Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Neighbour thinks im even for exterminating a wasps nest

39 replies

PinkBump2022 · 28/07/2022 15:14

My neighbour is elderly and lives alone. She said there was hundreds of baby wasps coming into her bathroom covered in white powder dying. She asked what the man was doing in my garden. I explained we had a wasps nest and the wasps were coming out of their nest an attacking us, I have a disabled 5 year old and the garden is his safe place and he spends most of his waking hours out there, so I couldn’t have these wasps ruining our whole summer holiday and not allowing my 5 year old son to play in his own garden. So I called someone to come and take care it.
now my neighbour thinks that’s evil that I killed hundreds of baby wasps instead of keeping my child indoors for the summer until the wasps had gone….

i honestly don’t see what I have done wrong!! If they were not bothering us then I would have left them but as soon as we came out of our back door they were flying up to us trying to sting.

was I “evil” to have a wasp nest removed from my garden ?

OP posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

Discovereads · 28/07/2022 15:16

YANBU to have the wasps exterminated, but you should have forewarned your neighbour so she could have closed her windows. It’s not nice to have to put up with hundreds of dying wasps covered in poison flying in your bathroom window.

Please
or

BlanketsBanned · 28/07/2022 15:17

No you are not we have just had a wasps nest removed I know they are good pollinators but they sting indescrimately and if she is so upset maybe she would lime to attract them into her own garden.

Please
or

Dominant · 28/07/2022 15:19

Did she actually say you are evil to do this?

Please
or

Chickychoccyegg · 28/07/2022 15:20

Definitely not evil to kills the wasps (wasps are pretty evil though 😁)

Please
or

Coughee · 28/07/2022 15:22

Well we have one in our garden but they're not bothering us so I'm going to leave them there. If they were stopping us going out in the garden I would have done the same as you.

Please
or

PinkBump2022 · 28/07/2022 15:43

@Dominant yes she did I just laughed. I’d be more evil to send my 5 year old child outside to be stung who has no sense of danger and wouldn’t understand what they are and most likely walk straight into the nest area

OP posts:
Please
or

flumposie · 28/07/2022 15:43

Yanbu I was stung by a wasp on Sunday. All I was doing was walking outside minding my own business and then I felt a sting on the inside of my arm😡

Please
or

gnilliwdog · 28/07/2022 15:44

We do need pollinators, otherwise we all die. I would be worried the poison would spread to bees, birds, butterflies etc too. I did hear wasps get grumpy in late summer as they are hungry and coming to the end of their lives. We put sugar water out which I think keeps them calm and allows them to die happy. I can see why you would want to move them on, wish you had some other option besides spreading poison, though.

Please
or

KeyboardWarriorsUnite · 28/07/2022 15:49

YANBU to get rid of the wasps
YABU not to forewarn your immediate neighbours, so that they could take measures not to get invaded by them

Please
or

FlorettaB · 28/07/2022 15:50

Why on earth didn’t you warn your neighbours first?

Please
or

rickandmorts · 28/07/2022 15:57

flumposie · 28/07/2022 15:43

Yanbu I was stung by a wasp on Sunday. All I was doing was walking outside minding my own business and then I felt a sting on the inside of my arm😡

Same!! I always thought if you left them alone they left you alone but one angry little fucker attacked me on Monday and my arm all swelled up. Horrible things

Please
or

ChiefWiggumsBoy · 28/07/2022 15:57

Why are you giving this a second thought. Of course it's not evil.

Please
or

Coffeeenema · 28/07/2022 16:12

Ignore the old bat.

Please
or

Meraas · 28/07/2022 16:15

you should have forewarned your neighbour so she could have closed her windows. It’s not nice to have to put up with hundreds of dying wasps covered in poison flying in your bathroom window.

Yea, why didn’t you warn her OP?

Fine to exterminate but should have told her.

Please
or

gatehouseoffleet · 28/07/2022 16:18

Around this time of year is ok to get rid of them because they start dying off anyway. This is when their job is done and they start harassing humans. You are probably a couple of weeks ahead of the curve, but they are going to die anyway.

Please
or

gnilliwdog · 28/07/2022 16:22

It is very unusual, but some people are really distressed by ant creature suffering. I have neuro divergent friends who really suffer when they see something hurt. She is alone, elderly and obviously upset. I think you should apologise to her, and try to explain how concerned you were for your son. Maybe in future she will have an idea of how to deal more humanely with this sort of thing, or at least you can stay on reasonably good terms.

Please
or

Silverfinch · 28/07/2022 16:25

Yanbu but if I wasn't warned as a neighbour so I could close my windows I'd be raging.

Please
or

PatchworkElmer · 28/07/2022 16:30

I think it’s pretty poor that you didn’t warn her so that she could shut her windows tbh.

Please
or

lemmein · 28/07/2022 16:54

It wouldn't even occur to me to warn my neighbours - I would now after reading this thread, but I don't think the OPs unusual for not mentioning it. How many neighbours would you warn, just next-door? (How far do poisoned wasps fly?)

It's not evil to kill wasps - they ruin summer, horrible things 😖

Please
or

StoneofDestiny · 28/07/2022 16:58

I've got rid of wasp nests in various houses, never warned my neighbours. Your neighbour clearly has 'issues' and it's nothing to do with wasps. Calling you evil is an indicator she is bonkers.
Are we evil for swatting flies too?

Please
or

shootfromthehip145 · 28/07/2022 17:17

gnilliwdog · 28/07/2022 15:44

We do need pollinators, otherwise we all die. I would be worried the poison would spread to bees, birds, butterflies etc too. I did hear wasps get grumpy in late summer as they are hungry and coming to the end of their lives. We put sugar water out which I think keeps them calm and allows them to die happy. I can see why you would want to move them on, wish you had some other option besides spreading poison, though.

Also just remember wasps only sting if they feel threatened or protecting their colony.

Adult wasps also cannot digest the food they catch because their gut is so constricted by their thin waists. Workers chew prey brought back by wasps and feed it to the larvae. In return, the larvae produce a sugar-rich spit that the workers can drink.

As the year goes on August/September the old queen stops laying and the wasps, no longer get fed by the colony. Instead, they need to try to survive on sugar produced by rotting fruit. Wasps can become intoxicated on the alcohol produced by rotting fruit and become a problem to humans.
But also they become bad tempered as they are slowly starving to death and don't have long to live any way.

Wasps also consume pest species that damage all our food crops they consume around 14,000 tons per year. That's a massive boost to our food industry for free.

They are not evil they are invaluable to our ecosystem and with out them you would have no food.

Please
or

gnilliwdog · 28/07/2022 17:35

@shootfromthehip145 Thank you, really interesting. Amazing little creatures that actually ensure our own survival.

Please
or

NeedMoreMilk · 28/07/2022 17:44

Also just remember wasps only sting if they feel threatened or protecting their colony.

I think wasps themselves have subtly spread this misinformation as

Please
or

NeedMoreMilk · 28/07/2022 17:46

Urgh. Posted too soon.

*as part of their master plan.

Please
or

BlanketsBanned · 28/07/2022 17:46

This message has been withdrawn at the poster's request

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?