Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

to ask for your best ever 'I told you so moment?

AllyBee990 · 17/01/2022 21:17

I feel like we can't talk about these moments in real life without sounding smug but would love to know stories...

Mine is when a git at work left his lovely, also at work wife for a total bully, also same office. After a few months of flowers delivered to the office and rubbing it under lovely ex wife's nose, new lady chucked him hehe... I didn't say I told you so but I could tell eveeeeeryone else ( rest of the office is lovely and scandal free ) and defo his wife was thinking it.

What's yours?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Sh05 · 17/01/2022 21:24

Dh dropped car off at garage to get some serious work done which they said would take a couple of weeks. Part of it was going to be covered by a warranty so mechanic said we would pay the total minus around £750.
A month went by and dh refused to listen to me and get a follow up report from said mechanic insisting that it would only cost us a couple of hundred pounds and the guy was an expert and knew what he was doing.
At 9 weeks the mechanic got in touch by email with a bill attached of nearly £3000!
I'd warned dh of this happening but he would not even entertain the idea.
God that 3k leaving the bank hurt so much and I so wanted to rant at dh but held it in.

Please
or

LowlyTheWorm · 17/01/2022 21:27

Ummm it took a while, but my exH separating from his new wife… does that count?

Please
or

MaybeHeIsMyCat · 17/01/2022 21:30

Out riding, so obviously I have a higher view point than cars
Put my hand up for the car behind me to stop, he stuck his middle finger up and sped past. It was a blind bend and I had seen the tractor over the hedge. He had to slam on and reverse back all the way past me to a passing point
I tried not to laugh much

So if you're driving and a rider asks you to stop it might be they can see something you can't!

Please
or

DrierThanANunsNasty · 17/01/2022 21:30

Mine was a medical thing that I’d told the doctors for ages I had. They were all eye rolls and doubtful.

Finally they relented and conducted the test I needed. I was right and luckily still caught it early enough for it to be fixed. If they hadn’t relented I likely would be dead (not dramatic, just the very likely consequences).

Please
or

PatriotCanes · 17/01/2022 21:32

There was a moment in a meeting with some stakeholders where my boss attempted to sum up what I'd just said, more an attempt at being supportive rather than mansplaining, but he hadn't quite realised why I had been some particular in my use of language until he ended up offering them all a hand job Grin I'd spent ages coming up with phrases that covered a task that wasn't able to be automated and he just cut to the chase and actually said the words "hand job" in a meeting.

Please
or

Santahasjoinedww · 17/01/2022 21:35

When I left exh he refused to let me take any baby photos of the dc. He stashed them in his car.
Car went into the garage.
Burnt out in a fire..
So he has no photos either.. And I have the dc as they dumped him as soon as they could.

Please
or

BordelDeMerde · 17/01/2022 21:36

Dp made a veranda for our house. As he was building it, I mentioned that I thought the slope of the roof wasn't enough to ensure rain water ran off. "No, no, it's fine." I mentioned it a few more times, more insistently, only to be told each time that he knew what he was doing.
That fucking leaky veranda enrages me each and every time we get heavy rain. I refrain from pointing it out though, because I am an actual saint. AngryAngryAngry

Please
or

Frlrlrubert · 17/01/2022 21:43

The many times FIL has said something will/won't fit in a space to contradict me.

He's lovely but it's been 11 years, he should know by now I'm the master of measuring by eye.

Please
or

thecatsthecats · 17/01/2022 21:44

The first bank holiday this year.

Being the only driver, I dragged my sorry carcass into the car to drive us 90min each way to ANOTHER family lunch instead of chilling out on the last day of the holiday. In the interest of us getting there vaguely on time, I packed the presents in the back seat of the car in a larger bag. We set off.

My husband asks if the presents are safe. I reply of course they are. He turns round to examine them. Says am I SURE they are safe - it looks like I pushed an extra gift into the bag and it couldn't possibly fit.

No, I didn't. It's in a separate bag. Yes, they are fine.

He twists around again. How DARE I gaslight him. He can SEE that the present is crammed into the smaller bag. But I HAVE to be right, don't I...

He stops because I lose my shit and offer to turn around the car if I'm that fucking incompetent I'm clearly unsafe to drive. He shuts up for the rest of the drive.

80m of silence later, he looks in the bag. The smaller bag as he packed it, the larger extra present put in neatly beside it.

