Put a question to Bridget Phillipson, Shadow Education Minister

My feed

to access all these features


Won't accept me because I get universal credit

125 replies

keysonthehighshelf · 27/12/2019 19:57

I'm really shocked. I bring home 1500 a month, but am a lone parent who has left an abusive relationship. I get no maintenance for my son and due to this my outgoings are massive. 700 a month for the child minder full time. I'm trying to find a place to rent, found somewhere perfect for me and my one year old, but they won't accept me because I am on receipt of universal credit. Is this right? I didn't know this was a thing.

OP posts:
80sstyle · 27/12/2019 20:25

I had a similar experience and had to agree to pay 6 months rent in advance. Could you offer that?

Selene28 · 27/12/2019 20:26

Next time, don't tell the landlord you're claiming. They won't ask for proof.

dreichhogmanay · 27/12/2019 20:27

I have landlord insurance with a major provider and it excludes renting to people who receive benefits.
I believe that mortgage providers often have the same clause.

keysonthehighshelf · 27/12/2019 20:28

I could maybe pay 3/4 months in advance but probably not 6..

OP posts:
MiniGuinness · 27/12/2019 20:29

As has been pointed out multiple times on this thread, and every single other thread about this. It is NOT the LL who is refusing people in receipt of benefits.

Lazypuppy · 27/12/2019 20:30

@11keysonthehighshelf i rented a property out and the mortgage company put restrictions on who i could rent to - i wasn't allow3d ro rent the property to anyone in receipt of income benefits. Not always landlords choice.

Find a landlord who doesn't have a buy to let mortgage

ivykaty44 · 27/12/2019 20:32

but they won't accept me because I am on receipt of universal credit. Is this right? I didn't know this was a thing.

Yes it’s a thing, it’s also a thing to only accept two people renting and not solo people unless your income is over £25k

Go and speak to your local housing at council and see if they can help you with private renting, they may know agents that can help as they will liaise with private rental agents

Explain you’re homeless and importantly why, advice you’re trying to rent but can’t due to benefits

See what they suggest

Good luck

CodenameVillanelle · 27/12/2019 20:34

The government in their wisdom combined all benefits so someone who doesn't claim the rent element can still claim UC, whereas previously they only asked about housing benefit and didn't ask about tax credits.
Next time say no. What they mean is 'do you claim help with rent' which you don't, so say no.

1Morewineplease · 27/12/2019 20:36

Unfortunately, private landlords are not legally obliged to accept benefit claimants. Councils are obliged but they no longer have the capacity due to an incredible shortage of properties .

AnotherEmma · 27/12/2019 20:39

Apply for social housing.
If you have evidence of the domestic abuse, you should be higher priority because of it.
You could apply as homeless - although you are not street homeless because you are living with your parents, you don't have a legal home.
Either way even if you don't make a homeless application they can still give you housing advice and possibly help to find somewhere that accepts people on UC.
The Shelter website has lots of very helpful info and advice about all things housing.

Crinkle77 · 27/12/2019 20:42

Why do they even know you get UC? Surely you would just show your wage slip?

Many letting agents also all for bank statements so they UC would be on there.

FruitcakeOfHate · 27/12/2019 20:46

Yes, it's a thing. They can stipulate and refuse to take any applicant on benefits. Or even not, as ivy said, they can state no kids, only want DINKs, income thresholds.

isitpossibleto · 27/12/2019 20:46

Vast majority of landlords are tetchy about UC/HB. It’s a bloody nightmare

bettybattenburg · 27/12/2019 20:47

I think it's because of the perceived risk, because some tenants on benefits are a risk because of benefits suddenly being stopped or sanctions applied the landlords think perhaps there will not be regular payments and others are limited by the terms and conditions imposed by letting agents who say 'no benefits'. It's always been a thing, 30 years ago when I first started renting you'd see signs in windows saying 'no Irish, no benefits, no DHSS'. Times haven't changed unfortunately, they are just a bit more discreet about it when they advertise.

TheBigFatMermaid · 27/12/2019 20:48

11keysonthehighshelf i rented a property out and the mortgage company put restrictions on who i could rent to - i wasn't allow3d ro rent the property to anyone in receipt of income benefits. Not always landlords choice.

What happens if a couple split while renting from you and the man moves out, leaving the woman a single parent?.

Do you really have to kick out a tenant who is probably still paying rent and looks Ng after their home?

TheBigFatMermaid · 27/12/2019 20:48

Looking after*

amy85 · 27/12/2019 20:48

Saying she only claims universal credit for childcare costs won't help...ATM she only gets help with that because she can't get the housing element as she lives with her parents. However when she rents her own place ahe will then get the housing element added to her universal credit.

As others have said it's usually down to insurance or mortgage and njot the landlord

Primadonna1 · 27/12/2019 20:50

The reason for not taking tenants who receive housing benefit is that if the claimant is no longer entitled to the benefit during the tenancy - the council will try to reclaim benefit from the landlord rather than the tenant .

TeachesOfPeaches · 27/12/2019 20:51

You will see on adverts as 'No DSS' which means they won't accept anyone in receipt of benefits. If they ask, just say you aren't.

ColdTattyWaitingForSummer · 27/12/2019 20:51

Would you be eligible for social housing at all? Either council housing or housing association? Otherwise they may be able to put you in touch with more sympathetic landlords (I forget what the scheme is called).

Lulualla · 27/12/2019 20:51

Lots doing accept single parents at all. And lots dont accept anyone on benefits. It's not exactly a secret.

jgjgjgjgjg · 27/12/2019 20:55

Honestly, I'd open a new bank account and get the universal credit paid in to that account and the childcare costs out of it. Keep it completely separate from your salary and day to day living costs. Then after three months (or however many statements the agency requires) there will be no evidence of benefits.

NeverTwerkNaked · 27/12/2019 20:55

What a nighmare! I left an abusive relationship with a one year old too and like you I had tax credit help with childcare. I am shocked. I took on the mortgage but it never crossed my mind I might have faced difficulty renting.

How tricky is it staying with your parents for a bit longer? agree, it might be worth applying for social housing. Also if you save up a bit you might be able to pay a chunk of rent in advance

TheHonestTruth100 · 27/12/2019 20:57

This is unfortunately quite common. I've rented a fair bit and I seen a lot of adverts saying they don't accept benefits/universal credit. I agree it's very unfair. This is just landlords wanting to be sure their tenant will be able to pay rent (which I understand) and some see UC as a risk (which is a massive shame).

Really hope you find somewhere soon x

Bluerussian · 27/12/2019 20:58

Next time you try to rent, don't tell them you have UC. Open another bank account to receive that. You'll find these different 'bodies' and even departments within them, don't talk to each other.

I'm so sorry about this but am sure you'll come out of it in the end, alright.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.