Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

To ask neighbour to change his routine?

SPUNfan · 25/05/2022 06:59

We are an end terrace, at the front are gardens and then the road, to the side is a dirt road going down the side of our house providing access to parking at the back. We're semi rural and so have no neighbours except for the terrace we're attached to.

Our neighbours are a retired couple in their 60s. They're friendly enough but beyond saying good morning we usually keep ourselves to ourselves. They have two small dogs, we have three.

Every single morning at 5.30am without fail my neighbour walks his dogs past the front of our house and up the road. Every time the dogs bark from the time they leave his house until they're past our house. Without fail this wakes either me, or one of my children (3 under 5) and therefore me.

I can't wear earplugs as the children still wake in the night but I'm at my wits end - my youngest still wakes several times in the night, the other two do occasionally and so being up for the day at 530 is killing me! I'm absolutely knackered.

Wibu to speak to the neighbour to ask him to change his routine so he doesn't walk his barking dogs past my house every morning at 530?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

LetTheBirdsSing · 25/05/2022 07:01

How inconsiderate of them! I’d definitely speak to the neighbours and explain that the dogs are waking your whole family up. They either need to train the dogs not to bark or walk them later. What kind of person would think this was ok in the first place though…

Please
or

Bonjovispjs · 25/05/2022 07:03

You can try, but I wouldn't be surprised if they ignore it!

Please
or

mycatisannoying · 25/05/2022 07:03

Oh, definitely not unreasonable to point that out. Really feel for you!

Please
or

SpindleInTheWind · 25/05/2022 07:09

We had a chap who was doing this in our road at around 6am. There was then a massive stand up row in the road one morning about the barking with, funnily enough, another (responsible) dog walker, and he doesn’t do it any more.

Or if he does he’s doing it later in the day when no-one really notices as much.

Please
or

Aprilx · 25/05/2022 07:11

Why would the dogs be barking the whole time? It doesn’t make sense to me, dogs normally bark for a reason and being walked isn’t one of the usual reasons. Very weird.

Anyway, I don’t think you should phrase it as changing their routine, but it is fine to mention barking dogs to a neighbour.

Please
or

jeaux90 · 25/05/2022 07:11

Id say "your dogs wake everyone up with their barking at 5.30 every morning when you walk them"

Then shut up and see what he says.
If he just says sorry or similar ask him what he's going to do to address that.

Don't ask him a question he can simply say no to.

Please
or

bloodyunicorns · 25/05/2022 07:11

What a selfish bellend!!! Yanbu at all. And what badly trained dogs. No reasonable person would think this was at all acceptable. Do have a word with him.

Please
or

Stompythedinosaur · 25/05/2022 07:13

They are being hugely inconsiderate. Of course you should mention it!

Please
or

DangerouslyBored · 25/05/2022 07:15

The voting on here is totally screwed. Of course YANBU. Your neighbour is so selfish! My dogs don’t go into the main garden before 8am, we let them out of the side for a pee (more easily contained) before this as they sometimes bark at birds and we aren’t selfish dicks [shrug]

Please
or

HSKAT · 25/05/2022 07:16

Deffo say something but I would rephrase it

Please
or

Sootir3d · 25/05/2022 07:18

Me and my kids are prone to allergies so we all sleep with air purifiers running in our bedrooms. They have the added bonus of blocking out any noise from outside. Could you do something like this? I used to be a terrible sleeper until I got one.

Please
or

Angrymum22 · 25/05/2022 07:18

We have a similar problem, however since the arrival of their baby at Christmas they seem to have got a handle on the four yapping dachshunds. Maybe they realise just how bloody annoying their dogs are.
I would be tempted to get up at 4.30 for a week and let my dogs bark in front of their bedroom window.

Please
or

Bahhhhhumbug · 25/05/2022 07:20

YABU to ask him or anyone to change their routine.
YANBU to tell him his barking dogs wake you all up every morning.

Please
or

Bahhhhhumbug · 25/05/2022 07:20

YABU to ask him or anyone to change their routine.
YANBU to tell him his barking dogs wake you all up every morning.

Please
or

echt · 25/05/2022 07:23

Phrase it as: we're woken up every day at 5.30. by your dogs barking.
Don't mention the walking or it'll be derailed into the fact they need a walk.

I'm a dog owner myself, and like Aprllx says, the barking is odd. Dogs don't bark for nothing, and I've never seen a dog just barking as it's going for a walk.

Please
or

PatsyJStone · 25/05/2022 07:24

We have the same problem with someone who walks their dog around 10.30pm. Their dog barks and then wakes our dog who barks.

Doesn't matter why they do it, if it makes sense, we're talking about animals. It's the owners who need to consider if this is unsociable.

We don't know exactly who it is and haven't approached them, but I think I'd be much more aggravated by the 530am wakings. I'd definitely say something.

Please
or

GreenWillowAndCatkins · 25/05/2022 07:27

echt · 25/05/2022 07:23

Phrase it as: we're woken up every day at 5.30. by your dogs barking.
Don't mention the walking or it'll be derailed into the fact they need a walk.

I'm a dog owner myself, and like Aprllx says, the barking is odd. Dogs don't bark for nothing, and I've never seen a dog just barking as it's going for a walk.

Really? Our terrier loves to announce to the world that he is coming out for a walk, get ready, it's really exciting etc. It's definitely a different bark from a) there's a pigeon in the tree, I want it and b) answering other dogs.

But he does also respond to the selfish git who lets their collie bark on the field behind us as 5.45 every morning during the week and one day I'm going out there in my pyjamas to remonstrate.

Please
or

TeeBee · 25/05/2022 07:27

My dog barks every single time he starts his walk. It's excitement with him. Barks the whole way up my garden and half way up the street. Bloody annoying. I'd definitely have to say something OP.

Please
or

Mindymomo · 25/05/2022 07:27

Are his dogs barking because they can see/smell your dogs. If this is the case then, unless they can walk in another direction, I don’t know what else you can do. You could ask if he could consider taking them out a bit later, but I know 2 people whose dogs will not toilet in their garden, so they have to walk them early.

Please
or

balalake · 25/05/2022 07:29

Time is OK, barking dogs not.

Please
or

Reluctantadult · 25/05/2022 07:30

Definitely say something.
Also try getting a white noise machine. You can get small plug in ones that play a few different sounds. Both my children sleep with one.

Please
or

AnnaSW1 · 25/05/2022 07:30

I'd put a white noise machine in your children's' room.

Please
or

KangarooKenny · 25/05/2022 07:30

Some dogs bark when they are excited. They are obviously excited to go on their walk.

Please
or

44PumpLane · 25/05/2022 07:31

Anti bark collars (the type that emit a high pitched noise or slight vibrate) can be quite effective.Thought I'd mention in case of a "what am I supposed to do about it" response.

YANBU......I'd be ready to throttle your neighbour!!

Please
or

The3Ls · 25/05/2022 07:31

My dog barks for nothing as we set off on a walk for the first few mins it's anxiety. She is rescue and lovey if a little odd. We ve had a psychologist yes seriously and loads of training but can't stop her. So we never walk very early or very late. If a neighbour was on night shifts or a baby napping and we were disturbing them I'd be totally fine with them saying and altering our routine (or quickly chucking her in the car and driving her to a walk where she can bark it out and not disturb anyone which is our other startegy) we are used to her bark like you get used to your kid noise. He may not realise how annoying it is.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.