My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To not want to share holiday accommodation?

34 replies

DreamingofSunshine · 03/12/2019 11:10

DH, DS and I are going on holiday in January, long haul destination but cheap once you are there. We've booked accommodation but can cancel it.

DMIL and SFIL have said they would like to join us, possibly for one of the two weeks, or the whole time. I get on well with them and would be very happy if they came with.

The only issue is that they want to share accommodation and we don't - we really like our own space, and think it makes for a better holiday if everyone has space. This goes for holidays with my family, friends, and SIL and BIL. MIL and SFIL can afford to pay for their own accommodation, but are very keen to share.

AIBU to think two self catering apartments next to each other is close enough?

OP posts:
Chlosavxox · 03/12/2019 12:36

Just say you've already booked your accommodation and it's non refundable- they don't need to know you can cancel it!

DreamingofSunshine · 03/12/2019 12:36

Grin loving the noisy sex excuse!

@Drum2018 I'm going to take that approach and book something, so I can say 'this is what we've booked if you want to book in the same place'.

SIL is the complete opposite and actively wants her parents to share with them, and I think that's what has set MILs expectations.

OP posts:
TeapotCollection · 03/12/2019 12:37

“I can’t even share with myself” 😂

0SometimesIWonder · 03/12/2019 12:37

YANBU.
H and I holiday with our children and families every so often but we (Hand I) always book ourselves into a different hotel/appartment.
You need your own space as do your inlaws.

Sharonthetotallyinsane · 03/12/2019 12:41

NBU

Agree with PP who said make it sound a done deal about you having your own space.

Rainbunny · 03/12/2019 13:09

I feel for you! Whenever DH and I take a trip somewhere, my MIL will make longing comments on any pictures we post on Facebook, then DH starts saying how maybe she could join us on a holiday sometime. I hate feeling this way because I really do like and care for my MIL but over my dead body! I want to relax on holiday, get up when I want and eat what and when I want to, enjoy lots of wine and lay by the pool. If my MIL joined us we'd be up early every morning with a schedule of things to do each day taking a packed lunch because she is incurably thrifty and hates eating out. She is a very fussy eater and dislikes all foreign food. She is also teetotal and quite judgemental about it, so every glass of wine we'd enjoy would be met with disapproving stares. So basically the opposite of a relaxing holiday would be the result!

The funny thing is that my DH is even more into lazy, food and drink filled holidays than I am and he never enjoys the regimented family trips that his family have but he forgets it everytime MIL say's she wishes she was there with us on our trip... Fortunately I only have to remind DH of what a holiday with his mum would actually be like and the fact that we wouldn't be having any lovely holiday sex if she's in the next room, that always does the trick Grin

I really do like my MIL but holidays with the inlaws is never something I'll be up for. Holidays are to rare for me not to be selfish about it.

Windinmyhair · 03/12/2019 13:12

just say you don't want to be all squeezed in and there needs to be enough room for you all otherwise everyone gets tetchy and not what you want on holiday. Totally fair enough.

Ginfordinner · 03/12/2019 13:17

I would hate to share with anyone other than my nearest and dearest. Juts tell them that you would love them to be on holiday with you, but they need to book their own accommodation. Tell them that there wouldn't be anough bathrooms if you all shared.

Sistercharlie · 03/12/2019 13:19

I'm with you op. Gah what is wrong with people like this? Why would you want to play sardines when you don't have to?

Just say lovely you are coming but as for accommodation, DH and I like our privacy thanks, and then wink.

They'd have to be very dense not to take the hint.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.