Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

If dh rings to ignore his call

15 replies

RollOnNextYear · 30/11/2019 15:06

Lighthearted

I do all the grocery shopping as I'm a sahm and I really enjoy it.
He's done it a few Times and always get a call
What chicken is it?
What veg shall I get?
What fragrance washing up. Liquid? Etc

In the week as he was off, I had a nap and I said get dd her strawberries, meaning 1.punnet he brought 3. Said because she like them. Along side 3 punnets blueberries. And 36 of her fromage frais.

He s just said he'd like to go shopping today. My list was very vague but for me.. Ie. Chicken for enchiladas (as in the type and quantity)
Veg for Tues dinner and weds dinner.

He's took it and said I'm sure I'll work it out. I'm. Laughing as he won't even know what I plan to cook to know what veg I would do to go With it.
I know ill get at least 4 calls.

So tempted to put phone one silent and nap haha.

OP posts:
Purpleartichoke · 30/11/2019 15:35

That drives me crazy. DH will go to do the shopping and call me every few minutes. I won’t let him take the list anymore if I don’t rewrite it for him, but even then he will call at least a couple of times.

Lunafortheloveogod · 30/11/2019 15:38

It drives me mad but would you rather answer a 2minute call or trek back to the shop when he inevitably trails home with a carrot and a tin of sweet corn with two chicken breasts?

Winterdaysarehere · 30/11/2019 15:40

Dh does the shopping. Then rings me at work with a low down of his wares.
Just unpack the friggin bags!!

LellyMcKelly · 30/11/2019 15:45

Men are not this stupid. They’re genuinely not. They just want you to think they are so you’ll do it for them. My DP heads up a large department and if then the ridiculous ‘what rice?’ calls until he phoned and I just snapped and said, ‘Use an ounce of sense. You are not that dumb’. No calls after that.

diddl · 30/11/2019 16:21

So presumably he has seen the chicken that you use for enchiladas for example?

But why wouldn't you let him know what veg you want before he left?

RollOnNextYear · 30/11/2019 16:48

He doesn't see the chicken because I like to cook for when he gets in otherwise the kids would eat too late

The veg, simply because the list was already written and I tend to look and see what's nicest quality. No calls yet but left 2 hours ago.. The shop is 10 min away lmao

Its totally light hearted. If something is forgotten or whatever it don't matter as we generally do a top up in week when ds brings his school ingredients list home on a weds for a thurs

OP posts:
ysmaem · 30/11/2019 17:03

My OH is like this. I do asda delivery and one day I just couldn't be bothered to do it so I asked OH if he'd fill up trolley with things we needed. Shop turned up the following day and there were 30 eggs, 10 pints of milk and 4 baguettes 😶 I asked him why and he said he thought that's how much i usually get apparently. Ended up gave some of the extra food to my mother. I've never asked him to do the shop afterwards.

Runkle · 30/11/2019 17:06

Worse thing is being stuck behind these men as they block an aisle calling their partners. Pathetic Hmm

RhiWrites · 30/11/2019 17:08

I've never asked him to do the shop afterwards.

Which is why he deliberately fucked it up. So you wouldn’t ask for help again.

Bluerussian · 30/11/2019 17:23

My husband quite liked food shopping but he would always by 'bogof'and 3for2s even if we didn't need them. I'd say, "Why did you buy that?" and he'd reply, "It was on offer". Difficult to persuade some people that just because something is on offer, you don't actually have to purchase it; especially if you can't close the fridge properly! Or the freezer. Or the cupboards.

SilverySurfer · 30/11/2019 17:40

I've never asked him to do the shop afterwards.

And you fell for that? He's a professional incompetent like so many men talked about on here. Win/win for him. He is effectively telling you it's beneath him to do such menial work but thinks it's perfectly ok for you to do it. What does that say about what he thinks about you?

RollOnNextYear · 30/11/2019 17:58

Hes home. No excess items. Lots of extras lol and 2 forgotten items. But they wernt important
The grapes were a bit off color but in his defence he is color Blind and genuinely can't see they're a bit iffy. But make. Sure use them first

OP posts:
LionelRitchieStoleMyNotebook · 30/11/2019 18:00

I do the shopping because I enjoy cooking and it makes sense if the person who cooks shops. I might be planning on one meal get to the shop and a key ingredient is out of stock so I'll scrap it and think of something else, DH won't necessarily know which items on the list correspond to which meals, so for example they won't have smoked paprika but he'll still buy everything else for goulash. He's happy to shop and cook but we'd eat meat, potatoes and plain veg, because that's what he grew up on and knows how to cook (and it'll all be overcooked and poorly seasoned). I don't want to eat like that so I either shop or accept I'll get calls.

diddl · 30/11/2019 19:21

Have these men never cooked & shopped for themselves then?

Or even involved themselves in meal prep so that they've got some idea of ingredients/quantities?

Purpleartichoke · 30/11/2019 19:48

When I started dating my DH, I was the very first person to ever use his stove top. He had lived in the house for 5 years. It was a new build so it had never been used at all. Completely freaked him out to have someone scrambling an egg in his house.

And he wasn’t living like a spartan bachelor. He had a beautiful 3 bedroom home. He just doesn’t cook.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.