Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

AIBU to ask about pain killers

28 replies

Flythedragons · 07/12/2019 01:01

I’m posting here for traffic. I posted in general health but haven’t had any replies.

I have osteoarthritis in my hips. One has been replaced and now the other has suddenly become extremely painful. It will probably be replaced next year, but between now and then I need to learn to cope with the pain. Does anybody have any tips?

I am taking codeine, tramadol, paracetamol, ibuprofen and amitriptyline! I have taken all of that regularly today and the pain is still awful! I’m facing another sleeplessness night tonight.

This really is hard and nobody around me seems to understand how much pain I’m in. I’ve done nothing today, I have so much that I need to do and I can’t do any of it because any standing makes the pain worse.

If I speak to my gp again is there anything else that can be prescribed for me?? I’m using a tens machine which helps a bit.

Anybody else suffering with pain?? Any tips on how to cope better??

Thank you

OP posts:
PomBearWithAnOFRS · 07/12/2019 01:11

You need to see your GP and "impress" on them how much pain you are in. They tend to be reluctant to prescribe "heavy duty" pain relief outside of a hospital setting, but there are things they could give you that would work - for example oramorph.
You may well have a battle to get it though Sad keep on at them, keep notes on what you take when, and how much it actually reduces the pain, and how much sleep you get, how mobile you are etc.
Good luck.

Ermmmmname · 07/12/2019 01:12

Not the same thing but my hips dislocate regularly so in the same ballpark.
Have you spoken to your doctors about mobility aids if you don’t already use them?
A chair can be used for most activities. As well as learning how to move with a bad hip (physio can help with this for things such as getting out of bed, standing up etc).Taking the weight off when walking might help.
Heat pads can also be good as well as baths if you can get in and out.
Make sure you’re pacing properly and don’t do things can cause the extra pain even though you want to. If anyone around can help get things done ask them.

wellthismakesnosense · 07/12/2019 01:16

Hi @ Flythedragons. I have Fibro, but of course cannot fully relate to your pain, you poor thing. I have however tried many, many variations of pain relief/dosages etc over 4 years and finally now have a balance which has helped an awful lot. I take the same meds as you (amitriptyline I take 10-30mg at night. I find the 30mg gives me the best relief but I struggle to wake in the morning so reduce when I’m working unless needed, but seems to be OK whilst I’m not in a flare up). I also take pregabalin. Also recently added Meloxicam which is an anti inflammatory, stronger than ibuprofen etc and predominantly used to treat arthritis I believe. But this was only offered in the last 6 months, never had any mention of it before then! At a minimum I’d ask for that.

I’m very aware that we all respond differently, so could be completely wrong for you, but just some ideas. I’m also aware that there will be others, including docs who believe some of these meds aren’t appropriate, too strong, didn’t work for them etc. I have quite a high tolerance now so don’t suffer with side effects, but again others might.

The best advice I can also give is not to push yourself. Learn your limits and don’t try and push through them to get things done. I know that the only way I can manage to work etc is taking it easy when I’m at home in the evenings and weekends. STOP trying to do too much - only do the things you absolutely must do (and it takes a lot to get a balance here) you need to make some adjustments and let things go for now until you’re feeling better.

Anyway, I hope that’s a bit helpful. If nothing else but to let you know you’re not alone and there are people who will understand.

Aridane · 07/12/2019 02:18

My mother has those painful - but pain relieving - injections to relieve pain. She is also on morphine. Very much a last resort - but do explore the injections. The pain relief is long lasting (not permanent)

cultmaskid · 07/12/2019 02:58

Hi!

Can you go to London to the London Pain clinic and see Dr Jenner or Dr Singh there? They can help you out whilst you wait to have hips sorted

Some other meds to ask about

Robaxjn
Tapentadol

What about a slow release tramadol?
Fentanyl patch?

You poor thing, I really feel for you.

I couldn't do anything and was on a heap of ineffective drugs when I went to the LPC and they sorted me out so quickly with nerve blocks and proper medication to take as a rescue

SpamChaudFroid · 07/12/2019 03:58

Gabapentin might be helpful - I was prescribed amitrypitiyine which didn't work for me, for sciatic nerve pain. The gabapentin works very well, but it's not without its side effects.

SpamChaudFroid · 07/12/2019 03:59

*Amitriptyline

sashh · 07/12/2019 04:36

I have arthritis and take similar to you but one thing I see missing is a strong anti inflammatory, ibuprofen may not be enough, actually ibuprofen does nothing for me but naproxen does.

I use a TENS machine occasionally which helps.

I also drink camomile tea sometimes at night, it supposedly has anti inflammatory properties and doesn't keep me awake.

I also use cold and heat, cold to reduce inflammation, heat to ease pain, it might be an ice pack, hot water bottle or a bath.

Oh and I spent several hundred pounds on a mattress.

madamy · 07/12/2019 04:50

Ok, so DH has had both hips done and experienced a similar flare in the previously 'good one' after having the bad one done. I'm also a nurse prescriber so have some drug knowledge.
What doses of codeine and tramadol are you taking? He ended up on a bupromorphine patch, but there are new guidelines for managing chronic pain which have made GPs much more cautious about prescribing opiates. You shouldn't really be on both. Have you tried naproxen instead of ibuprofen?
When you say 'probably' having the other done next yr, have you seen your consultant and are you on the waiting list? If not, you need to push for this asap.

