Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Help me make the right choice

5 replies

Candlesandrust · 23/11/2019 14:30

Would you take on another job in these circumstances.

I currently work 4 days a week, I enjoy my longer weekends. The money is the same per hour, but I'd be working five days in the new job and although money isn't everything the extra money from another day would be useful, although not essential. I have a great commute currently, the new job would mean an extra 40 minute drive each way. This will almost cancel out the extra day, however, the rate per hour will go up in three months.

My current job was taken following a very difficult and stressful few years in a fairly senior role. I gave up the senior role for a very stress free but mundane job (cleaning). I've found myself bored and quite honestly my mental health is suffering from the solitary nature of the role. I know I can do more, and I think this is constantly on my mind.

The new job is somewhere short of what I used to do, but is much more challenging mentally than what I'm doing currently. If you're wondering why the money is the same, the cleaning job is for a very wealthy businessman who pays over the odds, the new one is for a charity so paying under the odds.

Not really an AIBU but posting for a bit more traffic on a quiet Saturday afternoon.

Sorry if my post is a bit muddled. My head is! I'm struggling to make a decision, I'm terrified of making the wrong choice.

Your help would be appreciated.

OP posts:
Thestrangestthing · 23/11/2019 14:33

Not thinking of the money or the commute, which job would you rather be doing?

Thestrangestthing · 23/11/2019 14:34

Do you think the longer commute and the extra working day would affect your mental health?

rockofages · 23/11/2019 14:34

Think how much that extra day means to you. I work full time and dream of having an extra day off - if you can afford to work less days then do. Could you use the extra day off to something that stretches your brain? Either doing a course? U3A (if you’re old enough!) or volunteering for a charity? The longer commute would also put me off.

Candlesandrust · 23/11/2019 14:39

Up until taking on this cleaning job I've always worked five days and dreamed of dropping to four for a couple of years. To go back to five is a bit of a negative, but the extra money would be useful.

The commute again is something I did for years, I don't mind driving so that's not really an issue.

I think the work in the new job would be a lot more interesting and challenging and I'd enjoy it more but I'm worried a little about stressing out again and putting myself back in that difficult place. I think I need an element of stress to keep me interested, it's such a fine balance.

OP posts:
Thestrangestthing · 23/11/2019 18:29

I suppose it depends how much you want the extra money.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.