Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

AIBU to ask again for neighbours to move their trampoline

152 replies

Jynxed · 24/04/2022 12:38

My well being and happiness are being severely impacted by my neighbours noisy children. They scream, argue, shout and kick footballs at the fence all day long. They only have one volume and it’s loud. The whole family just shout at each other. Last year they got an enormous trampoline and positioned it right up against (their) fence bordering our garden. We are a terrace row, but each house is staggered, so our back doors are not aligned. Our back door and patio area is about a third of the way up their lawn. We were aghast when the neighbours chose to position their trampoline right in line with our back door and patio table, where I also have lots of pots and plants. When the kids use the trampoline they stand higher than the fence and stare straight into our kitchen window, and they used to call out to us all the time until we asked them to stop. The noise and shouting makes the patio unusable, and as I write this yet another ball has come flying over. I darent go and look as I heard something smash. We can no longer eat or read at the table because of the noise and the risk of a ball hitting you on the head. We did ask them not to put the trampoline there, and brought them round to show them how much it over shadowed our patio and removed all privacy. They declined to reposition it saying that there was nowhere else in their 80ft garden they could put it. Given that there is nothing in their garden apart from lawn and garden toys this is blatantly untrue, so I have no idea why it cannot move a few feet away from our patio door. What do I do now? Ask again? Beg and cry? Puncture every ball that comes over and wrecks a plant? Write a letter? Build a cage over our table to protect ourselves? How can I make them understand what they are doing to us? For context, I do have kids myself, all teenagers now, so I do understand that children need to play. However mine were brought up not to scream and shout, and I would not have dreamt of refusing a reasonable request from neighbours such as this.

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

1197 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
15%
You are NOT being unreasonable
85%
Ticksallboxes · 24/04/2022 13:28

This is the third thread I've read this week about neighbours with absolutely zero regard for anyone beyond their immediate family. It's so shocking and depressing.

I really feel for you OP but can't offer any advice really (very different living arrangements). Will be following your post with interest.

It may make you feel better to know that, where I and many of my friends live, in various towns etc, we have neighbours from many different backgrounds and everyone is lovely to each other on the whole.

I really hope you can resolve this Flowers

LocalHobo · 24/04/2022 13:30

Get your teens to spend a nice afternoon in your garden, playing loud hate metal and inviting a few friends who smoke weed. When neighbour complains, shrug and say there is no where else to sit.
Never return an intact ball.

MeridasMum · 24/04/2022 13:31

justfiveminutes · 24/04/2022 12:40

My friend had a similar experience. One night it inexplicably burnt down.

So, arson is the answer? For goodness sake

Jynxed · 24/04/2022 13:32

We have built a pergola on our side and I am growing a very thorny rose climbing over it! I can’t extend the fence as it belongs to them, but I have hung some netting over the trellis at the top to try and give a bit of privacy. It doesn’t stop balls because it can’t be fixed, only draped. Thanks for the suggestions of smoky BBQ, mosquito repellent and classical music, all of which I will try, but I doubt will be heard over the screaming (and they already have a bbq, although mine will be smokier.). They are big party people so we already have to put up with the hot tub, the music and the drunken shouting. However, at least those are not not centimetres of our back door!
p.s the latest ball has been retrieved and added to the others behind the water butt - I don’t want to return it to be used against me again. Pot knocked over but not broken although the tulip was decapitated of course.

OP posts:
gunnersgold · 24/04/2022 13:34

You can attach those trellis hedge to stakes though or to your pergola

gunnersgold · 24/04/2022 13:37

These things !

AIBU to ask again for neighbours to move their trampoline
Flatandhappy · 24/04/2022 13:50

Water the plants along the adjoining wall every time they go on the trampoline, if there aren’t any plant some new ones that need extra watering, whoops sorry the hose got you wet 😁

Theunamedcat · 24/04/2022 13:55

Late at night throw bird seed on it

Efortyjive · 24/04/2022 13:57

Sounds like hell, yes children make noise but there's a difference between that and excessive noise and not being receptive to moving the trampoline. As you say, you can't move your house and patio so makes far more sense for them to move their trampoline, but they sound selfish so they won't. Not sure what you can really do unfortunately though :(

Efortyjive · 24/04/2022 13:58

😂

70isaLimitNotaTarget · 24/04/2022 14:02

Ha! I was just going to suggest this too GrinHurl a handfull of birdseed ( the sort that attracts a good variety of birds ) .
If you can do very early morning (you don't want rats to get tucked in)
Some greedy starlings and a few pigeons will cover the trampoline in pooh which will hopefully put them off .

