Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

To want a pair of noise cancelling headphones

19 replies

chillimartini · 18/08/2020 22:15

Can anyone suggest some reasonably priced but good quality noise cancelling headphones? I have been looking for a while but they are sooooo expensive!!

OP posts:
Please
or

chillimartini · 19/08/2020 14:21

Come on people!!! Help me out! My budget is £150 max

OP posts:
Please
or

ChrissyPlummer · 19/08/2020 14:35

Well, I’ve got the Bose Quiet Comfort ones but they are £££. Skull Candy have some that I tried in HMV (probably won’t be able to now) and they were good and are cheaper (around £100-£150 IIRC). Could try those?

www.skullcandy.co.uk/shop/headphones/bluetooth-headphones/

Please
or

RaggieDolls · 19/08/2020 14:40

DH has these... they are a bit above your budget but they are amazing. DH does a lot of long haul flights for work. He says they are the best thing he's ever owned because they completely block the engine noise.

He brought them in store pre COVID when you could try them all out.

www.johnlewis.com/sony-wh-1000xm3-noise-cancelling-wireless-bluetooth-nfc-high-resolution-audio-over-ear-headphones-with-mic-remote/black/p3751140

Sony do have a cheaper pair for £159. They might be worth a look.

Please
or
Please
or

Adifferentcomment · 19/08/2020 15:33

Do any of your friends have something you can try? Headphones are a very personal preference and fit.

I'd also strongly recommend to try something in a shop, before buying. I'm not sure how practical that is these days with Covid?

I got a pair of Bose ones a few years ago as a present from DP. However, I just did not like noise cancelling effect, it certainly did reduce the noise, but there was something unpleasant about it for me.

Please
or

ErickBroch · 19/08/2020 15:38

I recommend the Bose QC 35 II second-hand. I had mine for 3 years (bought for £330) and just sold to a friend for £80. They are incredible. I only sold as I have upgraded to the Bose 700.

Please
or

jay55 · 19/08/2020 15:40

What type do you want In ear or over ear?
Do you need wireless/Bluetooth?
Rechargeable or battery?

Please
or

Guiltypleasures001 · 19/08/2020 15:56

I've just got a pair of Bose from eBay for £40 beautifully comfortable
Padded zip up carry case, quiet comfort I think they are
I luffs them, just in time for Sky sports to make a come back Grin

Please
or

Miiaaoow · 19/08/2020 15:56

I have the Bose qc25 over ear headphones, which I love and use daily. However, If I had to buy again, I would get the qc35, just because it's frustrating to have to hunt a battery everytime it runs out. I paid around £75ish from CEX, and the qc35 are currently £155 for B quality which is perfectly fine, but tends to come without the accessories etc.

Please
or

Guiltypleasures001 · 19/08/2020 15:57

Sorry they were used, but in excellent condition, there's lots on there

Please
or

Miiaaoow · 19/08/2020 16:00

I also have the in ear QC20, which are also really great, but hurt my ears if worn for long periods. You'll need to buy an extra connector if you have an up to date phone as they are pretty old and don't work if you have anything past an iphone 6.

Please
or

HexyAndIKnowIt · 19/08/2020 16:02

I recently acquired a pair of Sennheiser Momentums, only because they were a Factory Issue at Red Bull F1. Turns out they are noise cancelling and absolutely the best headphones I've used.

You can pick up second hand Momentums quite cheaply, but look on Sennheisers website as they often have refurb sales.

Please
or

EatDessertFirst · 19/08/2020 17:29

I've got a pair of Boltune (BT-BH011) for around £50 from Amazon. I have sensory issues with a lot of noise but wasn't sure if noise-cancelling was right for me (I still need to hear SOMETHING at work/kids). I know they aren't top of the line like some already mentioned but they work perfectly for me.

Please
or

FixTheBone · 19/08/2020 17:33

Not quite in the same category, but my taotronics off amazon were £40 and were miles better than I expected. Added benefit of not fearing losing or damaging them.

I have fairly high standards (arcam / linn system at home) and I've not been dissapointed by them.

Please
or

RonObvious · 19/08/2020 17:43

I did some research on noise-cancelling headphones before I bought mine, and these featured quite often on recommendation sites as the best budget option: www.amazon.co.uk/Soundcore-Bluetooth-Headphones-Cancellation-Playtime-Black/dp/B07NM3RSRQ?tag=mumsnet&ascsubtag=mnforum-21

I bought them, and have been very pleased with them.

Please
or

Notimeforaname · 19/08/2020 17:46

Plantronics are fantastic. But around 200 for the really good ones. Noise cancellation is amazing on them. Also the microphone is good, you can use it to pick up and amplify private conversations around you😂 but seriously though I use it if I'm walkin home alone at night to pick up any sounds around me to alert me.
It's sounds weird written down but it's been handy at times Grin

Please
or

Notimeforaname · 19/08/2020 17:47

Weirder still because I got them for the opposite effect...

Please
or

Cooltalkin · 19/08/2020 17:58

I have akg that were about £130
Came lower than Bose in tests but came second which is pretty good considering the price differential
Love them especially on flights if we ever get to do that again
Sit on ear and neat looking

Please
or

Aragog · 19/08/2020 18:33

We all have Bose over ear ones. Bought them for long haul flights though Dh and dd use theirs all the time with their iPads. You do need to remember to put a battery in and turn the noise cancelling bit into though.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?