Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Going to work with a cold

56 replies

cheninblanc · 17/12/2019 19:44

So I have a cold, started this afternoon. Normally I'd shrug my shoulders and get into work no questions (nhs admin community setting if relevant) but it's a week before Xmas and I do have the ability to work from home and complete all tasks apart from a meeting late afternoon that I should be there for. Real dilemma. I have a clear sick record and never normally let bugs stop me but I'm so conscious others could catch it - but equally they could in a shop etc. What would others do in genuinely torn on it

OP posts:
ColaFreezePop · 17/12/2019 19:48

If I never went to work with a cold I would never work.

HappyHammy · 17/12/2019 19:49

In the NHS setting no I wouldnt go in.

19lottie82 · 17/12/2019 19:49

It’s not ideal, but what would happen if everyone called in sick when they had a cold?

FrangipaniBlue · 17/12/2019 19:50

I've been poorly since the week f so I'm working from home this week and joining meetings by telecall.

I'm not too sick to work but I don't feel great and I'm very conscious that I could infect others.

I wouldn't phone in dick but if you can WFH and telecall the meeting then do that.

cheninblanc · 17/12/2019 19:50

Me too normally.. I'll get over my cold by Friday but feel so guilty that someone else might catch it! I'm happy to go in btw, I really need to be at a meeting and am not great at home, I like the office and colleagues

OP posts:
FrangipaniBlue · 17/12/2019 19:50

Sick!!! Lol

custardbear · 17/12/2019 19:50

Yes you should go to work if it's a bog standard cold - flu, high temperature, D&V no, a cold or cough yes

cheninblanc · 17/12/2019 19:51

Normally wouldn't be so conscious either but with Xmas week coming up in likely overthinking it with my fuzzy head lol

OP posts:
morriseysquif · 17/12/2019 19:56

Depends- I went to work with a cold one year, (NHS too!) sat in cold conference room all day, couldn't shake it, ill all over xmas and new year! Work from home if you can.

mildlymiffed · 17/12/2019 20:01

If you can wfh, then I think you should. If I was sitting next to you, i wouldn't thank you if I came down with it!

RhymingRabbit3 · 17/12/2019 20:03

Can you work from home and just go in for the meeting if it's really necessary?

MrsTerryPratchett · 17/12/2019 20:05

Calling in sick and working from home are two different things. Sometimes employers appear to be unaware that they are.

If you're working from home, what's the issue?

Gottalovesummer · 17/12/2019 20:08

Self employed here and just aghast at the thought of you missing work because of a cold. If you didn't get sick pay then I can guarantee you wouldn't dtdw consider this.

Even the the schools are sending out emails to say they expect pupils in with colds/sore throats/high temps. It's to prepare them for the world of work. Hmm. Germs are everywhere. Just practice good hygiene at work and go home and have an early night.

FloppyBiffAndChip · 17/12/2019 20:10

Depends on the cold! I have all kinds of colds ranging from barely there, to full on sweats, temperature, sore throat, the works! If it's mild, go in, if it's a full on nightmare, stay at home in bed with some lemsip! If you've never been off before, they won't care!

Doobigetta · 17/12/2019 20:11

I had a colleague a couple of years ago who came into work with a horrendous cold the week before Christmas, and thought she was hilarious making jokes about how we’d all catch it. Over the Christmas holidays I was supposed to be seeing a pregnant sister in law, a brother with a life-limiting illness that compromised his immune system, and a 94 year old granny. I caught the cold. I stayed at home and didn’t see anyone because I’m not a selfish bitch. Never really liked the colleague after that.

cheninblanc · 17/12/2019 20:13

Gottalovesummer as I said before I've no sick at all aside from a hysterectomy in three years. I always go in with a cold, but so close to Christmas I wandered what people's views were. I will be working from home but may miss a meeting and my own conscience is torn between missing it or sharing my germs. It seems mixed but more to going in which is fine, I'd rather go in but hate the thought others were cross I was sharing my cold

OP posts:
cheninblanc · 17/12/2019 20:15

Doobigetta - you've reminded me of a colleague that works Thursday who I need to potentially avoid, but I could work at another office that day. I'm sorry your Christmas was ruined - that's what I'm trying to avoid

OP posts:
Ffsnosexallowed · 17/12/2019 20:16

I'm NHS and have just come down with a stinking cold too. I'm off tomorrow and then only 2 days to get tidied up before I'm off for a fortnight. Fingers crossed I feel better by Thursday. I'll go in, make sure I wash hands regularly, not sneeze on anyone and get through it. Someone at work gave it to me. Can't stay off with just Cold.

cheninblanc · 17/12/2019 20:17

Two weeks off would be lovely, I'm in all over the holidays with a couple of half days. Hope you feel better and enjoy your time off

OP posts:
Vulpine · 17/12/2019 20:20

If you're paid to work and you're well enough to work then I'd go in

Passthecake30 · 17/12/2019 20:24

Loads of my office are suffering at the moment. Our policy is if you're sick, be off sick. If working at home will help you manage your cold a bit better, keep the germs away, and you're fit enough to work, then you're welcome to do a bit more of that. What is your usual working at home policy, and can you do a bit more of that?

FloppyBiffAndChip · 17/12/2019 20:39

Just to add - a bit at my son's swim lesson came to practice yesterday looking white, coughing, holding his stomach. Today my son had to go home early has he developed a temperature at school. Thanks little swimming boy for passing on your bugs ...

MrsTerryPratchett · 17/12/2019 20:41

Even the the schools are sending out emails to say they expect pupils in with colds/sore throats/high temps.

Really? A high temperature? I'm calling bullshit on that. A high temperature is a day at home for DD.

ohwheniknow · 17/12/2019 20:43

I was supposed to be seeing a pregnant sister in law, a brother with a life-limiting illness that compromised his immune system, and a 94 year old granny

And this is why I hate the "it's just a cold, who cares if I pass it on" brigade.

If you can work from home, do.

Gottalovesummer · 17/12/2019 20:51

mrsTerrypratchett I don't post bullshit

Going to work with a cold
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.