My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

What's the obsession with private school parents & sports? Seems to be a deal breaker in choosing a school..

134 replies

Ewetoo · 06/09/2022 12:40

We know many parents with girls & boys ar private schools. They are all obsessed with their kids sport & the school sports facilities, teams etc.. Cross Country, athletics, rugby, football, netball, hockey even yoga gets touted... These schools also provide lots of homework... State school parents aren't nearly as bothered by school sport or aibu..

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

96 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
58%
You are NOT being unreasonable
42%
mondaytosunday · 07/09/2022 13:32

No one was obsessed with sport at any of the private schools my four kids attended. I mean I suppose some people are, but I didn't know them, possibly as I'm not so I'm not one of their 'tribe'.
I did go to all of my son's rugby matches though.

Newgirls · 07/09/2022 13:53

I think if I’d paid £140k plus I’d be saying ‘get in and do some sodding laps!’ so it is understandable why the parents are keen!

Hoppinggreen · 07/09/2022 13:56

minipie · 06/09/2022 12:44

I’m a private school parent and have only seen this on MN not real life.

In RL I know one parent who has mentioned the school sports facilities as a deciding factor but most are interested in academics and pastoral care first and foremost.

I have a very non sporty DD though so maybe it’s just because I don’t do sports chat!

Not our experience either.
Having said that I know some parents who’s children compete at National level have chosen Private because the school is more flexible in allowing them time off for competitions.

MonkNun · 07/09/2022 14:19

They’re brilliant social activities, kids learn teamwork and resilience, helps to keep them physically fit. What’s not to like?

Ewetoo · 07/09/2022 16:26

When I was at state school the only activity offered was cross country which was just running around the school yard😂

OP posts:
gatehouseoffleet · 07/09/2022 16:59

VariationsonaTheme · 06/09/2022 12:45

It’s perfectly understandable that parents who value sports as part of a well rounded education would seek out schools which provide a lot of sport?

I guess...but is sport outside school no good? My son went to a state school where the sporting provision wasn't great, he played the odd cricket match and did the odd athletics meet in summer but that was that. Provision for winter sports like rugby and football was considerably better but he wasn't interested.

But he swam and did athletics outside school. That cost substantially less than private school fees would have done, even with the cost of travelling round the country for competitions and training camps.

multigenhen · 07/09/2022 21:56

Newgirls · 07/09/2022 08:23

Another Herts thing!

the two local private schools have amazing swimming pools. The various state secondaries also have pools though they are no where near as smart.

but you know what? The private school kids still have a rota so swim once a week for a term each year.

by y6 kids are going to local swimming clubs in the sports centre and uni pool and do regular training there. So the most able kids swim together whatever school they are from. There is no advantage 🤷‍♀️

Yet the best swimmers and competitions, ironically, take place in slum Luton at Inspire!

365sleepstogo · 07/09/2022 23:03

Blueeyedgirl21 · 07/09/2022 11:21

So annoying because the private school kids get the chance to get better coaching facilities etc end succeed at say, cricket, when they’re absolutely in no way more naturally talented or hard working than a kid off an estate who wants to play but can’t afford club fees or a pair of cricket shoes. Despite what mummy and daddy think their kid isn’t actually special they’re just privileged!

IMO this is why mostly working class boys succeed in football - and therefore middle classes see it as ‘common’. If you’re talented you will be picked up even playing under 8s for a local team where it costs £2 a session and the coaches let the fees slide sometimes when mum can’t afford it (happens in poor areas all the time). Get under a big club’s academy and kit etc is provided, they sometimes even feed the kids and you even get your backpack and drinks bottle provided. People see football as full of hooligans and not rights but it can give boys from single income and disadvantaged families a real chance if they are naturally talented and hard working, which is refreshing seeing as mostly it’s how rich your parents are in this country that equals how well you do.

I don’t deny a lot of children at private schools are privileged.
However, middle class parents definitely do not think football is “common” - it’s played at most of the top end day schools (not sure about the boarding independents) with many also playing outside school as well, both boys and girls.

Ewetoo · 07/09/2022 23:17

@365sleepstogo agree, football definitely is trancending the classes & the lionesses have done so much for girls football. My dc's state only offers football afterschool & loads of girls signed up this week, way more than before the summer.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.