Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To be annoyed at MIL always correcting my spelling

28 replies

gonewithtthewind · 03/09/2022 20:05

I'm dyslexic, quite badly. I struggle a lot with spelling and punctuation and using the right words. I also get my B and Ds mixed up, along with G and C.

She'll message me and she'll always correct all my spelling mistakes, I said a product name wrong yesterday and she sent the correct name in bold writing to correct me.

It's really getting me down, I'm currently pregnant so extra emotional and extra self conscious about things at the moment. I'm really trying but I just feel like I'm being picked apart. My husband says not to get upset about it but it's hard when it's something you've always been conscious of!

It's like they all think I'm stupid at times, she knows I'm dyslexic, she knows how much I struggle at times. It's definitely got worse since I've been pregnant too. I have a 1st in my degree, I've done well in school, college and university and I'm currently doing my masters but they don't seem to get that even people that do well in these things can still have these issues 🤷🏻‍♀️

AIBU to be so upset? I feel so silly

OP posts:
SheWoreYellow · 03/09/2022 20:05

Why do you even text her?

Gatehouse77 · 03/09/2022 20:15

Is it possible she thinks she’s being helpful?

I’d be inclined to speak to her and let her know how it makes you feel. If she continues after that, just leave voicemails for her.

MabDresden · 03/09/2022 20:15

You are not being unreasonable at all, try and ignore it, it’s her problem, not yours!

Jackie246 · 03/09/2022 20:16

That’s really unkind of her :( I’m so sorry.

Holly60 · 03/09/2022 20:17

Gatehouse77 · 03/09/2022 20:15

Is it possible she thinks she’s being helpful?

I’d be inclined to speak to her and let her know how it makes you feel. If she continues after that, just leave voicemails for her.

I think this is a good idea. At least then you'll know for sure if she is just being horrible or not.

If you ask her not to do it and she continues, then you are very justified in stopping texting her.

Flowerytoe · 03/09/2022 20:18

Youre not being unreasonable to feel hurt at all. It could be bringing up memories of being a child being told off for something that wasn't your fault.

Please try to tell her how it makes you feel and maybe send her some info on dyslexia.

If you can't tell her how it makes you feel then maybe stop texting her. Voice notes or just calls.

NiqueNique · 03/09/2022 20:19

I’d be ending any written communications with her, and I’d be expecting DH to tell her straight out to stop being rude and obnoxious!

saraclara · 03/09/2022 20:21

"Sorry MIL, but I won't be messaging you any more. I appreciate that you might think you're helping my dyslexia by correcting my spelling, but that's not the case. It's destroying my confidence. I'm happy to call you or have you call me, but messaging simply isn't working for me. Thanks"

NiqueNique · 03/09/2022 20:27

That’s way more generous than this woman deserves. No one sends corrections back in bold because they’re genuinely trying to be helpful. They do it because they’re rude and obnoxious and because it makes them feel superior.

raindon · 03/09/2022 20:28

Stop texting her. DH needs to have a word with her and tell her it's not on. She knows it's not on she's being cruel.

MrsNobodyMM · 03/09/2022 20:34

Just send voice notes and if she asks why tell her. She's being incredibly rude by the way, you're not being sensitive.

NeverDropYourMooncup · 03/09/2022 20:35

What type of phone has an option for bold in texts?

My phone certainly doesn't.

NiqueNique · 03/09/2022 20:36

If she asks you why you’re no longer messaging her then for goodness sake don’t go on about it hurting your feelings or destroying your confidence...tell her you got tired of her tedious corrections and it got too difficult to stay polite when she’s so obnoxious.

HelzBelz06 · 03/09/2022 20:37

Is that all you can take from reading this post?
sad

MrsNobodyMM · 03/09/2022 20:38

@NeverDropYourMooncup just put an asterisk directly before and after what you want to be in bold.

try it.

saraclara · 03/09/2022 20:39

All of them?

rnsaslkih · 03/09/2022 20:39

Use Siri to dictate your texts

if she sends corrections, don’t reply to anything in that text. Train her like a dog.

AlisonDonut · 03/09/2022 20:40

tell her to fcuk off?

Arewethebadguys · 03/09/2022 20:41

Wow! *rsehole mil award goes to you! That's the most passive aggressive, nasty thing I've read on here in a while. How completely unnecessary. Just remember people who trample on others to make themselves feel better are horrible and she'll reap what she sows. Stay strong you sound like you're doing really well with your studies. I'd be inclined to distance myself when baby is here. No one needs that negativity in their lives. Good luck 🤞

MissHavishamsMouldyOldCake · 03/09/2022 20:41

Tell her you find it annoying and that you're not in school anymore so no corrections needed.

mtld · 03/09/2022 20:43

If she’s not very knowledgeable about dyslexia, she might think she’s helping you by giving you frequent corrections.

Next time she does it, ask her to not correct your spelling anymore as it isn’t helpful. How she responds will tell you all you need to know.

Congratulations on your academic achievements by the way.

Paddingtonsmarmlade · 03/09/2022 20:45

either stop texting her altogether, get dh to do any communication or voice note her in future.

Afterfire · 03/09/2022 20:45

How rude is she! 😳 Wow.

I think I would have to say I wasn’t going to text her anymore since she finds my spelling so offensive.

MyMumSaysALot · 03/09/2022 20:51

”Hi Karen — I am not a student and you are not my teacher. Please stop correcting my texts as if you are, or I’ll be forced to stop communicating with you. It’s very disrespectful and insulting, as you are well aware of my dyslexia. Thanks.
Hope you’re well — we’re all great.”

Moltenpink · 03/09/2022 20:56

Based on your perfect post you can’t be making that many! Have you asked her outright to stop? She sounds awful.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.