Cue apologies and an admission that he's grumpy about dragging himself around, and an agreement that we aren't spending next year dragging ourselves around to umpteen family gatherings.

Please
or

Newmum738 · 17/01/2022 21:47

When the hospital tried to send me home saying the baby wouldn’t come for at least another 7 hours and I nearly had it down the toilet half an hour later. I did actually say ‘I told you I couldn’t go home’. Imagine if I had!!

Please
or

ImInStealthMode · 17/01/2022 21:55

Oooh; maybe when my EXH finally showed his true abusive colours to the girl he started seeing 3 days after we'd separated or so they insisted.

I had told her. She had not listened. More fool her.

Or maybe when my boss insisted that we have something happen at work right over Christmas, and then me and him both ended up trouble-shooting problems from dawn to dusk on Boxing Day Hmm

Please
or

BigYellowHat · 17/01/2022 21:56

We kept around £600 of booze on a shelf and I pondered to DH about whether there were enough screws to hold up the shelf. He said there was and I said ‘are you sure, there’s only 4 and there’s a lot of bottles?’ You guessed it, about three days later we came down to £600 of booze all over the kitchen floor 😢 We even had to replace the lino as it was so sticky. It took days to clear up and we were finding shards of glass for literally months afterwards. He hasn’t yet lived that down and it was two years ago!

Please
or

DifficultBloodyWoman · 17/01/2022 22:00

My Ex was speeding. I warned him that police often operated in the area. He ignored me and I swear he may have gone just a little bit faster on purpose.

No surprise that we got pulled over shortly afterwards (apparently, they have one car or radar in one zone and collect the speeders 2 kilometres later in a safer area).

Ex was grumpy. You would almost think the police only appeared because I mentioned their name (Beetlejuice?).

They took his details and returned to the police car to check them.at that point, I said something along the lines of ‘At least they haven’t asked you to do a breathalyser test’.

The policeman came back and asked Ex when he last drank and how much, and, after hearing the answers, made him do a breathalyzer test on the side of the road. He was just, just under the limit.

Do police have sound listening devices pointed at the cars they pull over? It crossed my mind at the time. And ex’s. He was a monumental PITA for days afterwards. This attitude was a major part of my leaving.

Please
or

52andblue · 17/01/2022 22:03

Both of mine involve vomit, sorry.
An embryologist who said I'd 'be fine' when I said I felt really queasy. Before I could explain what had happened last time the anaesthetist hadn't given me extra anti emetic I had peojectiled all over the poor guy.
2nd was a sneery Paed who dismissed my concerns about baby ds vomiting as 'new mum anxiety'. Ds in fact had un diagnosed GERD (was jaundiced and thin) and projectiled all down mr smugs nice suit, tie & even shoes.
We got the referral ds needed.

Please
or

comfortablyfrumpy · 17/01/2022 22:07

@Newmum738

When the hospital tried to send me home saying the baby wouldn’t come for at least another 7 hours and I nearly had it down the toilet half an hour later. I did actually say ‘I told you I couldn’t go home’. Imagine if I had!!

That happened to me... except I did go home.... I wish I'd been more insistent!
Please
or

Spaghettio · 17/01/2022 22:41

After 17 years my brother finally split up from his horrible wife. I'd been saying she was awful since they got together but I was told by the entire family that I was being mean and she was lovely.

Now they know I was right!

Please
or

Highfivemum · 17/01/2022 22:47

Telling a doctor at A&E that I had broken my arm when I was 11. He examined it and said it was a little sprain and I would be ok. I said no doctor I have definitely broken it. I heard it when I fell. He looked at my DM as if I was crazy and told her I had watched too many films. The pain was agony and I was trying not to cry but I said again. No please believe me it is broken. My DM told me to stop being silly and took me home on two busses. I couldn’t sleep and in the morning was shouted for school and I got up and was sick everywhere. The pain was so bad. My neighbour took me in car to hospital and I had broken my arm in 2 places and had to have surgery and a plate fitted !!! The Doctor from the day before passed the cubicle and I so wanted tin shout I TOLD you it was broken.

Please
or

Footnote · 17/01/2022 22:49

Matron didn’t believe in my migraines and wouldn’t let me go home from school early any more. She wouldn’t let me lie down, I had to sit across from her at her desk. I threw up all over her and her desk. Never had a problem going home after that.

