Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Cadets not returning deposit

36 replies

Orangeblossom78 · 04/12/2019 17:47

DS started cadets and left after a year. We returned the kit but they seem to be witholding the deposit. It was £75, and then DS could not find one piece so we got another and paid another £35 for that (we returned all items including the one lost and the other found item

We sent an email as they asked with the bank details and got told an item was not clean enough and they were taking £3 off to clean it (a stove type item- it was in the same condition given I checked it and seemed OK)

Anyway I think it is £110 (minus the £3) and they have still not returned it some weeks later. AIBU to ask them again about this? Or would you just leave it.

It says online the kit is meant to be free as provided by Cadets and not meant to be a charge.

OP posts:
KurriKurri · 04/12/2019 17:53

Well I wouldn't just leave it - if they owe you a deposit, they owe yo a deposit, they can't just not return it.
I don't quite understand about it being £110 though - you are including the item your DS lost/couldn't find - but you can't charge them for that, it was presumably covered by the original deposit an dif you hadn;t replaced it the £35 would have come out of the £75.
So I would be asking for £72 returned (£75 minus £3 cleaning charge)

Orangeblossom78 · 04/12/2019 18:00

Well, we paid £75 originally and as we found the item they got that back as well as the item we said another £35 deposit for? So we returned all the items and the extra one as well.

The told me most parents don't bother asking for the deposit back. It is at a different school, a private one. Maybe they are well off and don't bother, not sure.

I feel a bit funny about keeping emailing them though.

OP posts:
MrsMaiselsMuff · 04/12/2019 18:04

When did you last contact them and what did they say?

I'd expect £72 back. The £35 was for a replacement item, not an additional deposit. The fact you then found the item is irrelevant as a new one had been purchased by then.

WeeDangerousSpike · 04/12/2019 18:05

Email them and ask when you can expect the deposit to be returned.

They can sod off with 'most parents don't ask', they shouldn't have to ask! It should be a case of thanks for the gear back, here's a cheque.

BananaPeach · 04/12/2019 18:05

It shouldn’t be called a deposit if you don’t get it back. You’re well within your rights to ask for it

KurriKurri · 04/12/2019 18:14

I wouldn;t feel bad about e-mailing - makes no odds if most parents don;t ask for the deposit back. A deposit is just that - you get it back less any damages.
Not sure where you stand on asking them to pay for the replacement item you bought - they didn't ask for it. I understand now you also gave them back the mislaid item - but with the replacement I would ask them if they want to buy it from you or return it to you.

I would e-mail them very factually that you would like you deposit returned, as previously requested, and y ou would like it back by X date.

Teachermaths · 04/12/2019 18:17

You should get £72 back. Keep emailing.

emmaluvseeyore · 04/12/2019 18:31

I’d email them back again. Chances are they’ve just forgotten. I volunteer for another group and often forget things as I have a lot of stuff going on in my head! I wouldn’t be upset if a parent emailed me a reminder.

easyandy101 · 04/12/2019 18:36

If both charges are deposits then she gets 107 back

Maybe things are different but when i was in cadets it wasn't new stuff you got. Both the found item and 2nd item that was deposited against would be returned to supplies and given to someone else. The only new thing we got was boots

KurriKurri · 04/12/2019 18:40

Ah - Think I ws still getting hold of wrong end of stick, Did your DS lose the £35 item whilst still in the cadets and he had to pay a £35 deposit to get another stove? If that is the ase then yes as you and easyandy say it is £107.
I thought when the time came to return items because he was leaving he couldn't find the stove and you had to buy a replacement from a camping shop or something.

Fair enough - you are enitled to £107 back and keep emailing them until they get fed up and send you the money. They can't just keep people's money.

makingmammaries · 04/12/2019 19:24

A deposit is a deposit. If they wanted the kit returned then their part of the deal is to return the deposit. Do not let it go, they are CF.

