My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Wrong place to ask but for traffic what are your 8-10 year olds in to !!

34 replies

Bringminimoons · 09/05/2021 22:02

Hey
I am looking for ideas on what to get 8 year old DD.
She is very musical and arty. She has recently unfortunately has to have a leg amputation.
I have asked her for ideas but apart from a gaming pc she hasn’t really specified anything else and is a bit down for obvious reasons so is not really excited much.

Is there any hidden gems out at the moment that are popular ?

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

5 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
60%
You are NOT being unreasonable
40%
Wallabyone · 09/05/2021 22:14

I'm so sorry she's had to go through that - I hope she's lots better soon x

I have an almost 9 year old son-he is getting some Harry Potter bits (rucksack, Lego, little toys from Waterstones), some arty felt tips and an art book, lots of new books (Artemis Fowl,
The Ickabog, the Usborne book 'Money'), a frisbee, and tickets to Harry Potter studios.

Bringminimoons · 09/05/2021 22:15

Ahh Harry Potter studio that’s a good shout !!

OP posts:
parietal · 09/05/2021 22:26

activities mine like include -

• making stop-motion movies on a tablet with lego / toys
  • a grown up watercolour painting set & proper art paper
  • hama beads
  • swimming (if that is suitable for her)
funnyoldonion · 09/05/2021 22:31

Bless her! My 8 year old really likes those fidget toys, pop its, simple dimples or kelz kids sensory water balls they are good for anxiety too. Hope she feels better soon!

DancingQueen2018 · 09/05/2021 22:33

My 10 year old is hugely into fashion design. She has design sketchbooks (from make it real, but there are loads), little harumika Mannequins (which she dresses with offcuts), and she’s just started using a sewing machine to make dolls clothes.

Bringminimoons · 09/05/2021 22:34

@DancingQueen2018 are the little harumika sets any good ?

OP posts:
DancingQueen2018 · 09/05/2021 22:39

@Bringminimoons she really likes them, and spends a lot of time watching YouTube to get more ideas.
They only come with a couple of bits of material, but we just use offcuts (mostly from my mum, but also from fabric shops).
They’re very easy to use as you just have to push the fabric in to hold it in place, so no pinning or sewing (unless you want to!).

Bringminimoons · 09/05/2021 22:41

Thank you I will have a look :) I need some things she cAn do from bed for a while with a table.

OP posts:
GallopingGreen · 09/05/2021 22:58

Sending your DD very best wishes for her recovery. My 7 and 9 year old have received a few of the national geographic gemstone dig kits and really enjoyed "excavating" for the gems for hours at the table.

Feelingconfused2020 · 09/05/2021 23:02

Also have you tried week jnr it's a great magazine my DS(10) gets excited to read it on a Friday.

So sorry about your dd I hope she makes a quick recovery

Feelingconfused2020 · 09/05/2021 23:04

Also the website bandlab is great if she is musical. She can compose her own music and pur it all together online. We discovered it last lockdown and mine had a lot of fun with it

Checkingout811 · 09/05/2021 23:05

Another DD8 into fashion design here. She loves her sewing machine, harumika and she has an easel with good pencils and paper.
She is also really into Lego & will sit for hours making her builds. Are there any Lego sets she likes the look of?

Sounds like she has been through an awful time, I really hope she recovers well, physically & mentally. X

Iremembertheelderlykoreanlady · 09/05/2021 23:05

Rock painting?

You can get kits now but when I was little you just found a nice pebble, painted it and got a pet rock. The kits are really good.

Does she like singing? Maybe get some singing lessons booked? Or she could learn to play an instrument?

I'm so sorry she is going through this and I hope you manage to find something she loves doing

Feelingconfused2020 · 09/05/2021 23:09

Yes lego is a great idea.

Moonlaserbearwolf · 09/05/2021 23:09

A piano keyboard with lots of drums, instrument sounds, beats etc and recording facility? My daughter spends hours playing with hers.

SavingsQuestions · 09/05/2021 23:12

We've just got into crystal art/painting
That is brilliant and quite absorbing and can be done sat down- go for a simple one to begin with and get a spare pen for you. Its genuinely brilliant and not expensive.

Hankunamatata · 09/05/2021 23:12

Its all about minecraft in this house and watching you tube about minecraft. Since she is recovering perhaps a mobile phone or tablet so she can facetime her friends. Mine facetimes lots during lockdown. Doing activities with their friends while on facetime, if that makes sense.
One of mine is having zoom piano lessons so got an electronic piano with head phones - keyboard would do the same job.

Bringminimoons · 09/05/2021 23:14

Thank you for your ideas. I feel awful as for Xmas she got a bike and roller skates as her main presents and we was not expecting what was going to happen afterwards.

I will have a look at the suggestions ! Thank you

OP posts:
freeez · 09/05/2021 23:20

I'm so sorry to hear this OP. I hope she makes a good recovery.

My 10yo DD currently loves loom bands and makes bracelets for her friends. Lego is probably her other big interest right now.

Flywheel · 09/05/2021 23:27

My dd is a little older, but she also loves art and music. Some of her favourite presents over the last couple of years have been a tongue drum and water colour pens (and lots of nice paper).
Sorry to hear about your dd and best of luck

maddening · 09/05/2021 23:29

Minecraft! But it may be a blessing as when she is recovering from the op she can be in touch with friends and play online.

maddening · 09/05/2021 23:29

As in, being into gaming is a blessing, it was when we went to lockdown 1 for ds as an only dc

SylvanianFrenemies · 09/05/2021 23:35

Minecraft, Among Us, YouTube and Animal Crossing. Nintendo Switch is great for age appropriate games.
Aquabeads.
Drawing - maybe a "how to" drawing book or a case of art materials.
Kidizoom studio camera is good for stop motion and playing around with special effects. Certainly something she could do on a tabletop eg with lego figures.

Lockdownlumpy · 09/05/2021 23:41

This is pretty outside the box but what about a hoverboard with a hovercart attachment?
Loads of that age group have them around here and if I understand correctly they are controlled by hand levers not legs, so could help her feel a bit normal?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.