Please
or

InTheNightWeWillWish · 17/01/2022 23:12

We visited in-laws for Christmas one year and I told DH to pack half his clothes and half mine in each of the suitcases in case one got lost. That was a stupid idea. Well, guess who’s suitcase got lost and they didn’t have any clothes? Grin

We have a large garden and at looking at this house I told DH we couldn’t manage the garden. He said we could. Guess who is now insisting we have to find the money for a gardener because it’s just too much for us? Hmm

Please
or

ecoanxiety · 17/01/2022 23:15

following i love these

Please
or

Supersimkin2 · 17/01/2022 23:22

A man at work tried to hit me. I ducked and complained out loud. Management blamed me for making a fuss.

Six weeks later while man had a few min alone he destroyed the office, costing the same directors £10k to redecorate.

They all tried to stay in touch after I left. Grin

Please
or

TrashyPanda · 17/01/2022 23:45

ExH was notoriously incompetent at anything practical but thought he was too clever to read instruction leaflets or ask for help. He knew best.

He had a bad habit of leaving car headlights on (this was in the 90s) and had drained the battery yet again. This time, he’d actually bought his own jump leads, and went next door to ask if he could use their car.

Only he put them on the wrong way round and blew all the electrics in our car! Had to be winched onto a tow truck and cost quite a lot to repair.

I was just thankful a) it wasn’t the neighbours car and b) I had been inside the whole time, otherwise it would have been my fault.

Please
or

TheBlessedCheesemaker · 18/01/2022 01:21

“whatever you do, (DH), don’t take the normal route because the flooding there is going to be too deep and the car won’t get through it “.
Said I.
Took a couple of weeks to take delivery of my new car.

Please
or

AsYouWishButtercup · 18/01/2022 01:44

I feel a bit mean saying this.

BIL who was 30 at the time, met a woman and declared his love for her after about 2 days. Engaged 2 weeks later, prattling on all over social media about how she’s his angel and saviour, so in love, blah blah. He said to us the day before he proposed that he was asking her to marry him and we said “Um isn’t 2 weeks a bit soon?”. Cue MASSIVE man tantrum, shouts of “I’ll show you all, This is true love, fuck you all”. After 4 weeks she found out she was pregnant - apparently conceived the night they met! Waxed lyrical about “See! see! I told you it was true love” - as much as I wanted to I didn’t point out that failing to use a condom is not a sign two people are meant to be.

We did express our worries that it was all happening so soon, and to not get ahead of themselves, get to know each other properly etc. But he was so defiant that she was his true love and Everything Was Great. My weird in laws scolded us for not being super duper supportive and agreed with BIL that it was True Love.

By month 4 of the pregnancy they absolutely despised each other. Screaming matches, tears on the phone, the lot. I grew close to her (he has good taste, she is lovely!) and turns out he very much misrepresented himself to her in the early days so she got swept away in the romance.

Anyway by the time the baby was 3 months old they split up and have had the most toxic relationship ever since. Which is awful for their lovely DD - who is now 9. And the family have been real pillars of support to them. I’m still close to her and we often meet up with the kids, they’ve both moved on with other people but my good they really can’t stand each other.

I’ve never said “I told you so” but it’s hard not to when he bangs in about what a stupid cow she is and how she’s thick/rude/stupid. I have said on occasion however that he’s just gonna have to square it with himself that, if you have a baby with someone you barely know, you can’t be surprised when it doesn’t all turn out peachy.

Please
or

SpikeySmooth · 18/01/2022 01:59

A reverse one first. I was referred by the midwife to see an obstetrician. I didn't understand why. Obs said my baby was a bit small. I said, oh, I'm sure we are both fine. Time goes on, more checks. Obs says, baby still isn't growing as we'd like. I was in utter denial, saying, whatever. Then finally, I had a scan and Obs said, we are admitting you. Why? I feel fine. Then they found lots of protein in my urine. Pre-eclampsia. Then I had an emergency CS. I was convinced right up to when I got the anaesthesia they were wrong, when in fact they saved my, and my child's lives.

DH knew his best friend's girlfriend from old. They were all from the same area, had the same friends. DH said, you are making a mistake, she will screw you over. Even refused to go to the wedding, and their friendship suffered. Long story short, she screwed him over. We are now going to his best friend's second wedding soon, and again DH isn't entirely convinced this will last either...

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.