My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To ask what the truth is about elective C Sections?

179 replies

Moomin8 · 04/12/2019 19:13

I'm not thinking of asking for one myself but I wondered what people's rights actually are because certainly it is not clear (perhaps intentionally)

My friend has a 6 month old ds and she had quite severe tokophobia. It's so bad for her that she can't even cope with smears or internal exams and needs medication to cope with these. So she had requested a section from quite early on, she told me. Apparently her midwives were in support of this but when she got to see the consultant at 36 weeks, her attitude was very unpleasant. She told my friend that tokophobia doesn't actually exist and got really shirty about my friend wanting a section.

My friend stood her ground and the section went ahead fine but she was upset about the consultant's approach. Her midwife told her that the doctor may have been trying to put her off because of cost of a section.

Does anyone know what the facts about this are?

OP posts:
Pinkblanket · 06/12/2019 14:30

I had a straightforward planned section for a breech baby and a straightforward vaginal birth for my second. I would never choose a section unless it was medically advised. It rarely feels acceptable in real life to say the vaginal delivery was great. You are either considered a liar or run the risk of upsetting someone (as it is perceived you are criticising their experience, rather than just describing your own).

Morgan12 · 06/12/2019 14:49

@reluctantlondoner to be fair my vaginal delivery wasn't what you could call 'the norm'. I was induced and ended up needing forceps. My recovery was just horrendous and took months.

My section was so chilled and relaxed in comparison. It feels much more controlled and safe. And the recovery period was weeks.

neonglow · 06/12/2019 16:27

@Phineyj

There is actually work going on at the moment (as a result of the Montgomery case I mentioned above) to create a tool that helps women make decisions taking into account all of their different factors (age, BMI, other pregnancies and births etc etc) www.birthrights.org.uk/campaigns-research/montgomery-and-consent/ it’s mentioned at the bottom here.

Phineyj · 06/12/2019 18:22

How sensible!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.