Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To ask your New Years resolutions

25 replies

Disillusioneddaisy · 27/12/2019 08:38

Well it's nearly that time! I know a lot of people don't believe in New Years resolutions and if you want to make positive changes you can do it any day of the year etc etc etc. But for me there is something about the promise of a new shiny year that puts me in the frame of mind for self improvement. Whether I stick to these things come February is a different matter! Mine are:

• weight loss. I lost nearly two stone in the summer on slimming world but let things slide towards the end of the year and put a significant amount back on. I felt so much more confident with some weight off and actually really enjoyed the plan and meetings so in new year I'm going back.

• read more. I love to read but sometimes starting a book seems like too much effort. So instead I scroll through social media and MN. I want to put those hours into reading.

• live healthier. This also ties into weight loss but I feel like this year I want to really appreciate and look after my body. More exercise - not necessarily gym but more long walks and being in nature. Less alcohol. After a raging hangover on Boxing Day I feel like I just waste too many days feeling crap mentally and physically after drinking.

• make more effort with dp. Just to keep our relationship exciting and fun and respectful. Not get into ruts.

• be kind. I find myself getting pulled into drama and gossip a lot especially at work. It's not me and it's really not a positive thing. I want to try and step away from meanness and focus on being kind and appreciative. Put my energy into positivity not bringing other people down.

I realise some of these sound cliche and generic. What are yours?
OP posts:
MaybeMaybeNotJ · 27/12/2019 08:55

This sounds like I could have written it. I think I’ll just share yours!

Freeshavocado · 27/12/2019 09:53

To become more environmentally friendly and also to push an environmental policy at work, we have gone 'paperless' but that's all so far.

Greydove28 · 27/12/2019 13:02

Lose weight and less time on social media

MissConductUS · 27/12/2019 13:05

To not kill my boss before I retire.

Lose a bit of weight.

Grin

mrsbyers · 27/12/2019 13:06

Same as this year to not have a hospital admission - I’m 4 days away from achieving it , wish me luck !

OhWellThatsJustGreat · 27/12/2019 13:07

To tell people how I really feel.

This year has been a rollercoaster and everytime someone has asked how I am ice always said "I'm good"

Honeybee85 · 27/12/2019 13:09

Lose weight
Caring less about what others think
Save more money
Start living more minimalist

LadyTiredWinterBottom2 · 27/12/2019 13:11

To get a new job and to eat less meat. I am going to do dry January too. At least, l am at the moment Grin

This year l decided to buy only second hand clothes or to make them myself. I did abuy a sports bra and socks, other than that, nothing new Smile l am going to continue making careful fashion choices.

JaceLancs · 27/12/2019 14:44

Go back to swimming twice a week
Restart slimming world with a vengeance (lost 5.5 stone and have put 1 back on)
Spend more time with elderly DM
Buy less jewellery
Not do as much unpaid extra time at work

elmosducks · 27/12/2019 19:00

I love your list and mine is very similar. I am also planning on doing a full vegan (food) year. I will continue to wear woolen items in my wardrobe and leather boots but won't buy any more.

And I want to try and declutter our lives. I seem to spend a lot of time tidying and arranging before we can do anything (like have friends round) so that needs to be recitified

JeezyPeeps · 27/12/2019 19:04

I've signed up to a walking challenge (walk 1000 miles in 2020), so I guess that is mine.

Allyg1185 · 27/12/2019 19:31

Love some of these! Ok mine are:
Get in top of my credit card debt
Stop with the silly spending that all adds up
Be more physically active
Read more
Spend less time on my phone and social media
Eat better
Drink less alcohol
Drink more water
Get back into cross stitch and crochet

Sofast · 27/12/2019 19:36

To recycle more.. this was mine two years ago and I did well but I've noticed I'm slipping

To lose 1 stone

To do what I (and my daughters) want to do, I've felt like I'm often waiting around for friends or waiting for DH to decide if he can have an afternoon off but from now I'm guna be like "im doing x at x time come or dont"

NailsNeedDoing · 27/12/2019 19:41

My list is very similar to yours!

Lose the few Christmas pounds, read actual books instead of spending so much time reading rubbish, and just like you, I often find myself being sucked into gossipy, negative drama at work. We seem to collectively complain just for the sake of it sometimes. I’m going to try to avoid that, and if I can’t avoid listening to it, I’m going to try not to contribute.

Thornhill58 · 27/12/2019 19:42

I haven't made any but I'll like be more supple. Maybe try some yoga.

Blacksackunderthetreesfreeze · 27/12/2019 19:44

Spend less/ save more
Exercise / better health generally
Try to sort out sleep problems

Lifeisabeach09 · 27/12/2019 20:10

Lose 12kg, get fit, declutter and abstain from drama. Might do some online courses to exercise the brain also.

ChocolateCoins19 · 27/12/2019 20:14

Not be such a bloody stress head!
I'm. Awful for bottling things up.. Lots of little bits then get me in a foul mood. Can be as small as dh or ds doing something minor.. ( as an example only) Leaving washing around etc.. Then maybe something else. And rather than open my mouth I just sort it.. But then get annoyed because ' I've done everything' and end up going all. Guns blazing.. Where the reality is, they are small Things and I should have just said in the first place.

FlorencesHunger · 27/12/2019 20:19

I had started thinking today about what I would like to achieve in 2020. Last yrs was get into uni and save money. I had a clay money jar that you have to smash to get in, when I smashed it I found a note of what my saving goal was by the end of 2019. I had forgot about it but it did lead me to check if I had managed it and I did.Smile I became more savvy this past year and put money in investments whereas before I had no savings.

I have a new jar with a new savings goal for end of 2020.
I will try studying harder in the 2nd half Uni in 2020.
Drink less and which I already started last month.
And definitely exercise more, I have gained weight, which is nice and still well within healthy range but I would like to tone up. Also it will be good for my wellbeing as I sit around a lot studenting.

Hope you all achieve your goals.

thebearwentoverthebumble · 27/12/2019 20:19

Drink less wine and lose weight. Hopefully the two will just go hand in hand! Also to be more confident in myself and not to worry about what other people think so much.

TheSquitz · 27/12/2019 20:39

Lost the final stone. I've lost 6.5 stone since March & want to get to a healthy BMI.

Save more for my retirement fund.

TrueFriendsStabYouInTheFront · 27/12/2019 20:47

Keep going with my weight loss - 3 stone off so far and only 1lb gain over Xmas which I'm really pleased with. Another 4ish stone to go.

Curb spending and get some headway on my debt. Just before Xmas I secured a second job for 15 hours each weekend so I should be able to clear £6000 worth of debt using those wages alone. So I've started that goal already, got my induction on 6th Jan

Reading more books, definitely a common theme this year as a few pp have mentioned this one. Again I've started as I just sorted my library card before Xmas and checked a book out, plus bought 2 paperbacks from WH Smith last week

Sparklesocks · 27/12/2019 20:48

Buy our first property. We got outbid on our dream house at the end of 2019 and it would be wonderful if we could finally successfully buy somewhere we can really make a home (after years and years of renting).

Butteredtoast55 · 27/12/2019 20:53

I’m going to walk a mile a day, get to bed earlier, make healthier eating choices and try to get back into Pilates which is a real stress buster for me. Also going to volunteer in some capacity - maybe something to support the elderly and isolated as I’ve been thinking about this since last year and recent news stories have put it back on my radar.

jessyjo2 · 27/12/2019 22:46

Get a stress free job (well reasonably stress free).
Help others more.
Gossip less.
Read Bible more.
Spend more time with family.
Guess I better agree to more exercise too 🙄

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.