Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

WIBU to buy myself an engagement ring a year after the wedding?

LovelySparklyThings · 05/05/2022 11:09

DH and I got married last year after 10 years together. It is my 2nd marriage, his first. We wear matching plain platinum bands only, because at the time I genuinely wasn't bothered about an 'engagement' ring. It seemed a bit daft, old-fashioned and a waste of money.

However, recently I've been looking at my plain band and, much as I love it, I am increasingly feeling as if I would like something a bit, well...prettier to wear with it. I go to a lot of antiques fairs etc and have found myself gravitating towards the sparkly things!

I don't wear jewellery really, no other rings, plain stud earrings etc only. I don't know where this desire for a bit of bling has sprung from!

Would it be weird to buy myself a pretty ring to wear alongside my wedding band, given that everyone would assume it is an 'engagement' ring?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

Hoolahulahoop · 05/05/2022 11:12

Go for it! I have a solitare and I like it. But I treated myself to a very bling engagement ring. I just tell people I got it for my tenth anniversary (no one need know) ..if it bothered you say it came from a treasured aunt. But go for it. Bling is always a good idea😍

Please
or

Hoolahulahoop · 05/05/2022 11:12

Eternity I meant

Please
or

anniepanniepears123 · 05/05/2022 11:13

Nope your money to buy what you want

Please
or

Dixiechickonhols · 05/05/2022 11:18

I wear my grandma’s as an engagement ring now. I didn’t have one as I wasn’t bothered at time. I’d just tell him what you’ve put in your post and then get one you like.

Please
or

PinkArt · 05/05/2022 11:24

Definitely buy yourself a fabulous ring. If it's good enough for Destiny's Child, it's good enough for all of us! But I'd wear it on a different finger - it feels odd to wear it like an engagement ring when it isn't.

Please
or

CounsellorTroi · 05/05/2022 11:26

Go for it. If you like antique/vintage jewellery (I love it) you could get something really lovely relatively cheaply.

Please
or

LovelySparklyThings · 05/05/2022 11:29

CounsellorTroi · 05/05/2022 11:26

Go for it. If you like antique/vintage jewellery (I love it) you could get something really lovely relatively cheaply.

I do, I'm thinking of something art deco-y...

OP's posts:
Please
or

CrotchetyQuaver · 05/05/2022 11:31

Whatever you want if you're paying! I've been married 27 years, hardly ever wear my engagement ring these days but I treated myself with some inheritance money to a very pretty sparkly ring (antique /secondhand) which I wear as an engagement ring if I go out.

Please
or

PleasantBirthday · 05/05/2022 11:37

Why not buy yourself a ring, if you want to? Get the one you want, wear it every day, enjoy it.

Please
or

dontknowhow2help · 05/05/2022 12:45

My DH didn't want a wedding ring at first as he's not into jewellery, but a year in changed his mind and now wears his with pride! I'd say go for it.

Please
or

Lottapianos · 05/05/2022 12:50

'It seemed a bit daft, old-fashioned and a waste of money'

You were spot on first time!

Sure, buy yourself a ring, why not. If people do assume it's an engagement ring, they will give it only a second's thought and then move on

Please
or

WimpoleHat · 05/05/2022 12:51

Why not? You can always wear it on your right hand if you don’t want it to look like an engagement ring. Not that it matters! I also know people who don’t wear their engagement rings every day and just wear them for best. Do what suits you and enjoy!

Please
or

WindyGlowers · 05/05/2022 13:14

Go for it. My engagement ring doesn't fit me anymore so I'm thinking of doing the same thing.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.