My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To let people know how to spoil their ballot?

33 replies

HoofWankingSpangleCunt · 25/11/2019 13:59

This election has really brought it home to me how uncomfortable I am voting for any of the three main parties. I don't want to vote for the local Independent on a donkey sanctuary ticket* just because I feel I have to vote for someone. If I do that my concerns about the other parties goes unnoticed.
So tonight Matthew, I'll be spoiling my ballot. It has to be done a certain way to count as spoilt. If enough of us do this then voices will be heard.
advice on how to do it correctly
I'm going to pop my AIBU Vote Button cherry on this thread as it seems apt.
*Or whatever the local issue is.

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

165 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
80%
You are NOT being unreasonable
20%
ChazsBrilliantAttitude · 25/11/2019 23:38

Spoiling your ballot is the lazy option. Its abdicating responsibility for making difficult political choices. If you can’t be bothered to engage in the political process then you forfeit the right to complain about the result.

BingoLittlesUncle · 26/11/2019 00:30

Total bollocks. Anything on a ballot paper that isn't a single X in a square by a candidate's name is a spoilt paper (& that includes a totally blank paper).

There's is no correct way to spoil a ballot paper and nobody reads, or cares, how they are spoilt or why.

SilverySurfer · 26/11/2019 02:53

Is this a joke? Do you honestly believe people don't know how to spoil their ballot? Hmm

GirlRaisedInTheSouth · 26/11/2019 03:43

Women died to give you the vote. You are being very childish.

AuntieStella · 26/11/2019 07:08

"Is this a joke? Do you honestly believe people don't know how to spoil their ballot?"

I read the link.

It's not a 'how to" guide, it's a campaigning leaflet seeking to have spoiled votes categorised and 'protest' votes (undefined) reported separately.

OP is being disingenuous, or has failed to realise the purpose of what she linked.

FizzyIce · 26/11/2019 07:21

If you want to throw away your vote then that’s fine but it’s so childish and serves no real purpose than to make you sound like a child having a tantrum

IdiotInDisguise · 26/11/2019 07:24

Spoiling a ballot is the same as a child refusing to have a sweet in protest. Nobody cares, it doesn’t make any difference and frankly, affects nobody.

Damntheman · 26/11/2019 09:48

If an Anarchist is willing to break his 40 year streak of protest non-voting in order to vote for a particular party to stop some of this madness.. I dare say people should be able to pick their 'least worst' and vote properly this time. Usually I am all for a protest vote/spoiled ballot, but this time feels different.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.