Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

to ask you all to make me feel better about my binge

22 replies

DoctorStickers · 29/11/2019 19:37

A few hours ago I posted about having eaten some chicken wraps and regretted it.

I have now binged 2360 calories in this hour alone.
Actually about to cry. I've had such brilliant progress and I feel as if I am ruining it Sad I feel like utter and complete shite!!!!

OP posts:
DeathStare · 29/11/2019 19:45

I feel for you. I'm in the same place.

I've been on slimming world and have been doing well. Really proud of myself. Then over the last week I've really not been well and I've eaten the biggest pile of junk imaginable. I've probably put back on everything I had lost and I want to bury my head in the sand and not find out

littlepaddypaws · 29/11/2019 19:48

i ate a box of maltesers this afternoon while reading mn, i'm really naughty as i'm type 2 Blush[runs and hides]

DoctorStickers · 29/11/2019 19:49

deathstar Exactly how I feel too Sad

OP posts:
Floomph · 29/11/2019 19:49

Are you getting any support with the binging? At the end of the day it's a brain wiring problem, it's absolutely not your fault.

Deep breath and forgive yourself. What has helped me get rid (completely) of my binging problem is the book Brain over Binge. I also don't restrict my food - I eat lots of healthy fats and it regulates my appetite so well. I don't get cravings and I don't swing about starving myself then binging. But the book is fantastic and really helped me. When I was working on all this and I did get the urge to binge, I stopped trying to distract myself and recognised my primitive brain was trying to help me and I learnt to talk to it like a child and just say no. If you keep doing that and sit with your feelings, the urge to binge does actually go away. But it is tough to start with. The more you resist, the more the neural networks die and you don't want to so much.

JesusInTheCabbageVan · 29/11/2019 19:49

I've had such brilliant progress

That's the important bit. Now look on the bright side, you've got the inevitable momentary fuck up out the way. Because that's all it was.

ShakeShakeShake6791 · 29/11/2019 19:49

OP don’t despair but I think you need to tweak your diet a bit because it is clearly too restrictive if you are binging. Why don’t you add 150-200 more calories per day, make sure you’re getting plenty of foods you like in small portions and hopefully that would help the cravings and temptation to have “fuck it” moments where you lose control. Your weight loss might be slightly slower but you’ll be much more likely to stick to it for longer which is ultimately the key to success.

fellyjish · 29/11/2019 19:51

One bad day doesn't ruin it @DoctorStickers. Just chalk it up to a bad day and start over fresh tomorrow.

Just try and have some water/herbal tea now so you don't feel all dehydrated as well as bloated.

Don't be too hard on yourself x

DoctorStickers · 29/11/2019 19:51

little at least you didn't eat two packs of DS5's billy bear ham!!Blush don't think i'm okay to have wanted that

OP posts:
DoctorStickers · 29/11/2019 19:55

floomph That sounds good!! Will research tomorrow, thank you!!

jesus Thank you - that made me feel so much better Flowers

shake Will trySmile

fellyjish I'll have a cup of herbal tea now - thank you x

OP posts:
OhHellYa · 29/11/2019 19:59

Please don't give up. You can't put on weight from one bad day, no matter how bad. The important thing is to pick yourself up and make tomorrow a better day

DoctorStickers · 29/11/2019 20:03

Thank you all for your help Flowers you have made me much calmer x

OP posts:
Lillyhatesjaz · 29/11/2019 20:07

You have had a blip the important thing is to see it as that and go back to normal eating tomorrow don't give up

PonderTweek · 29/11/2019 20:08

It's ok! We all do it sometimes. It will not destroy your progress and you can carry on living your life. Smile When I was restricting my food intake too much I ended up having these insane cravings in the evenings and it was as if my body was forcing me to replace the lost nutrients. Like a PP said, it may be an idea to increase your food intake (I found that upping fats really helped me) and see if it helps.

I think binge eating disorder is a thing as well, so if you find yourself bingeing a lot, then a GP might be able to help. But really don't beat yourself up about overeating - one day can't ruin anything.

