Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To ask for a half day off work

9 replies

prettypurpledaisy · 09/10/2007 20:27

I work in a school as an lsa, I appreciate that I get 12 weeks holiday per year, but my daughter has qualified for a dance competition in Blackpool, which is at least 6 hours drive away, and would like to leave school at 12. I have been honest and not had a sickie and am now being made to feel really bad for asking.
In addition I am going to Paris with the year 11s, leaving at 4am on Thursday returning at 9.30pm on Saturday without overtime so feel I am owed some time.
So AIBU?

OP posts:

tribpot · 09/10/2007 20:29

Doesn't sound unreasonable to me, but I don't work in a school. How would they cover your half day? This may be a naive question but why don't you get paid overtime for that kind of trip? Is it because you have the 'joy' of an 'all expenses paid' trip to Paris where you 'only' have to look after the year 11s?

prettypurpledaisy · 09/10/2007 20:36

My Friday afternoon lessons would be left without lsa support which is a problem for the statemented children but if that was an issue I could find cover. As for the trip overtime is never paid we just do it and I don't mind I have a free trip to Paris and am looking forward to it, but there seems to be no give and take.

OP posts:

Donk · 09/10/2007 20:55

Its a school. Unless you are lucky with your Head, there is no give and take.......
I know one head who tried to stop someone taking a day of to go to their own wedding (until the Union pointed out that that is specifically allowed for in terms and conditions of employment)
'Overtime' does not exist in schools. You do the hours needed to do the job....

hana · 09/10/2007 21:03

you have nothign to lose by aasking - surely you'd have an understanding head

prettypurpledaisy · 09/10/2007 21:07

This is the first time in four years I have asked, I appreciate that there are constraints because of the 12 weeks holiday a year, but it would be so much easier to leave at lunchtime and miss the rush hour. My dd's school have been very supportive. Never mind will leave at 3 as usual and get there late, at least she can sleep in car. Maybe abu afterall.

OP posts:

Donk · 09/10/2007 21:08

No YANBU - just unrealistic!

Lazarou · 09/10/2007 21:23

THe school is being unreasonable, but remember this one in future when they need a favour from you.

fizzbuzz · 09/10/2007 21:39

They are being tight. You would be allowed time for this in my school,probably paid as well.

cat64 · 09/10/2007 21:45

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?