or
to access all these features

AIBU?

to not know who to vote for

24 replies

spacepyramid · 22/11/2019 23:07

I've intentionally left out which party is which

The choices:

1. One who is in the 'how high' mould - his party says jump and he says how high. I've met them several times and they are an affable, likeable individual but I do not agree with their political views at all. Pays lip service to issues which I consider to be important.

1. A person who has done a lot for the local community and who I have a lot of time for. They'd be good for the local area but their political party has views which I find unacceptable. Has done a lot for issues which are important to me.

1. One who I have never heard of. //www.whocanivotefor.co.uk has no information about them at all apart from a link to their party manifesto. Their website only lists their professional achievements and nothing about their political views or activities.

1. One who is standing on a one issue platform. They mention an issue which is important to me but come across as ticking a box to say that they have mentioned it. Ardent remainer.

1. A novelty candidate who I won't be considering, not least because I know them personally and they are an obnoxious individual.
OP posts:
Actionhasmagic · 22/11/2019 23:09

Anyone but Johnson

spacepyramid · 22/11/2019 23:09

That goes without saying.

OP posts:
MoonlightBonnet · 22/11/2019 23:10

Well which party would you like to be in government?

MissMarks · 22/11/2019 23:12

Anyone but the tories

Inebriati · 22/11/2019 23:12

It sounds like your best local bet is 2.
I'm considering voting for an independent, or for No One. The independent candidate has supported exclusion zones outside of abortion clinics, funding for the NHS, and a couple of other issues.

Same for me on the novelty vote, I wont even donate to his campaign even though he keeps asking. Unfortunately for him I have a long memory.

Apileofballyhoo · 22/11/2019 23:12

No 2, based on what you've said. You can lobby them about their party's views.

spacepyramid · 22/11/2019 23:26

Well which party would you like to be in government?

Right now? None of them - they all have views I find unacceptable.

OP posts:
Cinammoncake · 22/11/2019 23:35

2 or 4. Probably 4 if depending on how far you find 2's policies to be unacceptable. Or, vote tactically if you can bear it.

pasbeaucoupdegendarme · 22/11/2019 23:40

Vote tactically to keep the tories out.

BooFuckingHoo2 · 22/11/2019 23:43

@Actionhasmagic unless the OP lives in his constituency (which the OP rather indicates she doesn’t) she won’t be able to. I find it quite shocking people with such “informed” opinions don’t even have a basic grasp of the British voting system.

Papergirl1968 · 22/11/2019 23:47

I have a slightly different dilemma. Loath both Johnson and Corbyn. Our sitting MP, who is up for re-election, is Conservative, but seems to have done a fairly decent job.
So, do you vote for your local candidate, or the party (and therefore indirectly its leader)?
I’ve often voted Lib Dem in the past but that seems somewhat pointless now, as I can’t see them doing well.

averylongtimeago · 23/11/2019 00:05

Right now, unless you want Johnson and the Tory's for another 5 years, your choice is to vote tactically keep them out.

If this means holding your nose and voting for the libdems when you would normally vote labour, or labour when you would rather vote green- then so be it.

Papergirl1968 · 23/11/2019 00:13

But that would mean Corbyn as PM if they got in.
I’d be much more inclined to vote labour if they’d got a better leader.

spacepyramid · 23/11/2019 09:23

unless the OP lives in his constituency (which the OP rather indicates she doesn’t) she won’t be able to.

@BooFuckingHoo2 voting for Johnson is not an option, no.

OP posts:
fedup21 · 23/11/2019 09:28

But that would mean Corbyn as PM if they got in.I’d be much more inclined to vote labour if they’d got a better leader.

He’s 70-he’ll be gone soon.

If you don’t want the Tories in power, look and who stands the best chance locally at beating your Tory MP.

AwdBovril · 23/11/2019 09:29

Difficult. Usually I'd vote Lib Dem but they don't believe women are actually a real thing, so I just can't. Corbyn is dreadful (quite liked him at first, gah), & I'd only vote Tory to keep Britan First or similar out.

happinessischocolate · 23/11/2019 09:32

I’d be much more inclined to vote labour if they’d got a better leader.

Seriously? Did you what the question time leadership special last night? Which one of those party leaders do you want representing us abroad?

It was clear that Corbyn knows what he's talking about, and he cares about the issues, Johnson just spouts soundbites about "oven ready" and "getting Brexit done"

And the reality is none of the others are going to be PM so it's a choice between tories who have had 3 leaders in 3 years and will have another soon if tories lose and labour

KittyMarion · 23/11/2019 09:34

If you don't want another Conservative government you need to vote tactically.

lljkk · 23/11/2019 09:54

5 is obnoxious, you already ruled out
4 at least hasn't offended you (I think), and has one thing you like
3 you have too little info to judge them by (out)
2 has shown personal integrity & shared values, even if you don't care for the party
1 you find shallow or insincere, possibly arrogant, lean toward out

I reckon you're down to choosing between 2 & 4.

Hefzi · 23/11/2019 10:01

2, I think - you're voting for someone to represent your constituency after all.

LouisaJenny · 23/11/2019 10:05

Agree with Happiness

Personally I love JC but if you vote Labour you’re voting for the Party, not him. I think he would make an excellent PM, however he is easily replaceable.

Cockadoodledooo · 23/11/2019 10:23

I wonder if you're in the same constituency as me based on your descriptions. I'm going for number 2. Number 1 is only in it for himself.

Trebla · 23/11/2019 10:25

spacepyramid · 23/11/2019 11:34

@Cockadoodledooo #1 is probably only in it for himself, yes.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.