Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Aibu to Think that it Will be easy enough to go on a ski holiday with a 5, 7 and 8 year Old, without putting the kids in ski School?

danishkids · 27/01/2022 23:49

We Will go on our first ski holiday ever on Saturday and I’m really looking forward to it. But the more I chat with friends/family, the more people are making me nervous. We are 2 adults, my husband and I. I have only ever been on skis for a few hours when I was 16. My husband has skied a few times.

Everyone I talk to tells me that I’m
Crazy and that it’s impossible to teach 3 kids at once. That it will only end up
With irritated children and parents. Am
I crazy to think that it will be fine? Or am
I just having wishful thinking?

Do you have any tips for first time
Skiers? Especially with kids? Any good techniques to help the kids learn fast?

I’m exited about this holiday, but maybe I shouldn’t be?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Rainbowshit · 27/01/2022 23:51

You would be utterly crazy to not put the kids in ski school.

My kids have skiied since they were 3 years old and I strongly strongly recommend you book them and you both into ski school.

Please
or

Rainbowshit · 27/01/2022 23:52

Honestly you will all enjoy the holiday so much more.

Please
or

MiniatureHotdog · 27/01/2022 23:52

Ha ha, you're joking obviously Grin

Please
or

Merryoldgoat · 27/01/2022 23:54

I’m no skier. But it sounds pretty mad to try to teach three small children to ski when neither of you can ski yourselves.

Please
or

SkiFan · 27/01/2022 23:54

We are 2 adults, my husband and I. I have only ever been on skis for a few hours when I was 16. My husband has skied a few times.

Everyone I talk to tells me that I’m
Crazy and that it’s impossible to teach 3 kids at once.

It sounds like both you and your husband are quite inexperienced, so how do you propose to teach your kids to ski?

Put them in ski school and get some lessons yourselves, you will enjoy it far more!

Please
or

JustWonderingIfYou · 27/01/2022 23:58

You can't ski how do you plan to teach children how to ski?

Its pretty dangerous. They need at least the basics from a professional. Also piste etiquette in order not to be a danger to others.

I'd be intrigued to watch you get the children on a button or even a chairlift for the first time.

A week in ski school at those ages will have them skiing better than both you and your husband. They will make friends and cover way more ground whizzing over everything.

Please
or

Ace56 · 27/01/2022 23:58

I just went skiing for the first time one day last week, so would say I’ve also done it ‘for a few hours’. I’d no way be able to teach someone else how to ski at this stage.

Why would you want to make life harder for yourselves?!

Please
or

Luredbyapomegranate · 27/01/2022 23:59

Book them into ski school.

And book yourselves some lessons.

Else it will not be fun. Really. (also how the f do you plan to reach kids to ski when you can barely ski yourselves?)

Please
or

Haus1234 · 27/01/2022 23:59

So you can’t ski? How do you propose to teach your kids??

Please
or

Stompythedinosaur · 28/01/2022 00:00

If you aren't a skier you won't be able to teach three kids!

Please
or

RosesAndHellebores · 28/01/2022 00:00

GrinShockHmm for once I have no words.

Please
or

Haus1234 · 28/01/2022 00:02

Just to be a tiny bit more helpful, I have skied for about 5 weeks total (similar to your husband), and I might be able to start one adult off skiing at a very basic level. I could not teach a child and certainly not 3 children!!

Please
or

fallfallfall · 28/01/2022 00:03

neither you or your husband are experienced skiers and expect to teach someone the fundamentals? darwin theory in action.
you don't mention the children's ages but it doesn't matter, to put it kindly you need to be listening to you're family and friends.
techniques do vary by age and location; here in canada the little ones do not use poles for quite some time, little ones also fuss to much with goggles i see the rare instructor and parent using harnesses for toddlers.

Please
or

danishkids · 28/01/2022 00:03

This time round money is too tight to put them in ski school. So we thought we could take it slowly, learning together. I have watched some YouTube videos to try and learn the basics (I know it will be different in real life but it’s a start)

Sounds like I am being unreasonable Blush

Has anyone taught yourself and kids on your own?

OP's posts:
Please
or

jimmyhill · 28/01/2022 00:04

Clearly a reverse

Please
or

Tangled123 · 28/01/2022 00:07

I did ski lessons for one day only (Decided to go on a whim while in the area). Even that one day was exhausting and the snow was very different in the afternoon after the sun had been out for hours. Getting on and off the lift was much harder than it looks too.
There’s no way I would try to teach kids with that little experience. Do the lessons.

Please
or

Merryoldgoat · 28/01/2022 00:09

Is this a joke?

You’re short on cash so SKIING is the holiday you’ve decided on? When none of you can ski?

I honestly don’t know what the fuck goes on here sometimes.

Please
or

lap90 · 28/01/2022 00:09

Do report back on how the trip goes OP.

Please
or

Pantsomime · 28/01/2022 00:12

Can’t afford ski school huh? You are mad - skiing is really tricky and technical and you can kill yourself or others if you don’t at least know and can do the basics. It’s dangerous even if you know what you are doing. Why spend a lot of money going to do something you can’t do- makes zero sense. Bottom line if you can’t afford lessons don’t go

Please
or

Shunter350 · 28/01/2022 00:13

MN is brilliant! The angst of the middle classes..Grin

Please
or

SelkieQualia · 28/01/2022 00:14

If you can't afford ski school, you can't afford the ski trip. At your level, you should still be in lessons. Skiing is a dangerous sport, and to do what you are planning will put you, your children, and the people around you at risk.

Please
or

danishkids · 28/01/2022 00:14

It is not a reverse. I genuinely didn’t realize that most people used the ski schools.

As for finances we booked the holiday before we bought a house (not knowing we would buy a house, our circumstances changed and we needed to move out of a rental) so we didn’t plan on having less money for the holiday.

No mattter what, we will
Go now it’s booked and paid for. So does anyone have some helpful tips for us, apart from putting the kids in ski school Smile

OP's posts:
Please
or

danishkids · 28/01/2022 00:16

Of course we will stick to the easiest slopes, to keep the kids and others around us safe. Hmm

OP's posts:
Please
or

RosesAndHellebores · 28/01/2022 00:17

Best health insurance money can buy for the broken limbs and air ambulance home.

Please
or

Username7521 · 28/01/2022 00:17

DH grew up skiing and their was talk he could have skied for France (he is an incredible good skier). Our kids get ski lessons.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.