My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To be surprised by the number of holidays?

272 replies

brondary · 19/05/2021 20:22

I have been really surprised by the number of holidays some people on MN go on. I would not have the money or the annual leave to go on that many.
Last Summer people were commenting saying how since the first lockdown in March, they had already had to cancel three holidays. Various people talking about how they normally go on five or six holidays a year and are really missing them.
I must mix in different circles as I did not realise any except the super-rich went on this many holidays.

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

359 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
37%
You are NOT being unreasonable
63%
SwimBaby · 20/05/2021 07:37

Why would this thread be representative of the real world? if people see a thread titled holidays and are really into their holidays they will post. Same as I wouldn’t post on a thread I have no interest in.

PurBal · 20/05/2021 07:42

We usually go on lots of short breaks. So lots of long weekends in the UK (usually camping) and Europe. We had planned a big trip to East Asia this year (4 weeks) and we often go long haul once a year. However, the long haul trip is almost always to see family so we only pay the cost of flights: peak season this is about £900 but low season can be as little as £400 each. I get 5 weeks annual leave.

loginfail · 20/05/2021 07:47

Prior to Covid you could pick up a cheap LoCo flight from the UK to Europe out of many of the UK regional airports, most especially outside of school holiday season....add on to that the explosion in things like Air BnB over the last few years and you can see why weekend/midweek breaks were becoming increasingly popular especially amongst those without the complications of having children.

If people are then including those short breaks as holidays I'm not surprised you are hearing the sort of numbers some people are coming up with.

TheNinny · 20/05/2021 07:52

Once/if things ever go back to normal we will probably be only able to do 1 holiday a year abroad to europe - for a week or so, maybe 10 days if a deal or something. Amd every other or 3rd year do a trip further away. And maybe 1-2 weekends at a lodge or something somewhere in uk. We visit family too but more for care purposes. Our income is over 60k but after bills this is probably the most we could do unless we blow all our savings. We have a big childcare bill at the moment. Ive done loads of travelling before having a family and cant wait to do it again once DD is old enough to remember

katienana · 20/05/2021 08:08

We used to do city breaks a lot (we had to jan-march 2020) but I wouldn't think of that as a holiday as such. Anyone doing 3 two week sunshine breaks I am seriously envious of! We have a static caravan now so we go there almost every weekend and every school holidays. It's been brilliant and I feel really lucky knowing we have a holiday sorted. In 2022 I will be ready for an all inclusive though!!!

NotThereNow · 20/05/2021 08:16

I think the South East/London point is valid in relation to closeness to Heathrow. My boss paid less for her family to fly to Seattle, than I did for the same number to Alicante in July from the North (2019!).

As per other threads on comparing with others, there are many hidden factors such as inheritances, premium bond wins, compensation payouts to take into account.

SwimBaby · 20/05/2021 08:25

Good point about area, I live very near an airport and half my street work or worked at the airport. So it’s normal to talk about travelling and trips. We have a lot of retired couple neighbours too who seem to like lots of holidays. So for me it’s quite normal to ask about their trips, say a big holiday to New Zealand and they’ll ask what I have booked and then they’ll tell me their future plans. None of us go away only once a year and none bat an eyelid if someone has a three or four holidays lined up.
My two best friends on the other hand probably have a holiday costing about 3k every 3 or so years.

SwimBaby · 20/05/2021 08:27

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn - posted on the wrong thread.

Undeuxdrei · 20/05/2021 08:35

@Waxonwaxoff0 Presumably you pay minimum rent or have no mortgage.
I earn about £1700 -1800 month, no way could I afford long haul, short haul plus city breaks in one year. Then again I do save for a rainy day, uni costs for my kids etc..

Hobbesmanc · 20/05/2021 08:40

We both have 25 days and we arent tied to school holidays. So with careful use of Bank hols etc and flexible bosses we take several holidays every year. But we don't bother taking any a/l at Christmas for example. the statutory days off are enough. Travel is our main hobby

Interestedparty132 · 20/05/2021 08:41

I don’t like travelling and I don’t like lying in the sun and prefer to be home rather than away, so I’m not too fussed about holidays at all. But I’m pretty open-mouthed at the number of holidays on here. I think I must be in the minority. Are you never tempted to save the cash for kids’ education, nicer house or something that isn’t over after a couple of weeks?
Hand on heart with all the climate change, I really hope that the pandemic means a longer term end to people taking four trips abroad and annual long-haul flights.

Waxonwaxoff0 · 20/05/2021 08:44

[quote Undeuxdrei]@Waxonwaxoff0 Presumably you pay minimum rent or have no mortgage.
I earn about £1700 -1800 month, no way could I afford long haul, short haul plus city breaks in one year. Then again I do save for a rainy day, uni costs for my kids etc..[/quote]
I have a mortgage of £300pm. Band A council tax with single person discount. Don't own a car, no transport costs as my work is walking distance from home. Minimal childcare costs as I negotiated working hours so I could do school pick up, so I only pay for breakfast club. I do have some savings, building them back up as I bought my house last year which wiped most of them out. I'm not saving for uni costs to be honest, if DS decides to go he'll get the max loan due to my low income and I can help him out then, also his dad can help him.

