or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Am I drinking too much?

10 replies

infacareinfant · 12/12/2019 13:21

Not to drip feed, I will make it short as I can. Husband left me
Suddenly
For another woman. I'm reeling. We have three children. I love my weekend wine normally.I would average a bottle per week. Now I find to give me a boost or
Perhaps numb the pain and humiliation is , I can drink a bottle every second night. Is this the reason and is it
Problematic in your opinion? Thanks.

OP posts:
WhatchaMean · 12/12/2019 13:26

I'm so sorry to hear you are going through this awful time. Well the thing about alcohol consumption turning into alcoholism is to think about why you're having it. If it's a crutch to help you through the grief, loneliness and sadness, it could start increasing more and more. It does sound like quite a lot already, and that's not in anyway judging you as it's completely understandable. It's just that it might be difficult to stop

partyhatsoff · 12/12/2019 13:29

If you're questioning it then the answer is probably yes you are. For me a bottle every other day would leave me feeling a bit tired and run down and I would want to moderate.

dottiedodah · 12/12/2019 13:52

I think you know yourself that this is a slippery slope really.I think many people would need a crutch to help them through a difficult time as well.Can you seek some help ?maybe just chat to your GP as he may be able to suggest support groups for you .You have been through a lot and are sensible in that you can catch your drinking early and nip it in the bud!

Linguaphile · 12/12/2019 14:12

I’m so sorry for your situation OP. That sounds absolutely dreadful, especially around Christmas.

Objectively, a bottle every other night is definitely over the recommended weekly units, which is unhealthy on its own and will probably not leave you feeling great in the daytime. The bigger danger I think, though, would be accidentally slipping into alcoholism if you begin to use it regularly as a coping mechanism. I think a healthier way to handle the stress and grief would be to visit the GP for a mental health referral. It would be good to have someone you can talk to about what’s happened and maybe get proper medication from them if you find you are slipping into depression from it or if you are having significant anxiety.

I’m so sorry you’re going through this. 😢

EnglishRain · 12/12/2019 14:17

It sounds like you're having an awful time OP, I'm so sorry.

It's a 'how long is a piece of string?' Question really isn't it. My dad was an alcoholic and could sink a bottle of wine a night no problem. You tolerate it better the more you drink it, and I agree with PP who say it's a slippery slope. I don't really like the taste of alcohol, and wine in particular makes me really ill! But a bottle a week doesn't sound too much to me. Do you think you can get back down to that over a little time, from the bottle every other day?

Whilst I'm not really a drinker I am an eater. I have a healthy BMI but have to be careful, I can easily devour a chocolate trifle in front of the TV after a shit day at work.

infacareinfant · 12/12/2019 14:32

Thanks. You've all
Told me what I needed to hear. I will nip it in the bud. It's too easy to lose myself for a few hours through alcohol
. It's like I can't bear the pain and need something to look
Forward to. Escape .

OP posts:
Beautiful3 · 12/12/2019 14:53

I'm so sorry to hear this op. I would stop with the alcohol before you end up relying on it. I wish you all the very best.

BloodyCats · 12/12/2019 14:58

Does sound to be bordering on unhealthy, I say that as someone who drank the same amount.
You’ll be amazed how much more energy you have when you cut it back.

Sorry you are going through a shit time Sad

cantfindname · 12/12/2019 15:19

I did the same OP, when my first marriage broke up. It helped me forget and it helped me sleep. However I was barely functioning in the day.

I actually completely stopped drinking as I had scared myself so much and in the last 30 years I doubt if I have managed a bottle of wine in total.

Take care OP, it's never easy Flowers

Minky35 · 12/12/2019 15:38

Could you try and cut it back to the single bottle a week? It would be too easy to slip into the habit of one each night from one every other day Flowers

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.