Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To not send da to school

19 replies

screamer1 · 13/12/2019 08:23

He's been put on antibiotics and has been off all week. He seems ok now, back to himself really, but moaning about going to school. No temp anymore but still pale. He's bouncing all over the place so it's really hard to tell if he's just pulling a fast one. He's in reception

OP posts:
coconuttelegraph · 13/12/2019 08:29

I would but I'm sure most people will say let him have the day off, in my house if there's no reason to stay off you go to school.

CaptainMyCaptain · 13/12/2019 08:34

If he's bouncing around send him in but quietly (i.e. out of his hearing) ask them to phone if he suddenly droops, say, after lunch.

Toomuchtrouble4me · 13/12/2019 08:35

If you want him home have him home, if you want him at school then send him - he’s clearly well enough. But it’s reception and he’s been poorly - nobody at school will blink if you do or don’t.

screamer1 · 13/12/2019 08:36

I want him at home but I don't want him to think I'll cry and then not go to school

OP posts:
BooksAreMyOnlyFriends · 13/12/2019 08:37

Yes send him in so he can see his friends and bounce around the playground

Pinkblueberry · 13/12/2019 08:45

If he’s well enough to be in school, send him to school.

screamer1 · 13/12/2019 08:51

Ok thanks all just wanted to canvass opinion. First time deadline with the school thing. He was only in Nursery part time before and I'd always just keep him off if he felt slightly unwell. So hard to judge this, he's inclined to moan about not wanting to go in especially because his little sister isn't st school yet. But he wasn't well early in the week.

OP posts:
screamer1 · 13/12/2019 08:51

*dealing with

OP posts:
bruffin · 13/12/2019 08:53

He's bouncing all over the place so it's really hard to tell if he's just pulling a fast one.
That doesn't mean he his better. Antibiotics made ds hyperactive. He had pneumonia when he was 13 and after a couple of days was bouncing off the walls, however one he finished the ABs he was still unwell for another 6 weeks.
It was the same when he had ABs when he was younger.

KatherineJaneway · 13/12/2019 08:53

He should go to school

Mrsjayy · 13/12/2019 08:57

Send him back Monday fresh new week and all that they don't have to be face down on their beds to be recovering .

Dillydallyalltheway · 13/12/2019 09:16

Send him in he will probAbly missing fun Christmas activities. Ask the teachers to keep an eye on him. Good luck

LolaSmiles · 13/12/2019 09:21

If he's better then send him in.

If you think he's not better (but don't want to send the message of cry and stay off) then I would keep him off but being off being means being off ill so not running around, getting the toys out, not hours of telly/tablet time (choose as appropriate so it's clear that it's not a duvet day to do fun things).

ShinyGiratina · 13/12/2019 09:50

I'd send him in, but be avaliable for an early pick-up if required and his energy doesn't hold. Especially with it being a Friday.

I had one off yesterday. Sent him in, especially with it being his nativity. He wasn't on great form but still in the zone where being busy and distracted could be better than moping. By the end of the performance he was spent so came home with me and had a quiet day and has enough energy to go back in today.

It's normally a glazed look in the eyes that does it for me.

screamer1 · 13/12/2019 09:53

I've actually kept him off. His temp was37.7 when I took it before we were about to leave so not crazy high but enough to make me think he could do with another day off.

OP posts:
Wolfiefan · 13/12/2019 09:53

You don’t want him to think you’ll cry?
That’s a really odd thing to say. Either your child is well enough and you’re happy for them to go in or they’re not and you keep them home. Why would you cry?

screamer1 · 13/12/2019 09:54

Sorry typing on my phone! I don't want him to think he can cry and then not go in!

OP posts:
Wolfiefan · 13/12/2019 09:56

Haha. That makes more sense! Did that happen at nursery? He moaned about going in and you let him stay home?

screamer1 · 13/12/2019 09:59

No not at all we'd always take him in even if he'd moan but I was more inclined to keep him off if he was under the weather (which wasn't loads). It's just there was more flexibility to do that.

I think the problem today is that essentially he's on the mend, but at the tail end of being ill. His little sister is at home and he's borderline being ok to go to go to school so a harder call on what to do.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.