My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

to tell you that tax bills are going to go up next year...and it's probably a good thing

61 replies

chomalungma · 21/12/2019 10:31

Councils are allowed to add an extra 2% on top of the usual rise as long as it goes towards social care.

We need social care funding. An ageing population, more care needs - invest more in social care and it reduces the need for the NHS to get involved.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7815919/Council-tax-bills-set-rise-average-70-year-4-rise-double-inflation-rate.html

"Families were hit with a pre-Christmas bombshell last night after it emerged that average council tax bills could soar by £70 next year.

Ministers revealed they would give town halls the power to put up the levy by 2 per cent in April. On top of this, they will be able to add a further 2 per cent to pay for social care.

This combined 4 per cent increase could result in the average Band D council tax bill going up from £1,750 in 2019/20 to £1,820 next year. Those in more expensive Band H homes could see their bill rising by £140."

OP posts:
Fivemorenights · 21/12/2019 10:33

Happy to pay as long as it actually gets ring fenced for social care. I don’t believe for a minute that it will

slipperywhensparticus · 21/12/2019 10:34

So I'm paying for the care I'm providing for my family nice

Alte · 21/12/2019 11:14

Unpopular opinion, but I think this is ridiculous. Nobody in my family is benefitting from it, so why should I have to pay more? And that's before you even consider where the money's more likely to go...

chomalungma · 21/12/2019 11:19

Nobody in my family is benefitting from it, so why should I have to pay more

In a sense, they are. If more money goes into social care, then that has an impact on the NHS.

Looking after people who need care in their own homes, providing carers, funding care etc - all adds up to reducing their need to go the NHS through things such as falling at home, going untreated for illnesses that develop. Having someone at home to look after them after they return from hospital instead of having to stay in a hospital bed because they have no one at home to look after them.

All these things add up.

OP posts:
BarbedBloom · 21/12/2019 11:19

I can't afford my tax to go up much more. It went up by 6% last year and they are talking about 8% this time. I am all for paying more for social care, especially after seeing the care my nan received during her cancer battle, but I honestly don't know where the money will come from. We can't cut back anymore and due to Brexit there is a high chance of my husband losing his job. Things here have got worse since 6% increase toox people are really angry.

Andysbestadventure · 21/12/2019 11:21

If you're in a band D house you can afford £10-15 per month, ffs.

53rdWay · 21/12/2019 11:24

YANBU, social care is really really struggling.

BarbedBloom · 21/12/2019 11:30

If that was to me I am not in a band D house. I am renting a one bed flat in Wales in a not very nice area.

CactusAndCacti · 21/12/2019 11:38

Andy I bought a Band D house 17years ago for 80k, I am not sure why you think everyone in a Band D house is rolling in it.

Likethebattle · 21/12/2019 11:39

@Andysbestadventure not really true, some people are living to the exact penny on their wages.

LakieLady · 21/12/2019 11:48

We pay the sixth highest council tax in the country, so 4% on top of the £1,920 will take us to just shy of £2k for a band C property. Council tax is our biggest monthly outgoing. We can afford it, but I'm dreading how we'll manage in 6 years time when we're both retired. We're in a tiny, 2-bed semi, but could, in theory, downsize to a band A property, but that would only save us £6 a week or so.

Even people on basic benefits have to pay 20% of their council tax in this area. How the fuck is a single parent someone with a family supposed to find a tenner a week, when they're already benefit capped (almost £1k a month for "affordable" HA housing) and have around £70 a week to live on after bills?

Adult social care is a car crash. It needs loads of extra funding and probably some reorganisation (I think there might be merit in merging it with health, tbh, there seems to be a lot of duplication). But sticking the cost all on the council tax, so that even people who barely earn enough to pay income tax are coughing up for it, is really wrong.

All of this is on top of the reduction in the funding central government gives local government, so loads of other costs are being shifted from general taxation to council tax. It's entirely wrong that the very poorest in society have to pay this.

I hope the Tory voters are happy with this.

HermioneWeasley · 21/12/2019 11:50

If it is ring fenced for social care I’m ok with that

If it ends up funding more drag queen story times at libraries, I’m not.