Act of God, innit you shrug .
(And no burning involved)

Maydaysoonenough · 24/04/2022 14:03

Motion sensor watering along the fence line.

Aberration · 24/04/2022 14:04

i was sympathetic till I read you also have an 80ft garden but can’t possibly sit in a different part of it. 🙄

move your seating and stop being such a martyr.

MeridianB · 24/04/2022 14:06

WTF is wrong with people? They sounds like morons.

I see so many threads on here where people are encouraged to back down from ridiculous situations to maintain a good relationship with bad neighbours.

Totally agree with the mosquito, classical music etc and also adding your own 2m fence along the boundary and some high plants.

Do these twits own or rent?

MeridianB · 24/04/2022 14:07

i was sympathetic till I read you also have an 80ft garden but can’t possibly sit in a different part of it. 🙄

Aha! Your neighbour has found this thread, OP! 😁

Jynxed · 24/04/2022 14:09

I want to stress that I am not anti-children and fully accept that families want to use their gardens and this creates noise. The other side have kids of a similar age and I enjoy hearing them play as they do not fight and scream and are generally delightful. My own kids used to have a climbing frame and later a trampoline but we positioned it at the end of the garden in what is now my veg area, because it was away from the neighbours houses and minimised noise. I also taught them from Toddler age that screaming and shouting is not acceptable excepting emergencies. Now I have teenagers I still try to be considerate - when my eldest had an 18th birthday party we personally visited all the houses within sound-reaching distance and told them we were having a party and left our phone number in case of disturbance. We also promised it would end by midnight and kept that promise. I think what I find most upsetting is that the neighbours were told how difficult this is for us but just don’t care! Hence trying to work out our next move.

OP posts:
Snoopsnoggysnog · 24/04/2022 14:13

Why should she have to inconvenience herself and rearrange her garden just because her neighbours are selfish? People need to learn how to behave and teach their DC the same.
Are you the neighbour?

Jynxed · 24/04/2022 14:15

I can’t move my back door and patio however, and one third of that 80ft is the area to the side and back of the house. I do sit at the end of my garden on the edge of the veg patch, but to move our outdoor sitting and eating area up there would require the removal of the veg and greenhouse. Given that the neighbours could literally lift and move the trampoline 10ft along within 2 minutes this seems an unreasonable request.

OP posts:
Aberration · 24/04/2022 14:15

definitely not. My garden is about 2x2 metres. Also on a hill and overlooked at back and one side. Much as I would love for the world to have a mute button I understood when I bought a house I’d hear children playing sometimes.

I just don’t see why the ops wish for trampoline to move trumps their wish for ops chair to move.

FrankGrillosFloof · 24/04/2022 14:19

I’d be over the fence in the dead of night with some heavy duty bolt cutters.

Singlebutmarried · 24/04/2022 14:20

So OP needs to move her patio because the neighbours can’t move their trampoline.

OK then

Alliswells · 24/04/2022 14:21

You want the neighbors to move their trampoline. They don't want to. You've nowhere to go with that.

You can however rearrange your 80 foot garden so your seating area is not as close. I understand you don't want to do this but it's either that or move house.

HelloDaisy · 24/04/2022 14:23

SmudgeButt · 24/04/2022 12:57

Start gardening and sunbathing in the nude or doing more rude things out there. If they want something to look at you might as well give them a show.

Just what I was thinking!

Aberration · 24/04/2022 14:24

basically Op your neighbours aren’t going to move the trampoline. Maybe because the trampoline can only go there as they claim (flat ground issue maybe?) or because they can’t be arsed. It doesn’t really matter if that makes them an arsehole. The council won’t do anything about noise complaints for kids in a garden. so your options are:

sit somewhere else - which isn’t even an issue apart from the 5 times a year it’s warm enough in U.K. you want to eat outside so need a table

sulk and stay indoors till they grow out of it.

personally I’d rather enjoy my garden than seethe.

Alliswells · 24/04/2022 14:24

Just to clarify I do think the neighbors are being unreasonable. However there's nothing you can do about that. They're not going to move the trampoline so that leaves you to decide how you can manage it and what YOU can do to make it bearable

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.