Bumblebee1980a · 20/05/2021 08:56

We go on two long haul flights a year (and sometimes one to Europe) and aim to go to Wales once a month for on average.

This year we will be spending the summer in Wales as our holiday has been postponed due to it being on the red list - it would have been three weeks on a long haul holiday.

JaninaDuszejko · 20/05/2021 09:02

I think the South East/London point is valid in relation to closeness to Heathrow. My boss paid less for her family to fly to Seattle, than I did for the same number to Alicante in July from the North (2019!).

Exactly. The last trip away we did to Italy the flights were £1500 (2 flights each way for 5 people including all the taxes). Self catering for a week cost similar so that's £3K sunk before we did or ate anything. I live in an affluent suburb in a cheap part of the country but some of my friends never go anywhere abroad, and there's lots of camping holidays. I suppose if I wanted to I could spend £20K a year on holidays but I'd rather have savings or spend money on the house (and lets put that £20K into context, in the area of the country I live in it's the average wage). And since we don't live near family we do need to use some annual leave to visit them (luckily DH and I both come from tourist destinations so we do get to fit in some culture).

OopsUp · 20/05/2021 09:11

I usually go away for 1-2 weeks a year (in the UK) plus a few weekends cheaply (caravan etc).

I have 30 days AL plus bank holidays. Kids all grown up so don't have to use AL for childcare.

Pay for son to go away once a year for long haul holiday.

freakyfridays · 20/05/2021 09:12

I don’t like travelling and I don’t like lying in the sun

which is absolutely fair enough,
but the whole point of holidays and going away is that you can do a hell of a lot more than going to lay in the sun.

Are you never tempted to save the cash for kids’ education, nicer house or something that isn’t over after a couple of weeks?

Travelling IS part of the kids' education, and family time is very important.

I don't think anyone should prefer holidays - the least people travel, the quieter MY trips Grin but I can't see the point to be stuck home.

If nothing else, the lockdowns have shown us (my family) that we need to prioritise holidays and make the most of what we can when its possible.

Talk1ngD1n0s · 20/05/2021 09:23

Pre covid, if booked more than 8 months in advance it was possible to get a flight to Europe for less than £50 return

Or

Bargains on overnight ferries to Europe as a foot passenger & free coach to city centre

Or

5 nights in static caravan last Oct less than £100

Beachmum23 · 20/05/2021 09:26

We camp alot and go away alot. In normal years its about £50 to go away for the weekend for our family. Its not expensive. Although this year prices are ridiculous

Undeuxdrei · 20/05/2021 09:31

@Waxonwaxoff0 but if you can afford all those holidays, long haul, short haul plus breaks in a single year which must amount to possibly 6 or 7k at least you are not badly off...

coco123456789 · 20/05/2021 09:43

I think it depends on the sort of holiday you go on. To me a ‘holiday’ is anywhere that is not my house, so a long weekend at the in laws is a holiday, 3 nights in a tent in England is a holiday etc. We are restricted to school holidays so try and get away every school holiday. DH wouldn’t always come depending on how much holiday he has left, so sometimes I would go to France for a week with the kids and my parents. That’s what we did growing up too. My mum was a teacher so had loads of holiday so we sometimes went without my dad with grandparents or whatever

Wegobshite · 20/05/2021 09:57

Prior to lockdown we would normally do 3 -4 Week holiday in Feb - March long haul
2 weeks in June & 1- 2 weeks in October to somewhere in Europe and 2 -3 weekend breaks in the uk
But it’s only either me and DH or myself and my son who’s an adult so we weren’t paying for kids
It’s the first time in over 20 years I’ve gone over a whole year without a holiday
I’m hoping we can go away in September for two weeks to one Europe but who knows
I do have two weeks in Turkey booked for next May I paid £850 two weeks AI for myself on my own as I’m joining my sister and her family & kids

rookiemere · 20/05/2021 10:17

I get 6 weeks holiday as standard from my big institution and usually buy an extra week, so it's quite common to have 7 weeks holiday in my profession.

Pre Coronavirus we had quite a few holidays per year. Either a family ski trip at Feb half term or at Easter. I'd have a long weekend skiing with friends, possibly two summer breaks one UK with family and one abroad and then Canaries in October if at all possible.

Holidays are a huge priority to me, obviously the last year has been rather tricky Grin.

BigSandyBalls2015 · 20/05/2021 10:32

I don't understand how someone can earn £100K a year and not have enough for a holiday ... even if their mortgage is £1500 a month. That's still only a fifth of your wage. I know there's tax etc.

As for self employed .... they're legally allowed to pay less tax, it's one of the very few perks of being self employed in this country. They make everything else damn hard so why not.

GintyMcGinty · 20/05/2021 10:44

In normal times we would usually go on one main family holiday (10-14 days) and then 2 or 3 short breaks - some with, some without the children.

The main holiday and one of the short breaks would be abroad and the others in the UK.

This year we are hoping for a week on the south coast of England and a week at Centre Parks.

If things improve further we might try and go abroad for 7-10 days in the October holidays but we will leave it till the last minute to decide.

Our income is just over 6 figures.

brondary · 20/05/2021 10:59

@BigSandyBalls2015 private schooling or some other massive expense?

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.