Orangeblossom78 · 05/12/2019 08:30

The email reply sounded quite shirty- said 'I have not had time to do the invoice nor have I had time to clean the (item mentioned). It was really OK, I checked it before returning it, so a bit fed up about that. I have emailed again though. Will see what happens.

Yes it says online the kit is supplied free of charge from the MOD.

OP posts:
Orangeblossom78 · 05/12/2019 08:31

We couldn't find the stove at the time (there was so much stuff took it all back in a taxi) so posted on the stove when we found it.

OP posts:
EskewedBeef · 05/12/2019 08:50

You should get £72 back. They didn't ask for the bonus stove, so that's not something they owe you for.

EskewedBeef · 05/12/2019 08:52

Actually, have I read it correctly? You couldn't find the stove they issued, so you bought a replacement. You then found the lost one, and eventually returned both stoves.

Orangeblossom78 · 05/12/2019 08:58

Sorry it is a bit confusing

The item we originally mislaid and got another was a clothing item - another £35 (we then found the original and returned them both)

We also had a missing stove (well I just missed it in the taxi run and sent it on in the post)

So paid the original £75, then another £35 but returned the extra clothing item as well as the rest of the stuff

OP posts:
Gruzinkerbell1 · 05/12/2019 09:01

Find an email for head office and start cc’ing them on your emails.

I don’t know why everyone is struggling to understand the additional £35 cost. You should get the whole figure refunded.

MrsToothyBitch · 05/12/2019 09:27

Was it CCF via a partnership school? Might be a bursary/school finance issue or a contingent commander with tonnes to do. Depends on the workload & financial set up. Keep politely emailing and threaten to complain to the school(s) directly, this might bump up your urgency. Some places also just don't cough up fast.

Could you also tell me where in the country you are, please?

BlaueLagune · 05/12/2019 09:31

You should get £72 back. Keep emailing them, they're just hoping you'll forget and let it go. I would email once a week until you get it.

The £35 is irrelevant, it's annoying if you pat for a replacement and find the original but that's just life.

Orangeblossom78 · 05/12/2019 09:34

WE are in the South West

OP posts:
Orangeblossom78 · 05/12/2019 09:34

The £35 was I understand another deposit - best check though perhaps not.

OP posts:
GiveHerHellFromUs · 05/12/2019 09:43

The 'I haven't had time' isn't your problem. I'm sure they were happy to insist you paid the deposit immediately!

Tell them if you haven't received your money by x date you'll seek legal advice as they're withholding money they owe to you with no view as to when you'll receive it.

mrsm43s · 05/12/2019 10:00

How much time have you given them to process this?

I absolutely think you should get your deposit back, but you sound quite chaotic - sending back missing items/dirty stove etc - you need to give them time to sort and check your items, deal with damage/cleaning etc.

I would write a polite letter asking the timescale in which you should be receiving the balance of your deposit back. If you've left them jobs like stove cleaning etc, its not unreasonable for it to take a few weeks before they are even in the position to process the paperwork requesting a refund. I'm not sure how bureaucratic the process is, it might take several weeks once the request for refund has been sent before the payment is actually issued.

I agree you should get your deposit, minus any damage/cleaning charges/missing items back, and I would politely chase it.

Orangeblossom78 · 05/12/2019 10:07

They checked in the times on a form when I took it back and then i sent the stove on after, not that chaotic, there was a load of stuff- rucksack, clothing, bivibag and the like..it was a couple of months ago

OP posts:
Savingshoes · 05/12/2019 10:27

For them to pay you back they have to have to signatures to agree.
They are volunteers so if these two adults don't meet outside of cadets (they're running activities during cadets) it slows the process down.
I one of them then needs to do the whole process in their own time around their work, family and voluntary commitments.
It can take months/weeks.
You are well within your rights to ask for an estimated timing to expect the money back.
It should say on the letter "deposits will be given back following items checked within x months" or something similar.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.