My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Depressed Teen - Do I bring all that in the open?

6 replies

CanIHaveADrink · 10/12/2019 09:09

This is more of a WWYD than AIBU.

I am getting the feeling that dc1 is depressed. He never smiles anymore, spends all his time in his bedroom, doesnt interact with us much anymore. Very few friends. Looks like he cant stand his dbro (But I am struggling to see why nowdays - what dc1 is coming up just doesnt goes with dc2 behaviour iyswim). dc1 is still physically active and involved in his sport but even that is often meet with little enthusiasm (even thugh he is still very keen to go). Most of his time otherwise is spent in front of a screen.

I want to talk to him and tell him I am getting worried about him. And try and find out what is going on, what sort of help he might need etc... I have tried in the past asking him if he needs anything, if he can do anything for him and it all went flop.
Would you go a bit more heavy handed to understand what is going on?

dc1 is 16yo and doing his GCSE atm if that makes any change.

OP posts:
Babyroobs · 10/12/2019 09:12

My 16year old Ds3 is very similar. I ask him outright if he feels depressed and he says he is fine. he rarely interacts with his older brothers and only occasionally with his younger sister who he is closest to.

CanIHaveADrink · 10/12/2019 09:39

Yes I am aware some of it just being a teenager. \Im not the only one who has noticed though. Grand parents have notived the change too and how closed off dc1 is.
I just dont think he is happy tbh :(

OP posts:
Treaclepie19 · 10/12/2019 09:44

Could you just try and approach the subject and find out if he is happy?
I might've seemed depressed to my mom at 16 but I wasn't. Just wanted to do my own thing.

CanIHaveADrink · 10/12/2019 09:47

As a 16yo, I would never have said I was depressed. I dont think I understood what it meant.
When I look back, I am pretty sure I was...

OP posts:
FishCanFly · 10/12/2019 10:31

As a 16yo, I would never have said I was depressed. I dont think I understood what it meant.
When I look back, I am pretty sure I was...

^^ This.
Myself at that age i just hated everything and everyone. I hated school, I hated home, i only wished i could get away from everyone and everything, and that wasn't an option.
However, there MUST be something that excites him. Take it from there. Even if its not anything "productive".

CanIHaveADrink · 10/12/2019 17:47

Yes I have thougt about that already but I cant say my efforts have been very successful....
Everything seem to be meh.... atm

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.