NatashaAlianovaRomanova · 21/12/2019 11:53

@Andysbestadventure I'm in a band C social housing 2-bed flat - the 5-bed town houses in my estate are a band E - not everyone in a high council tax band property is earning a decent wage & can manage to absorb an increase easily!

My pay rise last April actually made me £50 a month worse of after taking into account my rent & CT increase & my decrease in tax credits - I'm sure those in the 5-bed properties on my estate will be in a similar position.

Blankscreen · 21/12/2019 11:57

This will go down like a lead balloon with most people as it won't just be the 'rich' people earning £80k that will be affected.

But tbh I would think that most people.can afford a £6 a month increase.

Marriedtoapenguin · 21/12/2019 11:57

As previous posters have said, if it's ring fenced then fine but councils are not exactly known for being careful with other peoples money.

Velveteenfruitbowl · 21/12/2019 11:57

Social care is one of the few government expenditures that only provides benefit to individuals that I don’t resent paying for. Happy to pay the extra.

patchworkelephant123 · 21/12/2019 11:57

I understand they need the funding but this rise will literally break me, there's nothing left in our budget anyway. Why can't it be means tested?

chomalungma · 21/12/2019 12:00

Councils bills will have to go up as the minimum wage increases will hit their bills.

Councils fund social care through a lot of external care agencies whose costs will increase.

So it needs funding somehow. We are all getting older.

OP posts:
LakieLady · 21/12/2019 12:04

If you're in a band D house you can afford £10-15 per month, ffs.

Bollocks can you. If you're in a band D house in Sussex, you're very likely to be hard up because your mortgage or rent will be massive.

My friend's house is band D, it's a tiny 2-bed cottage in the town centre that you can barely swing a cat in, bought for £45k in 1994. She's on carer's allowance and a tiny pension, and can't move because anywhere cheaper in town is hilly and she has COPD, and anywhere out of town won't be near enough for her to care for her mother.

I suppose when her mother dies, she'll be able to move out of the town she's lived in for all her 61 years, to somewhere where she knows no-one and will have no support network, but I suppose that will be fair in your eyes.

LakieLady · 21/12/2019 12:13

Why can't it be means tested?

It is means-tested, @patchworkelephant123. People needing adult social care are often self-funding, if they have good pensions etc, and will have to sell their houses and use the money to cover the costs until they have only £23k left. If they get attendance allowance, that will go directly towards the costs too.

Old people are, basically, outliving their money and many of them didn't have any money in the first place. My parents both died before they needed social care, but they lived in a council house and had £27k in savings. At a £1k a week, which is what it can easily cost for dementia care, that would barely have covered 6 months for one of them.

ColleysMill · 21/12/2019 12:25

Its not just the needs of older people that are changing its also the needs of our younger people/children too.

As we have started to improve the health outcomes for some of the most vulnerable and complex children (quite rightly) their life expectancy increases but many will need support and care either whilst they are still at home or when they are at a point when they transition into adult services as young adults.

You only have to read threads on here to see that support for families who have children with complex needs is difficult to secure

midnightmisssuki · 21/12/2019 12:33

If its for social care - I don’t mind.

LellyMcKelly · 21/12/2019 12:33

Of course tax is going to rise. A lot of mad promises were made at the election and if the government is to have any hope or intention of fulfilling even a tenth of them there are going to have to be significant hikes.

LakieLady · 21/12/2019 12:37

@ColleysMill, you're right services for children and young people are struggling too, but so are all local government services: housing cracking under the strain of the new homelessness legislation (more onerous, but introduced with no extra funding), potholed roads and pavements, impossible to speak to a planner or an EHO, libraries closed or with hours drastically reduced and so on.

Our district council has merged with another one and "gone all call centre". You listen to music and recorded announcements for 15 minutes minimum and then speak to some "spotty teenager" who can't deal with any query more complex than what day are the bin men coming and says they'll email the relevant department who will get back to you. Two weeks later, you won't have heard anything, so ring again and repeat the process until you lose the will to live.

We think we might have rats, and the earliest the pest control man can come round is Feb 12th. And this was a couple of weeks ago.

Sargass0 · 21/12/2019 12:38

This has been happening for a few years- its not new.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.