My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

to tell you that the biggest cash increase in the NHS in modern times is also a Boris lie

26 replies

chomalungma · 28/11/2019 17:02

Because there's a big budget anyway, so any big cash increase is relative to the total budget.

And there's inflation as well.

It's less than the amount invested by Labour between 2004 and 2009. when you look at percentage increases and inflation.

fullfact.org/election-2019/nhs-spending-biggest-boost/

"The Prime Minister claimed many times throughout the campaign that the NHS is receiving £34 billion. He’s described this as the biggest spending increase in modern memory, or a record sum or the biggest boost for a generation.

It’s correct that £34 billion has been announced for the NHS (but only if you don’t account for inflation) between 2018/19 and 2023/24.

Whether or not you think this is the biggest increase in living memory really depends on how good your memory is, and it’s certainly not the biggest spending increase ever over five years. If we account for inflation—the meaningful way to look at spending over time—the last time there was a larger spending increase on health in England was between 2004/05 and 2009/10."

Tory lies again - and one he repeatedly makes.

OP posts:
Scotinthenorth · 28/11/2019 17:06

I see the Labour bots are out in force

chomalungma · 28/11/2019 17:19

/println/ torylies

Just pointing out Tory lies. Because Johnson is repeatedly lying to us about his NHS investment.

OP posts:
Actionhasmagic · 28/11/2019 17:20

Yanbu

chomalungma · 28/11/2019 17:23

Trump did the same thing. When the stock exchange went up by something like 200 points, he said it was the largest increase ever.

Technically true in number terms, but nothing exciting in percentage terms. It's the percentage increase that's important when it comes to funding things like the NHS and education.

OP posts:
CendrillonSings · 28/11/2019 17:28

Desperate Labour spinning going on. Can’t you read your own Fullfact link, which indeed proves the Tories are pumping more money into the NHS than ever before.

Inconvenient things, facts Wink

chomalungma · 28/11/2019 17:33

esperate Labour spinning going on. Can’t you read your own Fullfact link, which indeed proves the Tories are pumping more money into the NHS than ever befor

In inflation terms - and percentage terms - they are not.

Because money is worth less in the future because of inflation.

If you have a budget of £10,000 and it's increased by £250, it doesn't help if inflation is 3% because you need an increase of £300 at least to break even.

If there was a budget of £5000 10 years ago and it was increased by £200, that budget has increased by way more than 3% but the money invested is only £200 which is in NUMBER terms less than £250 but is worth much more as a percentage of the budget.

OP posts:
chomalungma · 28/11/2019 17:34

Can’t you read your own Fullfact link, which indeed proves the Tories are pumping more money into the NHS than ever before

From the link:

t’s certainly not the biggest spending increase ever over five years. If we account for inflation—the meaningful way to look at spending over time—the last time there was a larger spending increase on health in England was between 2004/05 and 2009/10

OP posts:
leckford · 28/11/2019 17:36

The NHS will be destroyed by fat people, diabetes, cancer etc. There is simply not enough money to pump into it to cover this

chomalungma · 28/11/2019 17:41

I'll ask @CendrillonSings this.

What's worth more? An extra £100 given to someone in 1984
Or an extra £101 in 2019?

One is a bigger number.
One is worth far more in the year it was given to someone.

OP posts:
CendrillonSings · 28/11/2019 17:44

From Fullfact.org:

At the moment, UK public health spending is the equivalent of about 7% of GDP, similar to what it was back in 2010 and higher than in previous years. Back in 1955, it was worth about 3% of GDP.

So the Conservatives are spending the same share of GDP on the NHS as New Labour was at their peak. And that's before the massive increases planned under - yes - the Conservatives:

Total health spending in England was around £129 billion in 2018/19 and is expected to rise to nearly £134 billion by 2019/20, taking inflation into account.

Last year the government announced that an additional £20.5 billion in real terms will be made available for the NHS in England by 2023/24

So record overall spending, matching the previous Labour Government as a share of GDP, with 20 billion more to come over the next few years. Not too shabby for the eviiiiilll Toriiiiiieees, eh?

Hagbeth · 28/11/2019 17:45

I’m getting fed up by this propaganda. Go back to your HQ Grin

chomalungma · 28/11/2019 17:48

“The figure that we're spending is £34 billion - it’s the biggest increase in modern memory in the NHS

Which is not true, is it....

OP posts:
chomalungma · 28/11/2019 17:49

I’m getting fed up by this propaganda. Go back to your HQ

Don't worry - just 2 weeks to go Grin

OP posts:
ReadtheSmallPrint · 28/11/2019 17:57

Another ‘Boris is evil’ thread. How original.

What exactly is the point? 95% of MNers hate Boris and the tories anyway so you’re preaching to the converted. The rest just think you’re boring.

If you Want to convert the unwashed masses, try posting your links on a few facebook posts by The Sun.

BoreOfWhabylon · 28/11/2019 17:58

yanbu

chomalungma · 28/11/2019 17:59

What exactly is the point? 95% of MNers hate Boris and the tories anyway so you’re preaching to the converted. The rest just think you’re boring

Given the polls and the demographics, I bet that a lot more people on here support Boris than would say.

OP posts:
InfiniteSheldon · 28/11/2019 18:02

Honestly reading this repetitive boring shit makes me want to vote for Boris if the other side are such morons

Bartlet · 28/11/2019 18:11

These technical debates are really only of interest to political geeks who already know who they're going to vote for.

If you want to change Tory voters minds then you need to stop boring them with minutiae. Its an instant turnoff and part of the reason Jeremy Corbyn is so unpopular. He lectures people and has zero charisma

Pukkatea · 28/11/2019 18:15

Yes, who wants or needs to discuss facts. The GP are too stupid to understand and should just get their slogans and be quiet.

TulipsTulipsTulips · 28/11/2019 18:17

I am also getting tired of this propaganda on mumsnet. Has Momentum got a room full of activists trying to brainwash mumsnetters?

SilverySurfer · 28/11/2019 18:18

I hope they are being paid well. I would be embarrassed to have to trot out this tripe day after day.

Pukkatea · 28/11/2019 18:20

I honestly feel sorry for people who are so happy to be lied to. It's not minutiae, it's how the government is presenting one of the few policies it's actually put forward this election.

TulipsTulipsTulips · 28/11/2019 18:20

I think the competition over who throws the most cash at the NHS is not the point anyway. None of the political parties want to say it, but at some point the nhs will need to be reformed so that it can survive and remain affordable by the public. This is a huge issue for our children as their taxes will be propping up an ageing generation. The nhs needs smart money, and cash alone won’t resolve this.

Bartlet · 28/11/2019 18:31

Pukka - the problem is that the general public is not interested or are too stupid to realise. They don't trust politicians of any creed and now expect them to lie.

The right have cottoned on to this and appoint charismatic leaders like Trump and Johnson who are liars but have great charm and are interesting to listen to. Apart from the Westminster bubble, no one gives a toss or understands worthy statement about the impact of inflation on NHS funding .

InfiniteSheldon · 28/11/2019 18:32

Plus posts like this are just designed to hide Jezbollahs utter failure to own a stance on Brexit, vile anti semitism and misogyny. We see you.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.