Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Noticed Supermarkets feel glum?

Neverendingdust · 03/08/2022 22:50

I don’t think I’m imagining this but I’ve started to notice over the last month or two an almost gloomy muted atmosphere in the supermarkets where I live. It’s pretty noticeable that people are now conscious of the rising prices, the mood is almost somber and tense as they’re shopping. Has anyone else noticed similar? M&S, Sainsburys, Tesco and Co Op all feel very different, you can tell people are worried about the prices they’re seeing.

That excitement of popping treats into the trolley has gone for so many, doing the weekly shop has now become a challenge to simply spend the least amount but make the shop last longer. Peoples behaviour has changed massively.

Does anyone work in any of the stores and noticed the same?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Mamamia7962 · 03/08/2022 22:52

Can't say I have noticed any difference at all.

Please
or

phishy · 03/08/2022 22:57

Can’t say I’ve noticed anything. I picked up some wonderful bargains this week in the home and clothing sections. Chuffed.

Please
or

karomakulture · 03/08/2022 22:57

I was in London and the bit with all the really fuck off expensive shops was dead. I really think it's only people from the Middle East propping these places up at present.
But yeah, Tesco, also depresses me. Why are we paying so much more than even six months ago?

Please
or

Ukelele101 · 03/08/2022 22:58

I was in Morrisons today and there was a lady putting the reduced to clear stuff out. There were barriers around her which I have never seen before. I wanted to have a nosy at what was there but thought I’d return in a bit…I went down the next aisle to look at some other stuff and returned to it…..five full shelves cleared in a minute! I’ve not seen that before.

Please
or

chatterbug22 · 03/08/2022 22:59

Yes I know where you’re coming from, I’ve heard comments like ‘buy that one, that one’s cheaper’ and just people shaking their heads and looking fed up. We shop at Sainsburys and are not rich. We have shopped round all of them recently and Sainsbury’s is consistently cheaper, with more deals, price match Aldi and the stuff is better quality and lasts longer.

Please
or

Gingernaut · 03/08/2022 23:02

I've been in Tesco when the reduced goods have come out.

They pull all the stuff to be reduced off the shelves, back into the warehouse, price it up there and bring it out with security guards.

Please
or

karomakulture · 03/08/2022 23:04

As a person who has yellow stickered my whole life, I'm finding it tough.

Please
or

Wishihadanalgorithm · 03/08/2022 23:11

I’ve noticed that all of the cheaper brands are missing from the shelves with only the more expensive ones available. This was in Morrisons late afternoon.

Please
or

Nuisancepenguin · 03/08/2022 23:12

Yes, I agree OP. Seen big groups of people rummaging in crates of yellow stickered veg this week, asking the chap bringing them out what else he had. Seen people looking sadly at supermarket shelves saying things like, “That was 10p cheaper last week!”. Basic value items cleared from shelves.

Please
or

Ukelele101 · 03/08/2022 23:14

It’s so sad but also bloody scary. I have a good career and I am worried. It should not be like this! Im worried about lots of people I know.

Please
or

Davros · 03/08/2022 23:15

I was in London and the bit with all the really fuck off expensive shops was dead. I really think it's only people from the Middle East propping these places up at present.
But yeah, Tesco, also depresses me. Why are we paying so much more than even six months ago?

Which bit of London was that then 😂 ? I've never seen so many people out and about in central London, all spending...

Please
or

RichardsGear · 03/08/2022 23:18

If I'm shopping on my own I probably look pissed off; if I'm with someone it's a stream of consciousness: "Howmuchbloodyhelllookatthepriceofthatnowwe'regoingtohavetocutdownonthatputthatbackistherenotacheaperoneHOWMUCH??!"

Please
or

VeniVidiWeeWee · 03/08/2022 23:18

Seriously?

The war in Ukraine ring any bells?

Please
or

Eunorition · 03/08/2022 23:18

The veg is all rotten and the shelves are empty. Are people supposed to be thrilled?

Please
or

wherearebeefandonioncrisps · 03/08/2022 23:23

Yes I've noticed the poor state of fruit and veg recently, too.

People seem to hovering a bit longer and comparing prices as opposed to just grabbing the usual and moving on.

Please
or

PeloAddict · 03/08/2022 23:48

Ukelele101 · 03/08/2022 22:58

I was in Morrisons today and there was a lady putting the reduced to clear stuff out. There were barriers around her which I have never seen before. I wanted to have a nosy at what was there but thought I’d return in a bit…I went down the next aisle to look at some other stuff and returned to it…..five full shelves cleared in a minute! I’ve not seen that before.

I got filmed once looking at the yellow stickers. Was shopping on my break so had work uniform on and someone decided to film us calling us "skint fucking scum fighting for food waste"
We were just stood there browsing, nobody was pushing or fighting
That was pleasant I was trying my best to be calm in uniform

Please
or

karomakulture · 03/08/2022 23:49

@Davros really? I was in Sloane Square and Chelsea and most of the shops were empty. Salespeople sat around, this was on Sunday afternoon.

Please
or

Branster · 03/08/2022 23:49

Yes over the last 3 months I'd say it's a different energy.
For a start there are gaps on shelves.
But what annoys me is that prices have gone up and quality has gone down, even in presentation of some products. One example but not unique: a bottle of vegetable oil, label stuck on in a very slap dash manner. I know it's a small detail but it's annoying because I can't see the reason for it. Possibly less staff at manufacturing stage but same volume of work or simply rushed job to deliver the product as quickly as possible.. Regardless, we're accepting higher prices, we're accepting crap packaging, we're accepting reduced choice (this one it's for the better in a way), what's next? I pay the asking price, I expect a certain standard because it's been consistent for a very, very long time.
Small details but indicative of a 'don't care' attitude. By all means simplify packaging to reduce costs. But maintain some standards.
If it was only happening with vegetable oil I'd understand because of supply issues and we all know this is currently a problematic product. But other products? Even things like chocolate bar being broken inside the packaging. A lot.

Please
or

GuyMontag · 03/08/2022 23:59

Yes, I think more people feel stressed when shopping now. I certainly bloody do!

I was in the Co op the other week and Living On A Prayer came on. It spoke to me, I swear. Really, hear me out - I looked around and I could sort of see other people were thinking the same thing. Singing or humming along to it with feeling, like it was an anthem of the times or something, people catching each other's eye and looking wryly around. Then a different song came on and the moment was over but I was definitely not alone.

Please
or

Allywill · 03/08/2022 23:59

Our local tesco seems to going downhill. Less and less staff about, only 3 tills open with long queues for the self scan. Several broken freezers so much less frozen food and the lift has been broken since Christmas. This is a very large 2 storey tesco - not a small metro type either.

Please
or

RichardOsmansXraySpecs · 04/08/2022 00:14

Bloody hell, you're all more observant than me then.

I haven't noticed a sombre mood, anybody looking sad or security guards guarding yellow sticker items.

Please
or

VeniVidiWeeWee · 04/08/2022 00:17

@Allywill

"Several broken freezers".

You've obviously missed the memo about the hot weather.
A recent breakdown in my local store cost them about £250,000.

Please
or

GeorgeCat1 · 04/08/2022 00:19

Seems grand here. But I'm in Ireland. We're having a rise in prices but no stock missing.

Please
or

OppsUpsSide · 04/08/2022 00:21

😂 @ wonky stickers. For shame!

Please
or

HeddaGarbled · 04/08/2022 00:27

Normal here. There’s always been a scrum when the discount shelves get newly stocked. Good to see the food bank donation crates are still looking healthy.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.