My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

encouraging people to register, in an ideal world but is it always best?

10 replies

staydazzling · 26/11/2019 11:20

By that i mean, is it always best to en masse try and involve people who dont seem to be particularly informed or understand politics and more importantly the repercussions of essentially voting blind or poorly informed. Its difficult for me to say this im very much a card carrying 'women died for my right to vote' voter. But, i feel like in the past people who didn't care stayed at home and people who dont care now are fucking it up for those of us who do, i dunno if this is incoherent, i just feel like every significant election of late reminds of how many people shouldnt 🤷‍♀️ weve too many times the public en masse is either callous or lacking in understanding of how austerity works and will effect everyone, people banging on about brexit despite us all knowing so little about it. Sorry if this is offensive /incoherent or botj its just a view i needed to offload. Sad

OP posts:
staydazzling · 26/11/2019 11:22

both even weve too many times proven the public en masse is either callous or lacking in understanding.

OP posts:
MustardScreams · 26/11/2019 11:22

Everyone has the right to vote. It doesn’t matter if they don’t understand, or don’t care, but the whole point of democracy is that everyone has the right.

All we can do is vote for what we want to happen, and hope enough people think the way that we do.

Goddessofgrowth · 26/11/2019 11:22

People who agree with you get to vote then, in other words?

5zeds · 26/11/2019 11:24

The more vote, the more will wake up.

Join in, turn up, be kind, very little else matters

Babybel90 · 26/11/2019 11:25

Everyone has to live with the consequences so everyone should have the opportunity to vote, informed or not.

AnchorDownDeepBreath · 26/11/2019 11:25

The answer to a lack of knowledge is not to leave the decision making to someone with more knowledge. It's to educate widely.

That said; you won't convince someone with no interest in politics to vote regardless of how many times you ask them too. They might register; they'll never prioritise actually going to vote. And people who do have strong opinions, whether they are misinformed or not, are likely to vote anyway.

churchandstate · 26/11/2019 11:25

Citizenship is the only requirement, I believe. And rightly so.

GREATAUNT1 · 26/11/2019 11:34

I was thinking along similar lines myself after reading certain threads on here. I’d insist they took an exam before even letting them anywhere near the polling station. People really don’t know why or what they’re voting for.

SilverySurfer · 26/11/2019 11:49

Presumably you're not including yourself in this group? No of course not, only those who have a different point of view. If only we could all be as intelligent and knowledgeable as you. Hmm

0/10

staydazzling · 26/11/2019 13:26

Great Aunt its depressing isnt it? no of course everyone should vote but i remember all the women few years back proudly shouting about voting UKIP and when i amongst others said you do realise they want to do away with maternity leave and sexual harassment laws, and they were like er, but immergrunts!

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.