My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

AIBU wanting to charge Christmas presents so they are ready to use on Christmas day?

63 replies

2ddandabump · 15/12/2019 19:37

I'm interested to know other people's take on this. I have 2 DDs from a previous relationship, 11 and 8, I am also expecting my 3rd (his first) with my new partner.

We've bought the girls some bluetooth in the ear headphones for Christmas (Like Airpods but without the price tag)

We were going to give them as a present from us rather than Santa (youngest still believes) I suggested we take them out of the box to charge them up first so they are ready to use on Christmas day, thinking there would be no objection to this idea. However, he thinks that kids, especially the ages of my girls, should have to know that these things take time to charge and that it's just how it is and they should wait.

I asked if he'd feel the same about a toddler who opened something electronic, like a remote control car, but who wouldn't able to use it if we didn't charge it before hand. He said he still feels the same about that.

His opinion has surprised me and made me sad more than than anything, like he's killing the spirit of fun on Christmas day, and is just being a bit of a misery. We've fallen out over it, because whilst everyone is entitled to their opinion, I think he's been a bit mean.

Does anyone else charge electronic presents before hand? Am I been soft on my girls? Or is he been mean?

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

157 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
23%
You are NOT being unreasonable
77%
yellowellies · 15/12/2019 19:40

I would charge things up, I’ve opened and undone all the extra packaging on kids toys before, then put them back in the box to wrap

RedandYellowSunrise · 15/12/2019 19:42

We always get things out, make sure they work and charge them up. Christmas is not the time for learning to wait

AppleKatie · 15/12/2019 19:42

I would do the same as you. Making whatever the present is as accessible as possible to play with straight away is part of the fun.

Queenhoneybee · 15/12/2019 19:43

I'd charge up. I made the mistake one year of not checking what needed batteries so toys couldn't be used until after Christmas Day when the local shop opened on Boxing Day. A real shame & now I always check/charge.

Blacksackunderthetreesfreeze · 15/12/2019 19:44

Yanbu. He’s being weird especially as , I take it, you’re going to be doing it not him. I agree Christmas isn’t the time for learning life lessons unless unavoidable.

Shelby2010 · 15/12/2019 19:46

Yep. I would charge them. But then I used to spend Christmas Eve building the Playmobil castles etc when the kids were too small to do it themselves.

Tothemoonandbackx · 15/12/2019 19:47

That's very mean spirited of him, do they really need to learn this 'lesson' on Christmas day, there will be other days they will need charging, honestly, he needs to get a grip, you're not telling me he was never disappointed he couldn't use/play with a toy on Christmas when it wasn't charged or had batteries in them Xx that was the worst part of Christmas morning, nothing ever came with batteries already in the toys and you know what it's like, if you didn't have them, you'd have to wait till you did, so you couldn't play with your new toys properly. I'd be so tempted to get him something that needed charging and then make him wait Xxxx if I were you, I'd just charge them up and put them back in. They'll be excited and want to try them out straight away and making them wait is really mean 😑 Xx

EveryFlightBeginsWithAFall · 15/12/2019 19:47

I always charge things. I'll be putting the 6 &8 Year olds scooters and football table up Xmas eve too

pongopig · 15/12/2019 19:47

It’s not as if they won’t learn how long these things need charging once they own them.

BestZebbie · 15/12/2019 19:47

I think part of the fun of getting an expensive brand new toy or piece of tech for Christmas is taking it out if the perfect untouched packaging, so I don't think you should precharge. If someone has already opened it and fiddled about and turned it on then it seems less new and personal.

AllYouGoodGoodPeople · 15/12/2019 19:49

I would charge them. I've also - after a couple of bad years - snipped all the cable ties and unscrewed the battery cover and put in the correct batteries on toys.

ODFOx · 15/12/2019 19:50

I always buy in advance so open, charge and check it works so it can be exchanged if necessary.
Then repack for wrapping( but without the wire ties for toys so they can get them out to try.)

Tothemoonandbackx · 15/12/2019 19:50

@Shelby2010 oh god, me and my sister got the Playmobil Victorian doll house one Christmas and it took my mum, dad, uncles, grandma, grandad and Godfather till after the new year to get it built up Grin waiting to play with it was an eeeeeternity!!! It's still built up now 20+years later , no one wanted to dismantle it 😂 Xx

chuttypicks · 15/12/2019 19:55

Your dp is a killjoy. Good luck spending your life with him. What a miser.

22Giraffes · 15/12/2019 19:57

I'm going against the grain here but no I wouldn't pre charge them. This isn't for the same reason as your dp though! It's purely because as the receiver I hate the idea of not being first to open the box Blush so I wouldn't do it to anyone else when I'm the giver. I also won't pre assemble toys because then the toy won't be "new" anymore.

Dp feels just like you but has learnt to humour me although occasionally will pretend that he's opened something meant for me Angry I know it makes no sense!!

22Giraffes · 15/12/2019 19:59

@BestZebbie you summed exactly what I was trying to say, in a much more succinct way!

DukeChatsworth · 15/12/2019 20:03

He’s a bit of a Grinch isn’t he?

Christmas morning is not the tome to teach the moral high ground.

Teen DD here getting a new phone. I’ll steal her old one on Xmas Eve and set her new one up so it’s all ready for her upon opening

SD1978 · 15/12/2019 20:03

He's being a dick. I will be charging and inserting batteries in everything that needs it. His rationale is shit and makes no sense. Charge them- it has nothing to do with him.

WarmSausageTea · 15/12/2019 20:04

I’m with BestZebbie and 22Giraffes, but if the girls won’t be fussed by the boxes having been opened, it probably makes sense to pre-charge.

Rockbird · 15/12/2019 20:06

I did briefly consider this with DD1's AirPods but I know the feeling of unwrapping a beautiful new white Apple box, it's part of the experience Xmas Wink. Also, AirPods come with a decent amount of charge.

YouFellAsleeep · 15/12/2019 20:09

I did when my son was around those ages. Not now at 14 as he likes to open brand new gadgets himself! But a few years ago when he was about 11 he got an iPad for Christmas and I charged it up and put on some apps and set a wallpaper he would like and he loved it. He was so excited it was ready to use.

Elbeagle · 15/12/2019 20:10

As charging something isn’t particularly difficult or onerous, surely he’s refusing purely for the purposes of making a point? In which case he is being unreasonable.

georgialondon · 15/12/2019 20:11

Mine aren't that old yet, but I always remove tricky packaging and put batteries in so the gifts are ready to use. It's easier for me and for them. For me it's a no brainer.

Rachelfromfriends1 · 15/12/2019 20:13

You both have good points but I’m baffled that you managed to fall out over a difference of opinion over this!

wanderings · 15/12/2019 20:15

It used to be that if you forgot batteries before Christmas Day, no shops would be open for several days!

But to answer the OP, I think it depends on the age and temperament of the children. Some children’s gadgets need parental help setting up anyway: have the batteries ready, not put in. If the children would value “pristine and unopened”, then don’t charge them in advance. If you’re worried about disappointment, gently warn them that they won’t be able to use it straight away, perhaps just before they unwrap.

But I do remember the childhood frustration of getting a big present, and not being able to play with it at once. My first lego set was a huge model station, from my grandparents, but my dad very firmly told me that we were not getting it out until we were back home the following day, because of the time to build it, and not being able to transport it whole.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.