Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To ask for MS Word help on here?!

17 replies

MontyBowJangles · 26/11/2019 10:09

Trying to edit a Word document so that it's clearer when printed...it has already been set up by a colleague and is perfect apart from the fact the top section has been set up as a 'Header' and so when printed has the effect of a watermark.

The top section has our logo in it and important info so I don't want it shaded out/greyscaled when printed...but I can't find how to undo this without deleting it all and starting again!

Please can someone help me? I'd be reallllllly grateful.

OP posts:
mrsbyers · 26/11/2019 10:11

Go to design and watermark , remove watermark

MontyBowJangles · 26/11/2019 10:16

I've tried that and it doesn't work :-( It's not a watermark per se, just that everything within the Header section looks greyed out when you click out of that box/print, if you see what I mean?

OP posts:
rbe78 · 26/11/2019 10:17

Have you tried actually printing it? It usually looks greyed/washed out on screen but solid when printed...give it a go!!

MontyBowJangles · 26/11/2019 10:19

Yes, and it still doesn't look great printed tbh! As it has the organisation's logo on it I really wanted it bold/to stand out.

Thanks for your help/ideas so far :-)

OP posts:
APerkyPumpkin · 26/11/2019 10:19

Can you view header and delete anything after the words that you want. just keep pressing delete...

wink1970 · 26/11/2019 10:27

Go into the header, copy the logo then delete it to clear the area.

Click out of the header and paste onto the actual page, then move it upwards by sliding the rule bar on the left or changing your margin sizes.

That's not perfect but will achieve what I think you want.

HoundOfTheBasketballs · 26/11/2019 10:27

Open up the header and highlight everything in it. Then cut it, close the header and paste the cut content into the top of the body of the document.

BlingLoving · 26/11/2019 10:29

I'm not entirely sure, but it might be that the style of the header has been selected as one that is greyscale (on mine, that looks like it's called Ion).

Go into the header (double click). You should then see a new drop down menu at the top called . If you look on the far left of that menu there's a drop down for just header. And it's a bit like a powerpoint slide layout menu - there are various options. Click on the top one, which on my computer is "Blank".

BlingLoving · 26/11/2019 10:31

this might help to show you.

To ask for MS Word help on here?!
HollowTalk · 26/11/2019 10:31

Can you highlight all the text and copy it onto a new blank document?

I wish I could get my hands on it - I love a challenge!

Librocubicularist · 26/11/2019 10:32

It could be a text effect. Highlight the text and logo then open text effects in the font menu to see if any of the effects have been adjusted.

MontyBowJangles · 26/11/2019 10:35

Hi

I've tried copying and pasting it all out of the header and into the main body of the document. It does solve the problem of it being greyed out, but the formatting has gone to pot now! As the document is a table of events, and the info that was originally in the header contains two logos....I tried adding a row above the table and merging them and putting the header info in there so it looks ok, but the logos aren't happy and the margins are out etc so it's gone from two pages to three! Am having a play but thinking it's more hassle than it's worth tbh.

Can you tell I've been a SAHM for five years so my admin skills are very rusty?! Grin

OP posts:
MontyBowJangles · 26/11/2019 10:51

@BlingLoving thanks, I've given that a go (had had a look before but wasn't sure) and if I choose a different style, eg Ion Dark, it deletes everything out of there?

@Librocubicularist thanks - have had a play but no effects have been added/transparency at 100% etc

OP posts:
BlingLoving · 26/11/2019 12:22

You need to choose style "blank"

Myotherusernameisonholiday · 26/11/2019 12:43

If the logos are now moving everything about then Try this, click on the image which should make the picture format tab appear at the top. Then where is says 'text wrapping' select that drop down list and choose 'in front of text'. Then you should be able to move it wherever you like and it shouldn't mess up everything else. I hope. I've not got word open in front of me so I really hope this is right! Good luck!

Atalune · 26/11/2019 12:46

Remove the header.

Add a text box where you want it.

Past in the logo.

This will hopefully not mess with your table.

Otherwise create a new doc, add the header first and paste the table in to the new doc.

SecondRow · 26/11/2019 13:10

It could be a text effect. Highlight the text and logo then open text effects in the font menu to see if any of the effects have been adjusted.

This. I think if your text colour is set to Automatic, as opposed to black, in a header that is "automatically" turned grey to distinguish the header from the body. If you highlight the text in the header you can select actual black.

Is the logo being greyed out too though? I'm not sure if that will be affected by selecting the whole header.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.