exactly like a Slytherin.

Another DD I worked for in Defra (lovely woman, honestly!) used to work with/for Priti Patel at Dept for Education and one day (totally out of character for her!) went on a 10 minute rant about how much she hated Priti.

Sure she did.

Hmmph · 07/09/2022 15:07

Alok Sharma is still in post as COP Minister. I think he's a good person

FlippertyGibberts · 07/09/2022 20:00

FFS, we're doomed.

Valeriekat · 11/09/2022 00:04

TenRedThings · 07/09/2022 12:10

Liz Truss has gone and put fossil fuel loving, deregulation-obsessed, rich as Croesus, Jacob Rees Mogg in charge of both energy & climate crises. AIBU to believe this is going to be disastrous for anyone who doesn't have investments in fossil fuels ?

Not as rich as Rishi though!

Valeriekat · 11/09/2022 00:06

SpinCityBlues · 07/09/2022 12:34

What a fucking joke.

He's a fucking political, ethical and moral knob. And I hate his clothes and hair, just to be equal opps about it.

He is consistent then?

justasking111 · 11/09/2022 00:12

I'm on the fence he's a ruthless basteward and I Reckon he's more likely to push through interim energy solutions to avoid black outs this winter as much as possible. I foresee fracking North sea de mothballed and nuclear power racing ahead driven by a Man like this.

GreenLunchBox · 11/09/2022 00:20

VikingVolva · 07/09/2022 12:42

See thread about this

Health Secretary has stated she will be making no changes to abortion laws.

It's good to have politicians who can keep their personal beliefs out of their public policy-making. The Health Secretary looks set fair to do that.

Is Rees-Mogg also capable?

Bloody hell, we still have people that believe what the Tories say!😲

Enter Thérèse Coffey, our new Health Secretary and a woman whose record on abortion rights makes for more alarming reading than your next energy bill. The practising Roman Catholic has previously said she would “prefer that people didn’t have abortions, but I am not going to condemn people that do”.

The evidence might suggest otherwise. In 2010, as a backbencher, Coffey introduced a Parliamentary motion calling for women seeking abortions to be subject to “mental health assessments”. In 2018, she voted against extending abortion rights to women in Northern Ireland.

This year, she voted to remove access to at-home abortion pills for women in England and Wales and to recriminalise those who end their own pregnancies without the approval of two doctors - actively going against the advice of leading medical bodies and, according to a recent poll, what the majority of voters want across the political spectrum.

www.standard.co.uk/escapist/therese-coffey-abortion-laws-nhs-liz-truss-cabinet-b1023885.html

Point me in the direction of the thread. I think people are in denial 🙄

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.