Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To want TWINKLING lights not BLINKING lights

86 replies

HopelessLayout · 09/12/2019 13:45

After falling for yet another completely misleading product description, I am now in possession of my fifth string of awful blinking and flashing fairy lights!

I want the type I used to see everywhere at Christmastime in the 1990s, where the bulbs would very slowly wink on and off in completely random order, almost like fireflies.

Does anyone else remember these or am I going mad? And if the former, can you tell me where to purchase these, please?

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

97 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
6%
You are NOT being unreasonable
94%
Mumdiva99 · 09/12/2019 13:47

Don't you have a small button on your lights to change the pattern? I can cycle through 8 different types of on off patterns from steady on, to blinking, to randon, to fade etc etc

Ponoka7 · 09/12/2019 13:48

You want lights that have a 'slow fade' option.

HopelessLayout · 09/12/2019 13:55

Yes, I have the ones with eight patterns. On "slow fade" settings all the lights, or half of them, fade on and off in unison. There's no winking and no randomness about it.

OP posts:
JMoore · 09/12/2019 14:00

I bought some Christmas lights a while back that have several 'blink' options. Most of them give me a migraine or scare the dog (and one is like the SOS signal), but one has most of the lights on, then random ones go out and come on again. Maybe you can find some in a shop where you can try some out?

GrannyBags · 09/12/2019 14:02

My husband bought exactly the lights you are describing this weekend. I’ll see if we kept the box

Ninkanink · 09/12/2019 14:03

Yes! I’ve been looking for those for years.

StinkyDora · 09/12/2019 14:05

Totally agree! We used to have lovely twinkling tree lights, bought many years ago from John Lewis but I've never found a good replacement.

GrannyBags · 09/12/2019 14:06

Yes - they are called Firefly lights and made by a company called Festive.
600 are £39 on Amazon although ours came from a local garden centre.

HopelessLayout · 09/12/2019 14:07

@GrannyBags Hoping you kept the box! Any chance you post a quick video of the lights in action?

OP posts:
TwoleftUggs · 09/12/2019 14:07

I would love to know where they are too. All lights I’ve bought in the last few years that say they twinkle actually don’t, they flash in an organised sequence and I hate them.

HopelessLayout · 09/12/2019 14:13

@GrannyBags, thanks—I've found a video on YouTube. They are very nice and much better than most, but not the same effect I was thinking of. Here's the link in case anyone else is interested.

With these ones the lights go on and off quite quickly, rather than having a slow 'winking' effect.
OP posts:
alittlequinnie · 09/12/2019 14:14

I thought that was called "slo glow" where half fade on and half fade off - that's my favourite too.

Alternatively, we sometimes put two sets of lights on - one red one gold and put both on slo fade so there always at least half on at any one time.

Ninkanink · 09/12/2019 14:17

Yes I agree they are a lot nicer than most, but they don’t twinkle in the same, slow way that I’m looking for. I remember it distinctly, it’s so frustrating to not be able to find it.

HopelessLayout · 09/12/2019 14:23

With the "slo glo" the lights go on (half) and off (the other half) in unison, rather than randomly.

OP posts:
DontCallMeShitley · 09/12/2019 14:36

Festive Lights have a website and also sell on Ebay if it is any help.

GoKartMozart · 09/12/2019 14:50

I miss twinkling ones too. Everywhere round these parts they are flashing and it's quite hard on the eye, especially the blue ones. Every corner I turn I think there has either been an accident or a riot.

danmthatonestakentryanotheer · 09/12/2019 15:55

OH is epileptic and trying to find non-flashing lights is a nightmare. We have lights with multiple settings and he's not allowed into the room until I've gone through the rigmarole of pressing the button until the static is enabled. Sometimes the button needs to be pressed 6 times before it's finally safe.

HopelessLayout · 09/12/2019 23:25

Unfortunately I've found that many manufacturers advertise their lights as "twinkling" but after purchase, I discover their definition of the word is quite different to mine.

OP posts:
Unihorn · 09/12/2019 23:27

If you live anywhere near South Wales the Festive warehouse is here. It's a nice hour out looking at Christmas decorations!!

user1473878824 · 09/12/2019 23:30

I know exactly what you mean. I shamefully buy fairy lights whenever I can and I reckon your best bet is probably the terribly named Lights 4 Fun.

Davros · 09/12/2019 23:44

I've found that having two sets of lights, both flashing out of synch, gives a twinkly effect

popcornpaws · 09/12/2019 23:53

We got ones from bhs in the early nineties, true twinkling ones, they were beautiful!
There are no replacements... i’ve tried them all! I went for static ones eventually as all the rest were never the same!

Newsletters you might like

Discover Exclusive Savings!

Sign up to our Money Saver newsletter now and receive exclusive deals and hot tips on where to find the biggest online bargains, tailored just for Mumsnetters.

You've subscribed!

Parent-Approved Gems Await!

Subscribe to our weekly Swears By newsletter and receive handpicked recommendations for parents, by parents, every Sunday.

You've subscribed!

DuchessMinnie · 09/12/2019 23:55

I bought twinkling lights last week from Next- £20 for 300. There are about 8 settings and one of them is pretty and twinkly. The other settings are awful so I have it set to twinkly all the time.

easyandy101 · 09/12/2019 23:56

Mandela effect imo

True randomisation, like fireflies, is very hard

Pipandmum · 09/12/2019 23:56

Yes I know what you mean. I bought firefly lights but they shimmer. I saw what I wanted at a restaurant but they couldn't remember where they came from. The search continues.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.