Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

To think the cost of living crisis isn't really a "crisis" for most people?

648 replies

buzzheath · 23/07/2022 12:15

Not meant to be inflammatory at all. I'm well aware of the hardships that some people and families will face. But for the majority of people in the UK, will it really be a "crisis"? Isn't around half of the population middle class?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

bellac11 · 23/07/2022 12:36

I think I saw it best on another thread like this which explains it well.

Everyone will experience the price increases but not everyone will struggle with them.

Please
or

SweetSakura · 23/07/2022 12:36

Its the knock on effect though isn't it. As the middle classes feel the squeeze they'll start to review some of their discretionary spending... which affects the restaurants, hairdressers, clothes shops, etc etc

Please
or

buzzheath · 23/07/2022 12:36

@TheKeatingFive Yeah, exactly, lol. By middle class, I essentially meant "people on good incomes".

OP's posts:
Please
or

RandomMess · 23/07/2022 12:37

Something to think about OP is what if your partner has an accident or health crises and then can't earn the same anymore and your income drops and you rely on UC? Seriously many of us are only one incident away from experience utter poverty now that social support is too low versus the basic cost of living.

Sure we are comfortable but well aware or disposable income is going to take a noticeable hit. Don't think I'll be able to retire at 60 anymore like I hoped either Sad

Please
or

Hoppinggreen · 23/07/2022 12:37

However many people are actually struggling to pay for the basics then it’s too many

Please
or

RudsyFarmer · 23/07/2022 12:38

I think we need to get cold before we start seeing things as a crisis. In my circles though people seem very calm and still spending money like they grow it.

Please
or

Stuffin · 23/07/2022 12:38

We can weather the storm because of where we are in life but if it has been about 20 years ago then the price rises would have crippled me.

I think if you don't have any surplus money then this will be hitting you hard but for those of us that do then it means just cutting back on things that don't matter much.

I appreciate I am lucky right now but for others it will be difficult. What is worrying for some is that it can often spiral in that people don't have money to spend which means jobs go which then affects other job areas and so on. Just because you might feel safe now doesn't mean that you won't be affected in 12 months time.

Please
or

RadicalFern · 23/07/2022 12:38

Four years ago I had a full-time minimum wage job. After tax, rent, food, and public transport to and from the job (and to church on Sundays) I had a whole £5 a week to spend on frivolities. I don’t know what I would have done if any of my necessary outgoings had increased.

It’s not just people who aren’t ”willing to work” who find themselves in financial difficulty.

Please
or

Ignoranceisbliss44 · 23/07/2022 12:38

Sadly the reality is that lots of people are struggling.
I've seen it firsthand and it's heartbreaking.
There will be lots of people who are managing fine, but equally many families who are not.
I'm an unpaid carer to my severely disabled child and feeling the strain myself, but I feel for those who are in a worse position than I am and have to rely on foodbanks. My heart goes out to them.

Please
or

OooErr · 23/07/2022 12:39

Afterfire · 23/07/2022 12:21

I don’t like the tone of threads like these.

If even one family out there is having to resort to food banks or having to choose between heating or eating then it’s too many.

It doesn’t matter if there are a lot of people out there who aren’t struggling. Many, many are.

Well there's ALWAYS been people in that scenario. Especially under successive Tory govs. Nothing new.
However this 'crisis' has been bandied about as one affecting even the supposedly comfortable and if they stop eating out, using hairdressers, cleaners, etc all those people will lose their income plunging people further into poverty.

Please
or

OooErr · 23/07/2022 12:41

RudsyFarmer · 23/07/2022 12:38

I think we need to get cold before we start seeing things as a crisis. In my circles though people seem very calm and still spending money like they grow it.

Exactly!
There was another thread about holidays and whilst I get the point about being judgmental blah I really don't understand.
Is it just the media scaremongering?
Or do people just not care anymore?
Or alternatively don't even know.

Please
or

GreenLunchBox · 23/07/2022 12:42

ThroughThickAndThin01 · 23/07/2022 12:23

I don’t think it’s really hit yet. The problem will be when the recession comes and if people lose jobs and/or income. Then along with interest rate rises and mortgages and rents increased, energy costs going through the roof, and the cost of living crisis, well that’s when things will start unravelling more.

I think 6 months to a year is when it will start to hit people.

This
The shit will hit the fan in 6-12 months and everyone apart from the truly wealthy will be affected

Please
or

TabithaTittlemouse · 23/07/2022 12:43

People in our circle of friends aren’t suffering yet but people that I work with are. I am lucky as are you but many aren’t.
Look outside of your circle.

Please
or

LoisPlane · 23/07/2022 12:43

I agree op.

We have a pretty average income. Not loaded but not struggling. 3 dc.

