Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To complain about post office

8 replies

SpikyButt · 17/12/2019 16:17

There was a robbery at my local post office several months ago, and after being closed for a couple of months it’s now under new management but with some of the original staff.

The way they deal with parcels being sent has changed.
You place the parcel on the scales as usual, but now, instead of passing the parcel through the window/hatch to the worker, we have to hold it up against the glass so that they can input the address, then they pass the postage sticker to the customer through the small slot in the counter – used for passing cash or letters, and we have to stick it on the box ourselves and then we’re told to dump our parcels on the floor – in full view and access of everyone and anyone in the shop.
Surely this can’t be right? Having to fiddle with the stickers ourselves is annoying enough but I’m not happy about my parcels being left for anyone to steal/trip over/break. Would I be unreasonable to report this and expect it to be put to a stop?
I understand it probably makes collection easier and maybe it’s a new security measure after the robbery but it just seems like a stupid way of doing things.
I don’t want to cause the PO problems, and after the robbery and closure it was a big inconvenience to have to go elsewhere, but I think this is just asking for problems... or am I being petty?

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

26 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
54%
You are NOT being unreasonable
46%
spingly · 17/12/2019 16:30

It's not stupid because you don't like it! Yes you're being petty if a parcel of yours is taken, then you can complain, until then either go the other post office where you don't have to deal with labels or put up with it.

Have you ever been involved in a robbery? Do you blame them for try to ensure that staff aren't a target and don't get hurt?

JigsawsAreInPieces · 17/12/2019 16:34

The post office here you put all post in their sack which is on the customer side of the counter. I've never had anything go missing tbh and I've been using that PO for 4 years now!

SpikyButt · 17/12/2019 16:36

Surely they should have a separate area for parcels then? They're literally just dumped on the floor in the middle of the queues for people to trip over.

Of all the post offices I've used they've always taken the parcels immediately after weighing so thought this was odd practice.

But fair enough!

OP posts:
FiveGoMadInDorset · 17/12/2019 16:36

What happens if you pay for drop and go?

GoldenRuby · 17/12/2019 16:37

You should definitely complain - this is a breach of their rules on the security of the post. (I know someone who works for HQ and has previously explained after I raised a similar issue about my local one that they will visit branches and make sure they don't leave to parcels where anyone can get to them).

SpikyButt · 17/12/2019 16:41

@FiveGoMadInDorset Drop and Go isn't available at my local PO apparently, or at least wasn't when I enquired a while go, but with the way things are I'm not sure it's a good idea as I wouldn't have proof that I'd actually dropped them off if they did go missing?

OP posts:
mathanxiety · 17/12/2019 20:20

That sounds more than ridiculous.

They are a trip hazard at the very least, lying in a heap on the floor.

They could get wet or stepped on or stolen, or interfered with. Or if wet, the postage sticker could come off or the address could become blurry.

Could they not provide a rolling cart on casters over in a corner?

Definitely complain.

ForalltheSaints · 17/12/2019 20:37

You should complain. For their own protection, as the Post Office is prepared to shaft their own staff, as the recent settled court case as demonstrated.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.