TipseyTorvey · 29/11/2019 20:11

I think far too little is researched into sugar and carb addiction. I worked really hard to give up smoking back in the day but managed it and stopped and never touched it again , but when I had to give up sugar due to gestational diabetes I found it sooo hard. Like that scene in trainspotting where he dives into the loo 🤣. I've mostly cracked it now but it feels like AA where I can't ever have it again or I go back to gobbling. It's everywhere and ooh just have a slice of cake /biscuit is a nightmare. Those that were always slim I have learnt didn't grow the fat cells that demand filling whereas if you've been fat and get thin those cells are still there screaming to be filled which is why fat people feel hunger (and my belly won't ever feck off)

Janicejaniceahmfallin · 29/11/2019 20:33

Aah, love, don’t beat yourself up. And definitely don’t be defeatist - “I’ve ruined everything so I may as well give up”, and all that self-fulfilling BS. That’s what will damage your progress, not the fact you’ve had a bad day and eaten a bit of crap.

Drink some water, get a good night’s sleep and get up tomorrow ready to carry on the great work you’ve done so far. And it is carrying on, not starting again. I honestly think it’s important to remember that.

BirthdayCakes · 29/11/2019 20:39

Read Intuitive Eating by Evelyn Tribole..

Your binge was a response to your 'brilliant progress' which I guess means restricting calories. . .

Girlintheframe · 29/11/2019 20:42

Op it's what you do consistently that matters. If your eating healthy 90% of the time the odd time of loosing it doesn't matter in the long run!
You remind me of me. I would start a 'diet' fall of the wagon, feel shit so would eat more rubbish to feel better then feel more shit!
Stop putting so much pressure on yourself. Your human, you can't be 'perfect' all the time and quite frankly who would want to be!
Tomorrow is a new day. Beating yourself up is only making it worse. Remember it's what you do 'most' of the time that has the biggest impact not things you do ' some' of the time

TheRightHonerable · 29/11/2019 20:54

That’s completely insane.
That’s more in one hour than an entire adult daily allowance.

It’s done now and there’s nothing you can do about that - but you do not need a message board of ‘its ok’ - ‘cut yourself some slack’- ‘you’ve done well so far’...etc

You need to acknowledge that even as a one off that amount is not ok and if you’ve done that there’s an issue with your diet plan.

Are you eating enough healthy foods to be full?
Are you planning in sweet treats to keep sugar cravings at bay?
Are you eating your feelings/boredom?

Identify the problem pick yourself up and do better tomorrow! You don’t have to eat healthily every day - we all have bad days but 2000+ calories in one hour...Jesus!

• I say this with (tough) love as somebody who has been in your shoes and does know how hard it is ❤️ I lost 5.5 st but ‘it’s ok give yourself a break’ never helped me do it 👍🏻 Xx
JesusInTheCabbageVan · 29/11/2019 21:54

Honerable different things work for different people. For a minority of people, being shamed does spur them into action. However, it's pretty well known these days that most people do best if they feel supported. Nobody on here is saying, fuck it, give up. They're saying it's NOT a reason to give up.

PS if you think 2360 cals in one hour is a lot, you've never had a Dominos.

TheRightHonerable · 30/11/2019 06:48

@JesusInTheCabbageVan

My intention isn’t shame, it’s to acknowledge that OP’s binge isn’t normal or ‘ok’ and that there’s a reason she’ll have done that which needs to be identified and addressed so it doesn’t keep happening ❤️

It galls me how easily ‘shaming’ is thrown around atm, honesty isn’t shaming - as long as there’s no nasty ness, name calling or superiority... simply ‘yes that’s too much but it’s done now so identify why it happened and do better tomorrow’ - I don’t think that’s shaming it’s just also not enabling.

We all know it’s not ok and OP won’t feel good about it. OP knows that too. ❤️

I haven't had more than 2 pieces of a take out pizza in one week since I lost the weight, and I’ve maintained for almost 6 years now 👍🏻 I honestly believe OP will have just as much success if they set their mind to it ❤️ It’s hard- OP does have my sympathy

JesusInTheCabbageVan · 30/11/2019 10:05

The way you worded your second post is fine. "Completely insane" and "Jesus!" isn't, I would suggest. The OP was already feeling terrible and didn't need to be made to feel worse. The majority of your first post (minus the judgement) might have been helpful in the cold light of day, when OP was back on an even keel, but not when she was already at rock bottom.

The OP posted specifically asking for comfort. I think you need to trust that she knows better than you what she needs.

JesusInTheCabbageVan · 30/11/2019 10:08

'isn't fine', to be clear.

@DoctorStickers* hope you're doing ok today?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.