Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

To say no to voucher instead of Christmas night out

Askinforabaskin · 26/11/2021 18:33

Basically I have agreed to arrange the night out for my team at work. We have a budget of £35 per head every year. Usually if you don’t attend your money just gets put into the kitty for drinks for everyone else.

Obviously last year we didn’t have a night out due to covid. So everyone got a bottle (tbh it could have been anything they wanted from the supermarket) in place of that.

This year we are having a day out (meal followed by drinks, in the afternoon so people can still get train home). Obviously due to the nature of these things not everyone can make it due to other commitments so I have had a few people say they can’t attend.

But today I had a pretty shitty phone call from a guy saying he disagreed with the night out and he didn’t want to catch covid and was demanding a voucher instead. Although I am organising it, I have no control over the money (I have purely just been contacting the venue). Unfortunately the manager who is in control of the money is off just now as his poor wife is very ill. I tried to explain the situation to the guy and that basically it wasn’t my call to make and he was rather nasty about the manager. I managed to palm him off but no doubt he’ll be back in contact soon.

OP's posts:
Please
or

GodIsAVegan · 27/11/2021 16:36

I’ve worked for two employers that gave a voucher if you didn’t want to attend the Xmas party, so I can see his point. especially with covid. It’s not acceptable that he was nasty though. It’s out of your control so that’s the end of it, if he comes back again, tell him the same again.

Please
or

DriftingBlue · 28/11/2021 01:33

@WomanStanleyWoman

“ I wouldn’t be boasting about being around a long time’ if I were you. You just sound a bit old-fashioned.”

Why are you spouting this ageist nonsense? Are you a woman like your name implies? You should be fighting against the ageism that women face both in the workplace and in society, not becoming an active participant.

Please
or

DriftingBlue · 28/11/2021 01:39

@Whichcatthatcat

Thats just silly. The party is open to all, if you decide not to go, fair play, just politely refuse the invite. Just like any other social event.

I often put cakes in the staffroom on a Friday. I get an alternative for those with allergies. If someone told me they didn't fancy a cake but could I give them the £2 cash equivalent I'd tell them to take a running jump!

The catch is that in the Covid era, the party isn’t really open to all. Vulnerable employees or those with vulnerable household members can’t attend. They just can’t.

I still stand by my position that complaining about the party to the employer is unwise. There are much bigger issues that may come up at work and those are the ones worth addressing. A party you can’t attend is not the time to make a stand.

If I were an employer trying to acknowledge my employees after an especially difficult year, I would be trying to think about all of my employees, not just the young and healthy. I wouldn’t want the Christmas party to make someone feel excluded. I think it’s a bad decision from a management perspective.
Please
or

ClaryFairchild · 28/11/2021 02:19

Apart from anything else there are very different financial implications tax wise between work finding a Christmas do and giving a voucher.

Please
or

Wingedharpy · 28/11/2021 03:17

I would pay £35 NOT to go to the work Christmas meal.Wink

Please
or

WomanStanleyWoman · 28/11/2021 10:48

[quote DriftingBlue]@WomanStanleyWoman

“ I wouldn’t be boasting about being around a long time’ if I were you. You just sound a bit old-fashioned.”

Why are you spouting this ageist nonsense? Are you a woman like your name implies? You should be fighting against the ageism that women face both in the workplace and in society, not becoming an active participant.[/quote]
Old-fashioned attitudes don’t necessarily relate to age. You can have outdated views at any stage, sadly.

Please
or

2021namechanger · 28/11/2021 10:56

There’s a tax implication here. Christmas parties are tax deductible. Christmas gifts for staff are not.

Please
or

Yuledo · 28/11/2021 11:00

Just be grateful for what you are offered. It’s a perk not a right.

Please
or

MassiveHoard · 28/11/2021 11:08

Ah, the entitlement. If he had been reasonable about it then i could've understood more where he's coming from. But entitled people reap what they sow.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.