Mumsnet Logo
My feed

to access all these features


To ask if I'm being harrassed and what can I do?

9 replies

justaquestion55 · 08/12/2019 16:55

NC for this one.

I grew up in one of your average 'Stately Homes' households... Seemingly perfect to the outsider, spoiled with everything a child could wish for, the works. On the inside, I was emotionally abused on a daily basis - screamed at, subject to adult tantrums, ignored for days, insulted, or used as my mother's personal therapist. A few questionably creepy comments from mum thrown in for good measure. Emotionally absent father and no other relatives would talk to us (as a child I used to wonder why... I don't anymore).

Naturally this led to numerous mental health issues, including (thus far) three signed-off-work-for-months breakdowns and two suicide attempts. Despite that, I've managed to hold down a job and support myself financially.

I snapped three years ago after a particularly heinous comment. No contact ever since. Still, that doesn't stop my mother from harrassing me whenever she can. It's now escalated to her sending messages to my friends and partner's family on Facebook and Instagram. She even (somehow) found out my boss's name and messaged him, too. I live alone and I'm petrified of her turning up at my workplace or house.

What can I do in this situation?? Would a restraining order be an option? I just don't want to ever have to face the woman again and I know you have to see the person in court to get a restraining order... :(

OP posts:

Ohyesiam · 08/12/2019 16:58

She sounds so toxic, I’m sorry opFlowers.
Not much to offer on the way of advice about legalities , but didn’t wasn’t to read and ignore.
Hope you get the advice you need here.


Aquamarine1029 · 08/12/2019 17:00

In your position, I would be going straight to the police and look into getting a non-molestation order. Your mother harassing you is awful enough, but going after your friends and employer is just unhinged. You can't live like this. I'm so sorry, this is absolutely terrible.


Waveysnail · 08/12/2019 17:00

I'd go to the police and ask about a restraining order


LeekMunchingSheepShagger · 08/12/2019 17:01

Speak to a solicitor op Flowers


Oliversmumsarmy · 08/12/2019 17:04

I moved hundreds of miles away. New job. New name. That was before SM but I do not do SM even now.

My mother reported me missing. Had to tell them I was fine but absolutely No Contact.

Unless you change your life completely then there is always the chance of your mother turning up on your doorstep


sonjadog · 08/12/2019 17:06

I would contact the police and ask their advice.


justaquestion55 · 08/12/2019 18:08

Thanks all. Just want the stress to be over... I feel like no one in my real life gets it.

OP posts:

Katisha · 08/12/2019 18:20

With regard to work, you can tell your manager to ignore anything coming from her. I once had to do this about someone who was threatening to call my workplace. Work were fine about being warned, although actually nothing happened in the end.


Countryescape · 08/12/2019 21:09

I would contact the police definitely. I’d also just flick your friends and boss an email or ring them. Just apologise and say she has mental health issues and unfortunately has stopped her medication. They arent going to hold it against you.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Sign up to continue reading

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?