RockinHippy · 07/12/2019 10:23

Have you looked into nutritional & alternative therapies as additional support. I find them very helpfully & manage fibro, Eds, & some OA (neck & hand) on minimal medication using it only fir. Bad flare ups.

Amytriptiline I'd be wary of as it made me worse & it affects B12 IIRC

High dose thiamine literally cured the OA that was diagnosed in my hand & it comes back if I forget fir a few days. Neck it helped, but turned out I had disc compression too. Some of us have genetics that mean we don't process it properly. Same goes with D, B12 & Folate

Curcumin with is extracted from turmeric is very helpful for pain & we swear by it along with high dose magnesium. We favour Magnesium Malate, but there are different types of Magnesium so look at what suits your needs best. For example I'll use mag citrate if I've needed to take my codiene & need it's laxative properties

Manual Lymphatic drainage massage helps pain a lot as does getting sleep under control with a weighted blanket or melatonin

I'd also suggest looking into vitamin D deficiency & getting onto high dose natural Vitamin D3 with k, magnesium & fat to metabolise it. Plus B12 deficiency needs ruling out with a trial loading dose of B12 injections

RockinHippy · 07/12/2019 10:56

Oh & a good quality CBD oil, such as Dutch Natural Healing or Simoly CBD

SquareAsABlock · 07/12/2019 11:12

@cultmaskid do you get paid to promote that clinic? I've seen you mention them across many threads and its starting to feel like spam.

dontgobaconmyheart · 07/12/2019 11:16

I would go back to your GP asap OP and ask to be referred to Pain Management you will get much better advice there.

I would also look into coming off codeine, it is known to make chronic pain worse with longer term use and isn't really suitable for ongoing pain issues lots of info about this online and I was advised as such by my own GP.

Re:your existing medications depending what doses you are on it may be possible to start a higher dose, or switch to something such as gabapentin or pregabalin. I also agree that Ibuprofen is unlikely to be sufficient and would ask the GP about Naproxen as an alternative. Either way OP it is not wise to take ibuprofen or naproxen daily without the use of something like Omeprazole to protect your stomach lining, you wouldn't want the added pain of gastric issues or ulcer.

I realise it sounds a lot but balancing pain meds is a long game, I would look into the advice given here, and speak with your GP about that referral/get off the codeine if you can and discuss your doses/options.

Sounds trite but heat therapy is worth a go, heated pads, heated blanket, heated wrap etc. I wouldn't go down the CBD route without speaking with a GP as you already take medication.

Chronic pain is awful OP, sorry you are suffering.Flowers

cultmaskid · 07/12/2019 20:49

@SquareAsABlock
No I spent a lot of money trying to fix things and they were the best ..

SquareAsABlock · 07/12/2019 20:59

@cultmaskid what on earth makes you think that people on MN have a lot of money to spend, especially on Harley Street doctors? Never mind the travel, not everyone on here is from London or the south east. Rather odd and unhelpful advice.

yoohooitsme · 07/12/2019 21:08

Ask GP for a referral to the hospital pain service to get tailored advice maybe?

OrangeSlices998 · 07/12/2019 21:10

I second asking about the referral to the pain team. Don’t diminish the pain or pretend it’s better than it is, it sounds so tough for you I’m so sorry Flowers

LittleLongDog · 07/12/2019 21:15

Have you been referred to the pain team? If not then that’s what you need.

cultmaskid · 07/12/2019 21:16

Ok square good for you
I think it's cheaper then being unemployed
Losing a marriage
Home

I didn't say everyone can afford it
Joker

cultmaskid · 07/12/2019 21:17

Why are you trying to focus on me when you should focus on someone asking about pain killers
Look me up I've used Mumsnet for years

JennerL78 · 09/12/2019 14:15

I'm just really against pharmacutical drugs personally @dontgobaconmyheart Sometimes they can't be avoided - sure - but for things like aches of pains the anti inflammatory properties of cbd oil is fantastic. Obviously I'm biased because I've been using cbd for over 4 years now but I'm a big believer in listening to your body and cbd ticks all the boxes for me. I use these guy, if you haven't used cbd before their 'top 5' products are reviewed here - cbdgiant.co.uk/pages/best-cbd-oil-uk

Flythedragons · 10/12/2019 17:45

Hi to everyone who replied. Thank you so much for your suggestions. For those that asked it was taking 60mg if codeine every 6 hours and the occasional tramadol. I’m going to stop taking the ibuprofen as I don’t think it helps and I do t want to cause stomach problems.

I do use a heat pad which does help.

The pain, thank goodness has calmed down now. I was in such a state. Chronic pain is awful. I’m going to contact my consultant and get into see him, I don’t think I should put off the surgery. If I get another flair up like that I will go back to my go with some of the suggestions on here.

Thank you for understanding, at the weekend I really felt that nobody got it xx

OP posts:
LightsInOtherPeoplesHouses · 10/12/2019 18:12

I also agree that Ibuprofen is unlikely to be sufficient and would ask the GP about Naproxen as an alternative.

In my experience their pain reduction effect is about the same, but the ibuprofen kicks in faster but wears off faster while the Naproxen takes longer to work but the effect lasts longer. Swings and roundabouts really, though Naproxen is apparently safer.

Dodie66 · 10/12/2019 18:19

Ask to be referred to a pain clinic

Aridane · 10/12/2019 19:11

I'm just really against pharmacutical drugs personally

@JennerL78 - why are you anti medicine? Just curious!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.