Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Extravagant presents from ex to DC teachers

9 replies

SympatheticSwan · 19/12/2019 09:52

Hello all,

Just learned that my ex (who has little contact with the children - voluntarily, as he is very busy with the career, new family etc) made quite an expensive Christmas present to the DC's class teacher (for comparison, it is higher in value than the usual class gift everyone contributed to - or more than a year's worth of his child maintenance contributions). I was quite surprised that he knew the class and the teacher's name!

I obviously don't begrudge the teacher, but please tell me I am BU to feel weird and upset about it. He has a form for impulsive behaviour and showing off, so I don't even know why I feel so deflated.

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

23 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
9%
You are NOT being unreasonable
91%
QuestionableMushroom · 19/12/2019 09:54

Don’t be deflated.
Knobheads make up for their lack of character like this I think. It’s all very ‘look at me.’

purpleme12 · 19/12/2019 09:56

Wow more than a year's maintenance?! Why would you do that?!

SympatheticSwan · 19/12/2019 09:58

@purpleme12
I mean, the maintenance is only notional as he draws most of his income as dividends from his ltd company.

OP posts:
WireBrushAndDettolMaam · 19/12/2019 09:59

WOW! How transparent! Grin

Don’t worry- your childs teacher will see this for exactly what it is- a grand gesture to big up his own ego. The teacher will know how uninvolved he is usually.

IggyAce · 19/12/2019 09:59

I’d be surprised with the teacher was able to accept. My friend had to check with her head that it was ok to accept a voucher for afternoon tea for two at a local posh hotel (approx £50.)

OoohTheStatsDontLie · 19/12/2019 10:23

That's shit. He spends more on his kids teacher than his kid. And it's just generally a bit awkward giving a gift that is much higher value than expected.

Trinighana · 19/12/2019 10:25

I would let her know how much maintenance he pays

SympatheticSwan · 19/12/2019 10:28

I’d be surprised with the teacher was able to accept
That's how I know, the school assumed it is from our family and asked to think again (they only have my contact details).

OP posts:
twoshedsjackson · 19/12/2019 10:31

I agree with IggyAce; the protocol was to declare anything £50 or over; usually this was just the "whole class" present.
And WireBrushAndDettolMaam is also quite right; teacher will be well aware of who is actually doing the unglamorous but vital daily grind of raising your child and supporting their education!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.