Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Is 12k to renovate a property enough

8 replies

Agsiajva · 02/09/2022 23:23

Hi

I am very near (fingers crossed) completing on buying my first home.

It is a 3 bed garden flat, it’s structurally sound and I could move in as it is but it’s very dated and the kitchen especially is lacking.

It is slightly more work than I was hoping for. This is the work I would like to do:
kitchen - paint units, new worktop, either restore floorboards or lay lino / similar, tile backsplash, paint walls and doors and then would need a few new (to me) appliances.

Bathroom - new flooring, paint, replace a few tiles.

Lounge - new flooring, paint/wallpaper, new / fixed fireplace.

3x bedrooms just require painting/wallpapering and carpet / flooring.

5 new plug sockets are required and multiple light bulbs etc.

The garden needs work but that is my last priority.

In one way I am very lucky, I have a tiler, electrician and joiner amongst family and friends who can give me a very good rate . I myself will paint the units and do some of the painting / wallpapering.

This 12k doesn’t include furniture. I am moving from a rental but have most furniture.

I am in Scotland if that’s relevant.

Thanks

OP posts:
Musicalmaestro · 02/09/2022 23:28

I think that sounds fine with what you are suggesting, especially with having family help.

Hotandbothereds · 02/09/2022 23:28

Yes I think if you’re not expecting to fit a new kitchen out of that but just spruce up the existing one then I reckon that’s do-able.

Are you planning on doing the decorating yourself? I always do so I don’t know if this budget would stretch to paying someone to do the decorating too.

Agsiajva · 02/09/2022 23:31

Hotandbothereds · 02/09/2022 23:28

Yes I think if you’re not expecting to fit a new kitchen out of that but just spruce up the existing one then I reckon that’s do-able.

Are you planning on doing the decorating yourself? I always do so I don’t know if this budget would stretch to paying someone to do the decorating too.

Yes the decorating will be done by myself and dp

OP posts:
EmmaC78 · 02/09/2022 23:33

That's more than enough if you have discounted labour costs.

BungleandGeorge · 02/09/2022 23:48

How much have your family quoted for the jobs?
personally I’m not sure if you’ll get all that but it does depend on what mates rates you get. You’ve got 6 rooms with new flooring, new appliances, new work surface, tiling (can you really just replace a few tiles, can you get matching?) and electrics. Plus redecorate throughout. And maybe garden

sst1234 · 03/09/2022 00:28

Are you sure you have looked at everything? Many FTBs think that painting a house will be enough. The amount of cosmetic work you describe means that nothing has been touched for a while. Are you sure you don’t need to re wire, replace the boiler and other essential tasks.

Agsiajva · 03/09/2022 01:28

sst1234 · 03/09/2022 00:28

Are you sure you have looked at everything? Many FTBs think that painting a house will be enough. The amount of cosmetic work you describe means that nothing has been touched for a while. Are you sure you don’t need to re wire, replace the boiler and other essential tasks.

It was bought a year ago by someone who rewired it, installed a new boiler, central heating and did lots of the ‘ground work’. They died suddenly before they could finish the project, very sad as they had planned the ‘cosmetic’ phase of renovation next and would've moved in in a few months.

I am expecting some hidden costs, it has been not lived in for a good while but a lot of the work is extensive because I have a very niche taste which I want for my own home. I could move in tomorrow if I bought a new oven and fridge.

thanks for your advice, I have 30k all in to cover absolutely everything to get me from rental to home (furniture, moving etc)

OP posts:
Agsiajva · 03/09/2022 01:31

BungleandGeorge · 02/09/2022 23:48

How much have your family quoted for the jobs?
personally I’m not sure if you’ll get all that but it does depend on what mates rates you get. You’ve got 6 rooms with new flooring, new appliances, new work surface, tiling (can you really just replace a few tiles, can you get matching?) and electrics. Plus redecorate throughout. And maybe garden

Tiles - no labour cost. Cost of tiles and materials only. I already have the matching bathroom tiles. Cost of dinner.
Electrics - no labour cost, if needed cost of new parts etc. Cost of cups of tea for the day and dinner.
Joiner - cost of fuel to get here and back (£100) and parts plus tea and food for the day.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.