Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Are they being deliberately rude?

22 replies

grumpycorn · 19/05/2021 13:09

I really dislike the school run at the moment, there are quite a few cliques and some not particularly nice people within them.
Today, a mum said very deliberately and loudly to my son 'Morning XX' as he walked by to which he didn't respond (as only 5 and wanted to find his friends), and to be friendly I said 'Morning' to her to which she looked away and just blanked me.
This has really annoyed me for some reason, as why speak to my child and blank me? I wish it didn't annoy me, but it has. I have nothing to do with her usually apart from the odd hello if passing, so if she's irritated by something then its solely of her creation. I find all the school gate politics shitty enough as it is without adults behaving like children.

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

StopSayingDueDiligence · 19/05/2021 13:47

Yeah she was being a dick.

I swear half the reason I work full time is for the excuse to pay someone to take my kids to school and back so I don't have to.

OwlTwitterings · 19/05/2021 13:49

Honestly, there are enough nice and pleasant people in the world to spend time with. Don’t waste anymore thought on other mums who are unfriendly on the school run.

GertrudePerkinsPaperyThing · 19/05/2021 13:51

Ignore, ignore, ignore.

But yes she was being rude.

VladmirsPoutine · 19/05/2021 13:53

Yes she was being rude. Sorry that happened but is this more like the straw that broke the camels back? Because playground politics are much worse than this? Is this what made you really think 'fuck all of this'?

Tooshytoshine · 19/05/2021 14:31

Imagine being such an insecure weirdo that you have to engage in such pathetic power play?!!

Don't engage with it, don't let her bother you, say hello loudly to her child next time. She's a muppet.

newnortherner111 · 19/05/2021 14:51

I hope her lack of manners does not extend to her children. I wonder if the Gove children take after their mum or their dad when it comes to manners?

mainsfed · 19/05/2021 14:54

She was a dick but I wouldn't have said hello to her. Why would you be friendly to someone who ignores an adult to stay hello to a child?

grumpycorn · 19/05/2021 15:56

I get what you mean. I mainly did it because my son (with aln) sometimes needs help socially so I was showing him how to reply to someone.

OP posts:
grumpycorn · 19/05/2021 15:57

Thanks your reply really cheered me up! 😊

OP posts:
mainsfed · 19/05/2021 15:57

Ah, makes sense. Imagine how shallow she must be to behave like this.

grumpycorn · 19/05/2021 15:59

@Tooshytoshine thanks your reply really cheered me up!

OP posts:
LettyLoman · 19/05/2021 16:01

Wasn’t she just saying morning to the both of you? Therefore when you replied she didn’t need to repeat herself?

grumpycorn · 19/05/2021 16:02

@mainsfed I know....! she also made a point of very loudly announcing her evening plans (with her clique) so a few of us (not invited) would hear as we waited today 🙄 ....it took a lot of effort not to shout 'no one gives a f**k!'

OP posts:
Bluntness100 · 19/05/2021 16:04

Is there just constant threads on this at the moment. “ the other mums aren’t nice to me on the school run” . When did it turn into such an obsession?

grumpycorn · 19/05/2021 16:08

@Bluntness100 don't know I don't normally post. But tbf, it's just a bit of a shit time isn't it so not that hard to be kind? Although I'm obviously wrong about that!

OP posts:
grumpycorn · 19/05/2021 16:09

@LettyLoman no it was very much directed one way verbally / body language etc.

OP posts:
Aprilx · 19/05/2021 16:16

Perhaps she didn’t hear you or see you or was just distracted with her own thoughts. Yesterday my next door neighbour and I drove past each other and he waved but I didn’t register who it was. I hope he hasn’t started a thread about his deliberately rude next door neighbour. Seriously why are you giving this any head space. Grow up you are at the school gates not in the school yard anymore.

grumpycorn · 19/05/2021 16:20

@Aprilx Context is everything right? Thanks for your comment, have a lovely day ☺️👍

OP posts:
PonyPals · 19/05/2021 16:57

This is just what happened to me this morning!
She said....Morning Jay* and completely ignored me.
She belongs to a group of mums I call the "mean" girls

grumpycorn · 19/05/2021 17:04

@PonyPals sorry you've had this today too! Absolutely mean girls....so bizarre to treat people this way.

OP posts:
StopSayingDueDiligence · 20/05/2021 11:18

@Bluntness100

Is there just constant threads on this at the moment. “ the other mums aren’t nice to me on the school run” . When did it turn into such an obsession?

Perhaps because the kids have been back for only a short while given that they had most of a year off?
Perhaps because social distancing is relaxing so more parents are bumping into each other?

Perhaps playground cliques have always been a topic on mums net, for at least the last 10 years I've been here and you have only just noticed?

Perhaps all of the above.
Justgivemeamoment · 20/05/2021 12:04

Oh my goodness, this could have easily been me ! I really like saying hi to my daughters' friends because they greet me too. And I do say hi to the parents too, of course but school run can be quite hectic. I have two little ones who have to be dropped off at two different doors at the same time and it can be a bit busy at the gates. Also we all have to wear masks which makes communication a bit hard.

I really try to be nice to everyone and I would be so upset if I seemed rude.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.