I roll my my eyes daily at several things - the price of diesal, the electric bill, the fact that Farm Foods have put their bulk buy decent toilet roll up to £17 from £12, our rent increasing by £50, that a standard foodshop now costs more, that my local cafe have raised their prices, that dc3's holiday club is now £35 instead of £29.

I silently utter a 'FFS' to myself and I'm irritated. We're definitely more cautious about spending in general at the moment. Money seems to trickle away at a far faster rate than 6 months ago!

But it's not a 'crisis' for us and most people I know are in the same kind of boat. Having to tighten belts and grumbling but a long way from a heating or eating choice. Normal working class people with normal, average jobs.

I know that many are in a far worse position than this and for some already scraping by the price increases will be a true crisis - but it's far from the majority ime.

Please
or

GreenLunchBox · 23/07/2022 12:43

MurderAtTheBeautyPageant · 23/07/2022 12:31

It's only getting started. Check in with people again in a year.

Yes, let's come back to this thread in a year and see how it has aged

Please
or

ladygindiva · 23/07/2022 12:44

It certainly is a cost of living crisis for many. We are fortunate that at the end of last year dp got a new job with a 50k salary, he was on 28 before. So we are fine but I know we are really lucky and would be struggling on his previous salary as our electric and food bills have rocketed. A friend of mine , single parent of young child whose low income is topped up by UC has seen her electric more than double and is having to get rid of her car and cancel her kids swim lessons to make ends meet, and is still going to struggle. It is a crisis for some. She receives no maintenance from loser ex. I strongly believe people in her situation should be helped more.

Please
or

Tootsey11 · 23/07/2022 12:45

Modern England Op? Does Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland not count then?

Please
or

riesenrad · 23/07/2022 12:45

I had a panicked call from my mum this week because her electricity company had told her she was £1000 in arrears. In the summer.

It turned out that she had read the bill wrong, and it was £200 in arrears. However, that doesn't get away from the fact that her monthly DD is increasing from £140 to £270 a month, and that's before the increase in October. She will get a winter fuel payment but she did say to me that although she'd always been really good at coping financially, she was wondering how she was going to manage (she really feels the cold so would absolutely choose heat over food if it came to it).

Her energy supplier said that if she paid £x now, her DD would stay the same, so I paid it for her. Most people don't have a fairy goddaughter though.

Please
or

SleepDreamThinkHuge · 23/07/2022 12:46

It will impact people one way or another. Even people in work at the moment are just about manging. Some people after bills have very little left over. Now rises in bills such as: council tax, energy bill, food prices etc will cause more people to resort to food banks, more borrowing on credit cards etc.. A lot more people will default in their bills. But the worse off probably would be those on benefits, pensioners etc...

Please
or

ihavenocats · 23/07/2022 12:46

It's the media who are being inflammatory. We are on a household income of under 50K and we're not in crisis. We are in debt though, which we are paying off but we're actually improving our situation each month. But we live in a very cheap part of the country and our diet is also pretty cheap. I think food is playing a huge part in all this, it has gone up a lot, but if you know how to make cheap meals you're already ahead of the curve.

Please
or

Happylittlethoughts · 23/07/2022 12:46

I don't live in an affluent area and it's not noticeable yet. I think the impact is relatively hidden just within families just now . However I am certain like a ripple effect well see an impact in the longer term on shops and restaurants. I thinkits obvious this will hit slowly, creeping from the bottom up through towards more middle incomes. There is certainly a point where it won't affect certain incomes.
I work in education and expect to see some heart breaking effects on families.

Please
or

gogohmm · 23/07/2022 12:47

You are correct to a point, many if not most people are not living hand to mouth so we won't be struggling in the way some unfortunately will, however we will cut back on luxuries if our disposal income shrinks much more - by luxuries I mean things like drinks in the pub and meals out not caviar, and that affects other people directly in the form of employment. We have already stopped sending out our ironing, yes a luxury but that's £50 a month not going into her bank account.

Please
or

Hobbitlover · 23/07/2022 12:48

We are doing OK, but like most we will need to rein in unnecessary spends.

Please
or

Rosebel · 23/07/2022 12:48

People are already suffering, it doesn't really matter how many. My parents are retired and have no mortgage left but they are absolutely terrified about how they are going to cope.
DH and I are are not high earners and we're struggling just with food prices. Have no idea how we'll cope in the winter.
I dread to think how families on benefits are going to cope.

Please
or

Oblomov22 · 23/07/2022 12:49

You won't see the true effect on mn, because it's quite mc with relative high earners. There are some families struggling on mn, but not the majority.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

We're all short on time

Log in or sign up to use the 'See Next' or 'See all' posts by the OP (Original Poster) and cut straight to the action.

Already signed up?

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?