Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To make dd give up her dance lessons?!

9 replies

sproutsarenotjustforchristmas · 08/12/2019 20:32

Dd is 7 and Started dance lessons locally about 9 months ago. She used to go with a friend who's mum drove her there and back so was super easy to mange. Friend has now moved away and can't do lifts and for various reason, it would be a total pain in the arse to carry on with dance. Shes never seemed to totally love it, seems to like it when she's there but a bit reluctant to get changed to get ready to go etc and if for any reason we can't make it, she never moans or seems disappointed. She does brownies and swimming but no other extracurricular activities. Are these enough or should she be doing more?! Aibu to knock it on the head to make our lives a bit simpler?!

OP posts:
CruCru · 08/12/2019 20:40

If your children’s activities will make your life difficult, you should stop them. It sounds as though she already has some activities - Brownies and swimming are fine.

Stompythedinosaur · 08/12/2019 20:42

I suppose it depends on how difficult it would be to carry on, and whether you have other dc to consider. Personally I would try to continue if she likes it, as active hobbies are so good for dc, but if the journey was infeasible long or expensive then I wouldn't judge you for stopping.

Bunnybigears · 08/12/2019 20:45

How difficult would it be? Difficult as an absolute bloody nightmare or difficult as in cant really be bothered?

sproutsarenotjustforchristmas · 08/12/2019 20:47

I have a ds who is 4. We can't afford a second car right now and dh needs the one we have for work so would be a 20 min walk each way, coming back in the dark. I just feel so guilty that my circumstances mean she can't carry on. But then she's not totally enamoured with it. So conflicted!

OP posts:
BlueGingerale · 08/12/2019 20:48

It’s fine to stop it. 2 activities is heaps.

Bunnybigears · 08/12/2019 20:49

I would ask her if she wants to keep walking 20 minutes each way or does she want to stop dancing. You will soon find out how much she cares about it.

Stompythedinosaur · 08/12/2019 21:32

I agree to her having the choice. I don't think a 20 min walk is that far, but I can see it might be more difficult for a 4yo at the end of a long day.

PooWillyBumBum · 08/12/2019 22:06

YADNBU

MarthasGinYard · 08/12/2019 22:08

Ask her what she wants to do

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.