Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Cervical Screening

9 replies

Tennis82 · 15/12/2019 13:56

I know it's a busy time of year with lots on your mind, but if you've received a letter reminding you that you're due for your cervical screening please please don't ignore it. I know a lot of women don't attend because of the embarrassment factor, or that they think it will hurt. it is only a couple of minutes maximum and although it might be uncomfortable, it shouldn't be a painful test. That couple of minutes can potentially save your life.

My grandmother died of cervical cancer and it was heartbreaking to see her suffer a slow, painful, drawn out death.

So please, take some "you time" and book an appointment ASAP.

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

13 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
31%
You are NOT being unreasonable
69%
koshkat · 15/12/2019 13:58

I am so very sorry about your grandmother. Flowers

Your message is so important.

HoHoHoik · 15/12/2019 14:04

You're allowed to take someone with you if you're nervous about going alone. Friend of mine was sexually assaulted many years ago and these sorts of appointments are difficult for her, she takes her DH with her and he sits at her head and chats with her to help her feel calm.

My GP doesn't have sheets or towels now so you get a swatch of blue roll to cover yourself with, the nurse told me it puts lots of women off as no one wants to feel exposed. I wore a dress and leggings to my last one and the dress covered everything I wanted to keep covered, the nurse just reached under it, was far more dignified than clutching a piece of blue paper.

gamerchick · 15/12/2019 14:04

Our surgery rings you up and asks when you're free for the smear. It's quite efficient Grin

Sorry about your grandmother Flowers

FaithInfinity · 15/12/2019 14:05

My friend from uni died from it in her mid 20s. Such a lovely lady. I wholeheartedly support your message. I would add if you have issues, please ask your GP about adjustments. They should be able to help.

MumW · 15/12/2019 14:08

If you worried a out the discomfort, take some paracetamol and/or ibuprofen about an hour before your appointment.

MatildaTheCat · 15/12/2019 14:08

For older readers can I add the importance of attending your mammogram appointments? Again, nobody enjoys this particularly but a large number of appointments are not attended.

Nobody should die from embarrassment or minor inconvenience.

koshkat · 15/12/2019 14:10

And if you are concerned then make sure you request a female health professional. They have been there and they understand.

SachaStark · 15/12/2019 14:16

I absolutely agree with the importance of getting screened, OP. Thank you for reminding us.

However, I would respectfully ask you to please not speak for those of us who suffer from vaginismus/extreme vaginal pain to say that it “shouldn’t be a painful test”. For us, it can be excruciatingly painful, and takes a lot of courage to go through. I put myself through the pain because it is, of course, worth it, to be screened. Well done to those who are similar to me, and are also able to face the pain to get checked.

ohwheniknow · 15/12/2019 14:18

You missed trauma.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.