Please help me make a life changing decision
SkittlesRainbow · 10/04/2021 21:12
I have posted recently that I was out at risk of redundancy while pregnant. I applied for loads of roles internally to secure my maternity leave. Last week I was offered a job at the same grade in another team. I was so relieved. Then once we agreed a start date they informed me that they were only prepared to pay me 80% of what I earn now. The salary I was on 5 years ago. It feels like a massive professional step back.
In the meantime I have had the first of my three individual consultation meetings, and informed I have been put into a protected pool of two people and there is one job available. That gives me a 50% chance I can keep my role at my own salary, but the current job offer won't wait until this process is over. I have also applied for at least 10 other internal jobs so have more back up options. There is a lot of competition for these roles due to large numbers at risk.
My preference would be to stay, as if I take the job where they want to lower my salary, I can't get back to where I am easily - they only increase pay by 10% if you get promoted(!) I will have to look externally once I return from maternity as our mortgage depends on my earnings. It makes me feel a bit forced out, when it would be nice to have the security of a company I know while the baby is little. I am currently suffering with hyperemesis, and have been diagnosed with anxiety and depression due to the illness and work stress. I just want this to all be over so I can relax.
However it's a massive gamble and I am genuinely exhausted. What would you do?
YABU - Take the offer on the table, focus on health, and worry about money / jobs when you return.
YANBU - Don't stand for less, take the risk and fight now to make it easier in the long run.
Am I being unreasonable?AIBU
You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.
gamerchick · 10/04/2021 21:19
What did your other thread suggest? Maybe you can read back over those replies. I'm not voting as I hate buttons that are assigned to something and this is your RL. Not something for strangers to decide on by clicking a button.
I'm sorry you're stressed out OP. Not something you need atm.
Namenic · 10/04/2021 21:23
I guess it would depend on my financial situation. I’d be less willing to take risks if I was the sole/main earner or high outgoings - I might take the job with less money. However if I had a buffer (eg could live on partner’s salary), I might be more tempted to stay. Hard decision though - good luck whatever you decide.
SkittlesRainbow · 10/04/2021 21:29
I have investigated and apparently they can do this. Have spoken to ACAS and others about it and they can do it if it's a different role (even at the same grade), so that is the reality. This is why I am trying to work out whether to just go for it or keep fighting for a better role.
Going down an employment law route is timely, and stressful and unlikely to be successful. It's not something I have the capacity to do right now.
suggestionsplease1 · 10/04/2021 22:44
Do you know who the other candidate is for the existing role? Sometimes that can let you have a guess at your prospects. Or can you approach your employer and ask for leeway in this...that a decision is made on your existing role before you have to commit to the new one?
Sounds really stressful, hope it works out for you either way. (Were you not offered a job with another company for a much higher wage but didn't take it because if the maternity situation?... I am trying to recall other thread...) That must give you an idea of your value!
To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.