My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To be feeling ungrateful for my Christmas presents?

32 replies

gotitalltodo49 · 26/12/2019 08:05

This year I got a pair of pjs from DS1 - too small. A pair of slippers from DS2 - too small and bought 'heavily discounted from Amazon and would cost more to return' (his words). A palette of makeup more suitable for a 13 year old from DH (possibly non returnable). As a joke present they also got me a chain for my glasses as I keep losing them - it's the only present I can actually use!
I know it is the thought that counts but my sons are 26 and 19 and were advised on sizing by their dad. I am just so disappointed that they/he got it all so wrong and am feeling ungrateful because they genuinely thought they had done good! It isn't the cost because money is extremely tight and I don't expect expensive gifts. (I dont drink and shouldn't eat chocolates for medical reasons (pre-diabetic) so those things weren't an option for them.)
So AIBU for feeling a bit disappointed that my only useable Christmas gift was a granny chain for my specs?

OP posts:
minesagin37 · 26/12/2019 08:08

Sorry to hear that. This year my DH took our DDs (14) (20) with him to buy my present and his present buying improved 200%!

TestingTestingWonTooFree · 26/12/2019 08:08

Sounds like this is all on DH. Yanbu.

Ohyesiam · 26/12/2019 08:11

Are you able to upsize the pjs and slippers?

MockneyReject · 26/12/2019 08:14

Isn't there a Xmas present swap thread, every year? Or have I just imagined that?

DickDewy · 26/12/2019 08:15

Bollocks to ‘the thought that counts’. At their ages, your sons should have been able to get your size right.

MockneyReject · 26/12/2019 08:17

YANBU, btw. Thoughtless gifts make you feel worse than no gifts.

catwithflowers · 26/12/2019 08:20

Not unreasonable and very thoughtless of them. They are old enough to know better 😢

millstonegrit · 26/12/2019 08:22

I feel your pain, yesterday I unwrapped tweezers and nail scissors, and an umbrella. Hmm

rwalker · 26/12/2019 08:23

AT 19 and 26 you can't blame your DH next year give them a list or buy then yourself they can pay you. I do this perfect get just what i want.

diddl · 26/12/2019 08:24

That's disappointing, Op.

Did your husband give the wrong sizes?

MrsPelligrinoPetrichor · 26/12/2019 08:25

Next year write a long list and they can choose from it. That way it'll be a surprise still but it'll be something you want. They clearly need direction!

docemmett · 26/12/2019 08:25

You are not ungrateful. I second creating a list for future reference, ie I am size 4 shoe, size 14 clothes, love showers but not baths, prefer silver jewellery to gold, wear mascara but never lip gloss.

PrettyPurpleFeather · 26/12/2019 08:28

I think the Present swap thread is on the Christmas board. Trawl through the sales pages & book mark what you'd like for a New Year's gift as you got shit gifts for Christmas. Also l, make a list of what you'd like for your next birthday, wedding anniversary and mother's day & send it to the men in your life. No bloody excuse tlbut it looks like they need to be educated in gift buying.

HollysBush · 26/12/2019 08:29

Yep, unfortunately, I think specific list is the way to go. Do it early enough and you might forget what you put on it so may even be a surprise!

RhymingRabbit3 · 26/12/2019 08:32

They all sounds useless.
What did you get for them? I would be seriously scaling back next year, or sending them a list of requests which would be within their budget.
I assume that your 26yo works so buying one cheap item seems mean - at least they can be returned.

Piggywaspushed · 26/12/2019 08:34

At least they tried. My DSs have never bought me presents (or their DF)...

To be fair, Amazon sizes are shit. I bought DS an XL t shirt and it's tiny.

CecilyP · 26/12/2019 08:37

Why on earth should you feel grateful for your total non-presents? The thought would count if they had bought something they thought you'd like but was not quite your taste (which I suppose might apply to the make up). Wrong sizes implies very little thought. To make things worse, you now have the responsibility of dealing with the unusable items. Can you change the pyjamas and make up? Do you know anyone yo could re-gift the slippers to.

daisypond · 26/12/2019 08:37

We only buy cheap items in my family - token gifts only. I think it’s odd to expect proper presents. No one can know what you’d like unless you tell them. Just get yourself something you’d like.

SingaporeSlinky · 26/12/2019 08:38

I’d have probably put the pjs on in front of DS1 and said thanks for these, how do they look? And if they were clearly too small, wait for him to suggest he return them for a different size.

CecilyP · 26/12/2019 08:42

Perhaps OPs specific list was slippers, pyjamas and make up!

couchparsnip · 26/12/2019 08:43

That is a bit shit. Amazon returns don't cost to post though. All you do is print out a label and delivery note, rewrap with note inside, stick label on then take to a pick up point, mine is my local shop.

I got a crap present from my brother. I have a milk allergy. Always had it. He bought cakes for the family, none of which I can eat.

WeMarchOn · 26/12/2019 08:44

@millstonegrit i unwrapped kitchen spray, cloths and hand wash!!

CheesecakeAddict · 26/12/2019 08:46

My brother got me 4 tins of tuna. He thought it was a great gift because I make tuna salads for my work lunch 🙄. Can they exchange the Pjs and slippers?

FrancisCrawford · 26/12/2019 08:48

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Shoxfordian · 26/12/2019 08:49

Not ungrateful at all
Ask them to return them for the right sizes

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.